Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RC Planes - Phoenix Park

Options
  • 07-03-2011 4:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi there,

Is there still a club for rc planes in phoenix park (dublin) at the weekend?
    If so, can you please provide details.

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Here you go.

Leinster Model Flying Club
    Phone: 01-6241585
    Email: lmfclub@hotmail.com
    www.lmfclub.com

Flying Site Location Coordinates
    Phoenix Park 5321N 0620W

• Registered Users Posts: 29 laurah

Thanks Prosperous Dave.

Would this be the best place to try and sell a plane or should i just put up an ad?

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭syl77

Try advert on maci.ie (buy and sell section get alot of traffic) - email the webdesigner, his email details should be on contact us page.
    Also try adverts.ie and place a link to it from here.

What plane are you selling Laurah? Just curious as I have 7 planes myself and my sitting room is getting quite crowded.

You could try ebay as there is a lot of traffic in selling radio controlled planes. Guy I know put up an ad on ebay for a Parkzone Spitfire and it was sold within an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭bandit197

Laurah and Dave, I have sent you both PM's. I'm looking to get into the hobby myself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

bandit197 wrote: »
    Laurah and Dave, I have sent you both PM's. I'm looking to get into the hobby myself.

What are you interested in getting into, planes?

Yeah I want to start with planes, I'm looking for a good deal on a starter aircraft
    to learn on. Then when I can master flying, and landing, I will probably look into building one.

I recommended the radian glider to prosperous dave when he came on looking for ideas, and he has got a few planes now as you can tell from his post. So he might tell you what he thinks of starting on that. When i started it was all nitro engine power. Now there are great electric options.

Would be interesting to see what plane the OP is selling here.

Thanks for the advice, I will certainly look into it.

I had a look at your youtube page, amazing videos.

There are plenty of nitro engine trainer planes too. Electric is nice and clean, easy to get going, and lipo batteries can be got cheap enough now. Why i recommended the radian before was it has everything in one box, cheap enough for a full range proper flying aircraft, and you can learn properly on them. As i said, prosperous dave will be a better judge of that, as he started with one. I started with a Precedent Hi-boy:D

Either way, you will need someone to give you some flying lessons with any plane you start with. Its not too difficult to learn, but not quite as easy as it can look when watching someone flying one.

• Advertisement

Hi Bandit,

Got your pm. I'm only considering off loading one of my planes as I have nowhere to store them yet and the house is getting a little packed. However, I'm looking at getting a new shed for the garden to store them and so might hang onto them all.

Robbie recommended the Radian Glider to me a year ago and I went ahead and bought one. http://www.rcpitstop.co.uk/parkzone-radian-2m-rtf-electric-powered-glider-pkz4700-1392-p.asp

It is quite a large plane, about a 2 metre windspan but the wings separate for storage and carrying in a car. She might be considered a starter plane, but what a plane she is. I've gone on to buy 7 faster planes but I still fly the Radian regularly. She can power up to several hundred feet (or higher if your eyes are up to it:D) and then you switch off the motor and her large wings keep her gliding for literally an hour once you get proficient with her. Compare that with the 10 minute flight times of other planes! I velcro a small camera to the wing and get some great aerial videos for watching on my pc later. I let the batteries in my transmitter get too weak last August and the result was that the Radian went out of control and flew away from me. I was on a hill and could watch her until she went down and so I had an idea of where she crashed. I found her an hour later and despite crashing into a 50 foot tall tree and falling to the ground, she was undamaged. All this drama was captured by the onboard camera - see here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lj5vND4VWTk.

Another plane that you could consider is the Supercub. She's a great little high winged trainer that's very easy to fly. I'm teaching my 10 year old daughter how to fly it at the moment and she's finding it pretty easy, though she prefers the Radian tbh.

While you have to shell out on a plane and a transmitter first time out, the beauty of it is that the same transmitter can be used when you buy your next plane (trust me you will as I've now got seven since I got the Radian last February 2010!)

Check out rcpitstop.co.uk, modelmaniacs.co.uk, wonderlandmodels.co.uk, or if you want to buy Irish, Boyztoys.ie.

While it might look simple to fly a rc plane, I'd agree with Robbie that a lesson or two is an excellent idea or your first flight could be very short. It'd be a shame that the absence of a few tips and pointers could cause a crash and put you off this excellent hobby. If you want any advice, post on here or pm me.

Cheers for the advice and links Dave. I am certainly considering a Radian now.
    i have someone who will give me a few lessons too. I have flown a nitro trainer for a few mins before and loved it.
    I watched your videos, very nice.

bandit197 wrote: »
    Cheers for the advice and links Dave. I am certainly considering a Radian now.
    i have someone who will give me a few lessons too. I have flown a nitro trainer for a few mins before and loved it.
    I watched your videos, very nice.

I flew the t-rex 600, the radian, and a p51 mustang nitro plane in mayo a few times, on the beach near rathlacken. A great place to fly.

I know where that beach is, Id say its a great spot for flying.

Yes a great place to fly, took some pics the last time i flew there in 2009 with the radian. Its brilliant for the P51 mustang nitro one because the beach is huge and has good compact sand. These were taken with a flycam1 v2 camera.
    Rathlacken2.jpg

Rathlacken1.jpg

Can see Rathlacken Pier in this one near the top right of pic
    rathlacken3.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Jon B good

Robbie, Did you know that there is a flying club not too far from the sligo mayo boarder?

Jon B good wrote: »
    Robbie, Did you know that there is a flying club not too far from the sligo mayo boarder?

Well the beach is a great place to fly, so why not there? I was just visiting somewhere right beside the beach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Jon B good

My apologies, I had meant to address that remark to Bandit who lives in the area and might like some assistance in learning to fly.

Advertisement