Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Residency v non-residency

Options
  • 07-03-2011 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi,
    I'm wondering if there is such a thing as an idiot's guide to the issue of residency v non-residency.
    I moved abroad a few months ago (outside EU) but technically my primary residence is still in Ireland. I am on a career break from work and may or may not go back. I own 2 houses in Ireland, one my home, the other an investment which is rented. I am not working at the moment but may take up employment in the future.
    I'm trying to figure out how officially changing my primary place of residence will affect tax / access to health services etc.
    I don't even know how to go about giving up Ireland as primary place of residency.
    Any tips for sites or comments welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Limerk67 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I'm wondering if there is such a thing as an idiot's guide to the issue of residency v non-residency.
    I moved abroad a few months ago (outside EU) but technically my primary residence is still in Ireland. I am on a career break from work and may or may not go back. I own 2 houses in Ireland, one my home, the other an investment which is rented. I am not working at the moment but may take up employment in the future.
    I'm trying to figure out how officially changing my primary place of residence will affect tax / access to health services etc.
    I don't even know how to go about giving up Ireland as primary place of residency.
    Any tips for sites or comments welcome.

Check if the country your in has a Tax Treaty with Ireland, thats the most important thing really. EU/NON-EU has nothing to do with Taxation.

Social Part might be tricky

Residency for Tax reasons is wherever you spend 185 days / year in the case that you travel regularly between two countries.

Advertisement