Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whiskey and Using a Decanter

Options
  • 07-03-2011 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I am just wondering what people's opinions and/or experience are with using a decanter (crystal etc...) for "storing" your whiskey.

I have a lovely Crystal decanter set for the past few years and it's mainly just been an ornament - I have never actually put anything in it up to this point.

I was thinking of making some use of it for my finer whiskeys, such as 18yo. Jameson.

Would this be a bad move, I've heard that the more expensive whiskeys should be kept in their original bottles etc... in order to preserve taste.

Is there any truth to this?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I always think it looks cool/sophisticated on TV whenever some rich businessman type has someone in his office/living room and pours a whiskey or brandy from a nice crystal decanter.

I can't see how it would alter the taste as it's just being moved from one glass bottle to another. It's not like the whiskey's original bottle is made from special glass. Probably best to make sure the stopper properly fits to ensure nothing gets in or out while it's being stored just.

Some expensive rums, cognacs etc are bottled in decanters as standard as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Store in a cool place out of direct sunlight and should be alright. Green and brown bottle filter out some of the direct light but needless as rarely bottles are left where the UV rays from sunlight can shine on them as this can affect some whiskeys.

Me, I'm a JD man, clear bottle, nothing will feck that up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Brockagh

The whiskey will change if it's left open for a while. I'm sure a decanter would be fine if it was sealed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭davros

Lead crystal? I wouldn't store anything in a lead crystal decanter myself because the lead leaches into the liquid. So they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

if the bottle is sealed then best to leave it where it is

the decanting of an already open bottle will have little impact on the taste one way or another

• Advertisement
Advertisement