Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City - Help required!

Options
  • 07-03-2011 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

Hi All,
    Myself and a few friends are heading to Cork city this weekend.
    None of us have ever been out in Cork City before, the question i have is fairly simple - Which are the best areas/streets to go to for pubs?
    We dont fancy sitting in the same pub all night, so would like to do a bit of a crawl.
    Any reccomendations greatly recieved.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Hi All,
    None of us have ever been out in Cork City before, the question i have is fairly simple - Which are the best areas/streets to go to for pubs?
    We dont fancy sitting in the same pub all night, so would like to do a bit of a crawl.

Thanks in advance!

2 Streets really, Oliver Plunkett Street & Washington street, loads of pubs & clubs on both. A lot will tell you to start at Oliver Plunkett street and end on Washington street.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭boris george

murphym7 wrote: »
    2 Streets really, Oliver Plunkett Street & Washington street, loads of pubs & clubs on both. A lot will tell you to start at Oliver Plunkett street and end on Washington street.

Thats great, many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭BarneyMagee

The corner of Castle Street and Cornmarket Street is lively and then towards the corner of South main Street and Washington Street.

Some good lively bars include:
    The Woodford
    The Roundy
    The Bodega
    The Raven
    Suas

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Depends on what type of pubs and ages ye are really and where ye staying.
    MacCurtain Street and on to Bierhaus and if we make it the Franciscan well is my favourite pub crawl area.
    Start on tucky street and move along south main street to north main street next best.

Lot of pubs on Oliver plunket street and washington street too but not the best in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Cadyboo

Hi All,

Thanks in advance!

The best way we can help you is if you tell us your age range, taste in music, if you want a quiet pub crawl or a mad bender type of thing.
    And Ill just say that for most pubs in the city at weekends, men have to wear shoes, and no track tops, or hoodies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Daegerty

you have to go to the Bróg at some point. The place stinks to high heaven but its busy out. Get there before the expensive pints come in though. They change prices half way through the night

The Woodford - very mature crowd, you won't see many mini skirts in here
    The Roundy - I won't comment as I'll get banned
    The Bodega - has improved drastically since the revamp, free in b4 11.30 so it's not as snobby as it was, it was a haven for knob ends whose ole lad had a few bob.
    The Raven - very good pub but perhaps not for a group of lads
    Suas - decent but can be very quite for no particular reason.

OP, as Caddyboo mentioned your ages are needed really, lots of places about but if ye are early 20s there are lots of places ye won't want to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

I think there needs to be a "coming to cork, where's the best pubs/eateries" sticky thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭nickcave

I think more info is needed regarding the OP's taste. Taste in music, beer, other people etc.

For me it might be something like Sin É, then across to the Abbott's Ale House, then the Bierhaus, maybe take in the Mutton Lane and the Oval. Maybe head to Tom Barry's for one. For later on possibly the Slate or Crane Lane.

So logistically that's Coburg St. followed by Pope's Quay and onto Patrick's St. Then to Tuckey St. and Barracks St.

nickcave wrote: »
    I think more info is needed regarding the OP's taste. Taste in music, beer, other people etc.

For me it might be something like Sin É, then across to the Abbott's Ale House, then the Bierhaus, maybe take in the Mutton Lane and the Oval. Maybe head to Tom Barry's for one. For later on possibly the Slate or Crane Lane.

So logistically that's Coburg St. followed by Pope's Quay and onto Patrick's St. Then to Tuckey St. and Barracks St.

....... then down to Ollie Plunk, that's a lot of walking for an evening out :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭nickcave

RoverJames wrote: »
    ....... then down to Ollie Plunk, that's a lot of walking for an evening out :pac:

OK, well maybe just a couple then. I've walked further than that for a good pint...

Just don't stay in Riordan's all night is basically all I'm saying.

Advertisement