Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Person of Interest [** Spoilers **]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,132 ✭✭✭✭Penn

As amazing and all as Amy Acker's (absolutely awesome accidental alliteration) death and performance was and has been over the course of the series, it takes something really special to overshadow that.

So take a f*cking bow, Michael Emerson. That speech was unbef*ckinglievable. 3 episodes left and they're absolutely going for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,253 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

As was pointed out elsewhere, Amy's getting typecast as a character dying and coming back as a God. :)

Excellent episode. I'm guessing Team Machine, especially Shaw, won't be worrying too much about limiting themselves to kneecaps going forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,638 ✭✭✭squonk

I've just finished watching. Oh my God! My stomach! I'm actually speechless. I'm going to write more tomorrow but, for now, that is one of the finest pieces of television I have ever seen! I can't say any more now I'm just a bundle of emotions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

Penn wrote: »
    As amazing and all as Amy Acker's (absolutely awesome accidental alliteration) death and performance was and has been over the course of the series, it takes something really special to overshadow that.

So take a f*cking bow, Michael Emerson. That speech was unbef*ckinglievable. 3 episodes left and they're absolutely going for it.
    Mr E wrote: »
    I cried.

We're gonna need a support group :'(

I took it that root was a gonner when she was shot but for some strange reason it only sank in a)when we heard root voicing the machine and B) after reading other's posts here. Her death reminded me a bit of Joss' death since when Joss died it was so hard to imagine the show without her. And now root :'(

Unlike other shows I've no friends into this and it doesn't seem to make mainstream media here like other shows do. I think I'm in denial. This little action procedural I took a punt at on Netflix 2 years ago has grown in scope big time, has taken me in and is now going out guns blazing :(

As amazing as that was the car mounted minigun was stupid.
    I know that they exist but that would actually go through about 10 engines, it barely scratched the paint of Root's boot lid.

• Advertisement

I agree with the car-mounted mini gun being a bit out of place. PoI has always been a pretty subtle show and the gun felt totally out of place. It still made for thrilling TV though.

I have never been as captivated by an episode of TV as I was watching last night. My heart was in my mouth for most of it and you really didn't know who would go.

Elias was a big blow. I've always liked him as a guy behind the scenes who can make things happen. He was a great covert member of Team Machine and I couldn't really believe it when he went.

Shaw and Root's showdown with Samaritan was excellent. I think the ferocity surprised me. I think it symbolises that the whole thing is now in endgame where Samaritan is pulling out a steamroller to squash a mouse that just refuses to die. If anything took me out of that moment it was the flirting between Root and Shaw. The spent so much time not shooting that I started to wonder who the Samaritan agents were shooting at.

The car trip with Root and Finch was just gripping. I knew something was going to happen but I was expecting them to get sideswiped rather than being taken by a sniper. My god it was so tense. I have no idea what Root said because I was just on edge the entire time.

If ever a show needed an "If you've been affected by tonight's show please call..." tagline at the end it was this. I'm still coming to terms with the fact that Root is really gone. Elias and Root in one episode was huge. It's a testament to the quality of writing and acting in the show that I'm finding myself grieving. I'm glad that the next few weeks are one episode a week because I think I'll need time to adjust if things keep going at this rate.

My god but Michael Emmerson stole the show. It takes something special to top the deaths of a character the stature of Root but I think his conversation with Samaritan at the episode's end really nailed it. He's always been a great actor and strong character but he really went over and above for that scene. He deserves an award of some sort for that scene alone. I also love the implication that now Finch is a dangerous quantity that may need Team Machine's intervention. I have a horrible feeling that we could see John taking down Harold. If that happens I'll need to book some therapy now.

If the remainder of the show continues like this then we're in for a treat. I can honestly say that that episode last night was 40 of the finest minutes of television I have ever watched. As far as I'm concerned the show is now up there with the likes of The Wire, the Shield and Breaking Bad. I've really liked the show from Day 1 but it looks like this is going to become a cult classic in the coming years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,832 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

It was also the 100th episode which is something I didn't no going into it. If I had know that I might have expected something huge to happen. But to be honest that episode went beyond huge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Good article on Variety on a producer's favourite guest stars.

http://variety.com/gallery/person-of-interest-producers-remember-the-most-memorable-guest-stars/#!1/person-of-interest-guest-stars/

Did you know that Carrie Preston (Grace) and Michael Emerson (Finch) are married in real life?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,253 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Yeah knew that from when just looking her up when she was in True Blood.

I'm just thinking of the opening we had after Carter's death with Johnny's Cash's Hurt. wonder will we have one just as good next week

• Advertisement

It's funny but as good as Taraji P. Henson is in Empire, she isn't half as impressive as she was in PoI. Carter was a great character and well written. There isn't quite the depth to Cookie on Empire which is par for the course as depth isn't something Empire is really about. She made both parts her own though. They really picked some great actors when they cast PoI.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Ah, so in the opening monologue in the first episode of the season, that wasn't Root talking :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,301 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

ixoy wrote: »
    Ah, so in the opening monologue in the first episode of the season, that wasn't Root talking :(

Well it would suggest given the voice the machine took that no it isn't.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I watch this show via OSMC on my Raspberry PI. I've named it Samaritan :D

https://twitter.com/amyacker/status/738762625308368896

Not sure why she's suprised. She took a character on a page of a script and made it into something we all loved.

I've decided to rewatch from the beginning. I've seen the first episode numerous times so started with ep2 tonight. No mesing around here, straight into the thriller aspect that is almost Hitchcockian.

Love the Joss character so much :(

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭fiddlechic

Gosh, it's just so good. One of my favourite songs getting a whirl, at a most perfect time, sealed it for me - best telly every! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KehwyWmXr3U

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Definitely one of my favourite shows..i'm trying to decide between rewatching from season 1 before it ends or Banshee. I think POI wins out.
    The only other time I've rewatched a show before it ended was BSG and I rate that as my favourite tv show ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Just caught up on eps and 10 . Kinda wished I'd watched them a night apart, cos the first was pretty decent. A loose thread I'd completely forgotten about wrapped up, nice to see them find time for that in an abbreviated season. But it was blown away by the second one.

Plus dammit, they caught me again! Fool me once, etc.
    Between Elias, Dominic, and now The Voice that's the third time they've pulled exactly the same bloody switch and I've fallen for it every time! I'm going to credit it to the writing though, rather than me just being that gullible.

But yeah, the second episode, wow. Had a feeling Root was in trouble after her conversation with Shaw, and then Samaritan's new recruit showing up. I didn't actually recognise her in the morgue. Seemed to be a fair bit of time passed for some reason between them being pulled out of the car and Fusco getting to her.

There's a bit of me that worries
    this is the Machine's simulation of the one way it can win, by killing Root and forcing Harold's hand. Either that, or it had already simulated it and let it play out anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Just rewatching the pilot and the first number is Raylan Given's wife in Justified. Never copped that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Blazer wrote: »
    Just rewatching the pilot and the first number is Raylan Given's wife in Justified. Never copped that.

I'd somehow never copped until further up the page that Grace was Arlene from True Blood. I am a bit slow.

Also, at the time I thought Harold's song in the wedding episode was maybe apt for the parallel Root/Resse fight scenes, but a little bit - I dunno, twee, odd, out of character?
    But it keeps popping into my head the last day or so - it was out of character for him, but I think it's more than just him playing the 'Irish uncle' role. Given the choice of any song, he's subconsciously choosing to step away from hiding in the shadows. He's been leaning towards open rebellion, yet tried making a massive effort not to give the machine the advantage it needs. But he's been on the point of breaking for a while, and now he has. With a pretty awesome monologue.
    (Or, you know, maybe I'm just trying to retroactively fit a slightly weak episode into the overall picture. But I can't help feeling it works better in retrospect)

Agree with MOH, Finch has been dealing with this huge burden ever since he created The Machine. Hessuch a great character, guided by ethics and morals which is unusual for this era of film-quality TV series that are obsessed with the baddies eg. Walter White, Tony Soprano etc.

It's just dawning on me just how realised Finch's moral character is. Haven't seen anything like it since The Wire with people like McNulty.

I just want to hug Michael Emerson

I'm baffled that Person of Interest hasn't gained the kind of mainstream praise other shows have. Particularly since it involves issues around surveillance that came out in the Edward Snowden leaks a few years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,832 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Amazing fantastic what a great episode and what a stunning use of previous numbers this show really going out in style in what may be the greatest final season I have ever watched.

Amazing fantastic what a great episode and what a stunning use of previous numbers this show really going out in style in what may be the greatest final season I have ever watched.

My thoughts exactly. I was giddy at the use of previous numbers.

Crying shame that this show as been so overlooked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Brilliant episode. The new assets scene at the end caused a liiiiittle bit of eye rolling (but just a little bit). I'll let it slide. :o

2 to go...

brilliant episode bar the ending. I like the machine having a voice now and even harold seemed to admit he liked hearing roots voice at the end. We get to hear how it thinks.

The end wasn't great. So the machine is just randomly selecting previous numbers to help and team machine isn't aware of it even though one of team machine built the fecking thing ? Really ? get up the yard lads.

The final two episodes should be team machine racing to destroy Samaritan and kicking it electronically in the stones over and over again.

Also did carter know about the machine before she died ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Occono

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    brilliant episode bar the ending. I like the machine having a voice now and even harold seemed to admit he liked hearing roots voice at the end. We get to hear how it thinks.

The end wasn't great. So the machine is just randomly selecting previous numbers to help and team machine isn't aware of it even though one of team machine built the fecking thing ? Really ? get up the yard lads.

The final two episodes should be team machine racing to destroy Samaritan and kicking it electronically in the stones over and over again.

Also did carter know about the machine before she died ?

Yes, Carter told Finch about her deduction that The Machine existed before she died.

Good episode but not quite up there with the previous few in my opinion but, having said that, a pretty good PoI episode wipes the floor with most show's season finalés. I don't know why Harry was going to Texas to unleash the virus. It seems it could have been done from anywhere. That aspect of the show is a bit troubling now. Harry may be turning into that which they've been trying to stop all along. I have a feeling this may not end well. It was also good to see Team Machine functioning without Harry.

In a way, bad and all as the other Team Machine were, it did answer a question I've had since day 1. If the numbers are all that important, why is it only NY area based numbers are worth doing anything about? Now we know there are other teams but I don't get that Harry didn't know about this at least, or Root as well. To be honest the alternative Team Machine were like something you'd see if the show was on SyFy. I got a real SyFy show vibe from the last scene! :).

Now we're down to the final two episodes. I'm expecting great things and a huge finish.

• Advertisement

He went to obtain the virus

Advertisement