Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPad: what do you it for?

Options
  • 07-03-2011 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hello,

Is 2011 going to be the year where we might see the tablets (iPad or Android ones) starting to replace the laptops or maybe, in a long term, personal computers?
    I've been reading the news regarding tablets launches (iPad 2, Motorola Xoom, Android 3.0, iOS 4.3...) and it looks like we're heading towards it.

However, until last year, tablets were inexistent but then the iPad appeared. After almost a year, I'd like to know your opinions about tablets, whether you use or not, if you're an iPad or Samsung Galaxy user, anything that is related to this subject, please speak!

I am personally in favor of the iPad 2 to be launch soon but what about Android tablets? I have a HTC Desire and I have to say, it's a very piece of machinery! So I might wait for them...

Go wild (not too much) and share your mind here.

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Tablets have been around for years, for most things, they're pretty siht.

I won't be replacing a laptop with 1.. ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Esmimyst

I think the tablets you are talking about can't really be part of the new models that have been released last year and will be released in the future.
    Or are you talking about the tablets released in the past year?

Since the touch-enabled (resistive first and then capacitive) phones became very popular, a lot has changed. Myself found those touch phones useless and now, it's the contrary.

Tablets since the launch of the iPad are somehow an evolution (or revolution) in media content usage from the "smart-phones" like the HTC Desire or Samsung Galaxy S.

Are there any other points of view?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

i was at the top of dubai's equivilant of the empire state building and some guy was reading a book on it. lord knows why he bothered to travel all that distance to do that, but anyway.

i guess i'd use it when i was lying around the house and what not but probably never enough to justify spending money on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 BellevueBabel

I want to be able to do the following
    1. Be able to create and edit documents, spreadsheets and presentations
    2. I want to be able to do this anywhere there is a wireless or 3G signal
    3. I want to not have to carry a netbook around with me( too bulky)
    4. I want to be able to browse the internet with the same ease as picking up a magazine
    5. I want to have the least number of devices in my bag when I'm on the move

I know there are lots of choices out there and right now I am confused. I have a netbook( samsung nc10) I have a smartphone( Samsung Galaxy), I use vodafone for phone, I use UPC for home broadband, I have an eircom 3G mobile broadband.

I like the idea of the iPad, I believe it is reliable in terms of what it does, I also believe it is restricted in what it does or allows you to do.

I like the andriod smartphone I have, I accept it sometimes goes AWOL and I have to power cycle it. I like the openess, I like the sense that is was designed to allow me experiment.

Right now I have lots of devices but not a tablet and I have many providers of services.

What I would like is to have is a tablet that I can use as my primary interface with my digital world whether at home, in wireless hotspots and in 3G land and I want to have a separate device which is a smartphone because I won't always be bringing my tablet with me.

So what I would like views and advice on is what are the options that allow me to have a tablet as my main digital interface, a smartphone in my pocket and remote accessing my netbook at home.

Options for tablet: iOS or Android
    Options for phone: iPhone or Android
    Options for Home computer: Netbook or ??
    Options for BB provider: ????
    Options for mobile BB: phone or separate account

Are these completely separate options, if not what are the constraints to avoid.
    represents the best option

Advertisement