Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing my home address to qualify for rent allowance

Options
  • 07-03-2011 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭

I am living at home with my parents but renting accomodation elsewhere. As my official address is my parents address I want to know how would I go about changing it to my rented address?
    I am working at the moment but I may not be musch longer. I won't qualify for rent allowance if I am unemployed but "a dependant".
    I have only moved into the place I am renting about three weeks ago. I have to have it as my permanent address for 6 months I think?
    Sorry, I am sure this has been answered here before but I did a search and couldn't find it.:o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

When you say 'official address' what do you mean? If your working and currently not claiming anything who are you updating with your new address?

If you've moved just update records [bank account, work payroll etc] with your new address and you have your lease and bills in your name with your new address on them as proof that you are living there.

And yes you need to be renting 6 months to qualify for rent allownace and/or be on the housing list, you would need to speak to your SWO for full details.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭lukin

ztoical wrote: »
    When you say 'official address' what do you mean?
    I mean how do the social welfare check that yoy are living at the address I say I am living at?
    If your working and currently not claiming anything who are you updating with your new address?
    Nobody, I just want to know do I only have to notify social welfare only when I begin to claim unemployment benefit
    If you've moved just update records [bank account, work payroll etc] with your new address and you have your lease and bills in your name with your new address on them as proof that you are living there.
    Cool, do I have to update all my bills or just one that I can use as proof ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

lukin wrote: »
    I am living at home with my parents but renting accomodation elsewhere. As my official address is my parents address I want to know how would I go about changing it to my rented address?
    I am working at the moment but I may not be musch longer. I won't qualify for rent allowance if I am unemployed but "a dependant".
    I have only moved into the place I am renting about three weeks ago. I have to have it as my permanent address for 6 months I think?
    Sorry, I am sure this has been answered here before but I did a search and couldn't find it.:o

Log onto www.revenue.ie then go into PAYE Anytime. You can update your details from there (once registered which might take a few days while you wait for your activation PIN). You will also need your LL details, including PPS number (although it can be done without this if you have their other details, I believe). It's a decent enough site and that's how I got my rent relief.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭electron

And yes you need to be renting 6 months to qualify for rent allownace and/or be on the housing list, you would need to speak to your SWO for full details.

at the same address? what if i was renting for 6 months at a different address but now i've moved? will i qualify if i provide proof that before i moved i was renting elsewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭pooch90

SteoL wrote: »
    Log onto www.revenue.ie then go into PAYE Anytime. You can update your details from there (once registered which might take a few days while you wait for your activation PIN). You will also need your LL details, including PPS number (although it can be done without this if you have their other details, I believe). It's a decent enough site and that's how I got my rent relief.

Think it's RA the OP is looking for not rent relief.

• Advertisement

pooch90 wrote: »

Oops! My bad :o

pooch90 wrote: »

Yes, rent allowance is what I am asking about. Do I have to change my home address on revenue.ie for that? (I have a logon account)

lukin wrote: »
    Yes, rent allowance is what I am asking about. Do I have to change my home address on revenue.ie for that? (I have a logon account)

No sorry didn't mean to misdirect you, I misread your OP and thought it was rent relief you were enquiring about.

SteoL wrote: »
    No sorry didn't mean to misdirect you, I misread your OP and thought it was rent relief you were enquiring about.

No bother;didn't even know there was a thing called rent relief:)
    I'd still like to know what I have to do to qualify for rent allowance though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

It's the Community Welfare Officer that deal with rent allowance. You would need a letter from the landlord (or your rental agreement) showing the date that your contract with the landlord started on. This is also shown by a receipt for your deposit. Proof of address is in the form of utility bills but depends on your rent agreement if you pay utilities or if its all included in rent. It is the landlord that must be registered with Revenue as he is the person the CWO is paying. More infor HERE

• Advertisement

Plazaman wrote: »
    It's the Community Welfare Officer that deal with rent allowance. You would need a letter from the landlord (or your rental agreement) showing the date that your contract with the landlord started on. This is also shown by a receipt for your deposit. Proof of address is in the form of utility bills but depends on your rent agreement if you pay utilities or if its all included in rent. It is the landlord that must be registered with Revenue as he is the person the CWO is paying. More infor HERE

Cheers thanks. I would assume my landlord is registred with the revenue. If he is OK with getting paid the rent by the Welfare then that is OK. I didn't get a receipt for my deposit, he is a bit half-assed that way.
    Just wondering do I have to do all this when I lose my job or should I do it now (get a letter from my landlord etc). (I obviously don't qualify for rent allowance at the mo as I am working)
    Also,my name would not be on the address of the utility bills though, it would be the landlords

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭electron

i'd say utility bills are not required if you are applying for your current address anyway (ie your lease will double as proof of address); i could be wrong though... anyone confirm?

Advertisement