Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questions to ask a landscaper

Options
  • 07-03-2011 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    I'm in the process of getting quotes from various landscapers for paving and lawn laying.

Are there any questions in particular that you think would be pertinent to ask (in the manner of, if I knew then what I know now!).

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Hi guys,
    I'm in the process of getting quotes from various landscapers for paving and lawn laying.

Are there any questions in particular that you think would be pertinent to ask (in the manner of, if I knew then what I know now!).

Thanks

Things you need to be able to communicate

How do you want it to look?
    Do you have a sketch?
    Do you know of any underlying pipes or something else that might get damaged?
    What your total budget is?

Things to ask them:
    Examples of recent jobs, photos, references etc
    How do they expect payment, is there a contract to sign, will they accept you holding a final payment until once you are satisfied
    How long, how many of them, times they will start and finish

If you are doing like for like quotes pick a quantity and type of lawn and slabs so you get decent quotes back.
    If you are vague, you will get vague quotes back
    Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Things you need to be able to communicate

How do you want it to look?
    Do you have a sketch?
    Do you know of any underlying pipes or something else that might get damaged?
    What your total budget is?

Things to ask them:
    Examples of recent jobs, photos, references etc
    How do they expect payment, is there a contract to sign, will they accept you holding a final payment until once you are satisfied
    How long, how many of them, times they will start and finish

If you are doing like for like quotes pick a quantity and type of lawn and slabs so you get decent quotes back.
    If you are vague, you will get vague quotes back
    Good luck

Q's for a professional Landscaper

1. Establish credentials (qualifications, memebership of relevant professional association etc), verify competencies (photos, client references, and agree to visit previous client site etc). How long co trading (sole trader/ltd co), are sub-sontractors involved, if so who is responsible?
    2. Obtain copy of Public liability insurance policy (ring the insurers! - some cowboys using fake/cancelled policies)
    3. Prepare a brief of elements you would like to incorporate and highlighting any aspects that are major concern/priority.
    4. Challenge the landscaper to make design proposals, if they can't find one that can! Unless you know exactly what it is you want (rare) allow each company to develop own design.
    5. Some may be able to do design, fewer may do a drawing whilst some charge for any drawing.
    6. DO NOT indicate budget, instead discuss verbal cost indicators during initial site visit/meeting. If costs seem higher, you might offer some feedback. As a general rule, better to scope design and make revisions with an itemised quotation, which should make it possible to compare pro rata costings. No two quotes are going to be identical.
    7. Determine what are the payment terms are and any contingencies or how unforeseen costs might be accomodated.
    8. Start/finish dates are relatively straightforward (tip: clarify the quote is based on job rate and not time, eg, there are no hidden penalty clauses if work is delayed due to weather, no materials (do not order any materials/skips) etc. Ensure landscaper is fully responsible for project management from start to finish.

Note: some aspects of landscaping may be subject to planning permission, check if this applies and if so who is reponsible for making planning application. Additional time and costs apply to all planning apps.

I would recommend that you select a shortlist from the Association of Landscape Contractors of Ireland (www.alci.ie) as the association can also provide valuable assistance if in the unlikely event of any dispute arising during/after project completion. ALCI members are professional and work is vetted as part of the membership process. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Is he or she fully qualified and certified (provide proof) and does he or she have full public liability insurance too (provide insurance proof).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

Thanks everyone, I appreciate you taking the time to answer.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,493 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

MOD: I've moved magspar posts into a seperate thread as they are dragging this thread off-topic :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement