Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3v card. Use in shops?

Options
  • 07-03-2011 5:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭

Can i use a 3v voucher card in shops and if so how?? Thanks very much.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Dusty87 wrote: »
    Can i use a 3v voucher card in shops and if so how?? Thanks very much.

No you can't I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Dermo

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭T17cH

O2 have a new card out its got chip and pin its 4.99 in any the stores and you can top it up in the payzone stores http://www.o2online.ie/o2/o2-money/?cm_sp=Prepay-February-_-O2-Money-_-HP-Banner1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

Thanks folks. Feck it anyway. No money on me, and have a bit on the 3v card and need to buy something tonight. May go without now:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

Thanks folks. Feck it anyway. No money on me, and have a bit on the 3v card and need to buy something tonight. May go without now:(

got any friends or family you could PayPal the money to in exchange for cash.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

got any friends or family you could PayPal the money to in exchange for cash.

no they dont trust these 'interweb thingys' so dont have paypal. Ah not to worry anyway, thanks folks. May look into this 02 card

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking & Finance & Pensions

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Captain Commie

May look into this 02 card

got myself one the other week and its great, one thing i will say and that is to not use it in atm as charges u an extra quid per transaction so money can go down real quick.

I find it real handy as tend to pay for a lot of stuff online and it just works simple, all online sites see it as a valid visa card and are none the wiser.

I have noticed tho that the foreign currency rates are kinda rubbish, but a bit better than what 3V charges.

Well worth a look as the credit does not expire

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

can't use it in shops and you have to pay for the o2 one and they are both awkward, so I got a tsb debit card, which is amazingly handy

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭T17cH

The o2 cards 4.99 once off, the same as the 3v i think. And even tough the 3v just gives you vouchers, the o2 should be usable anywhere according to there site "Your O2 Money card works exactly the same in shops as a regular chip & pin Visa card." and you can transfer cash directly from you current account to it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

3v card is free, you pay charges based on how large a voucher you purchase. The o2 one sounds like a debit card that you have to pay for AND transfer money too, instead of using something that is free and just takes the money from your current account

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

McLoughlin wrote: »
    No you can't I'm afraid.

Sorry for bumping an old thread, but this must have changed recently. I just filled my car with petrol before realising I had no wallet with me. Decided that I'd chance using a 3V voucher I had to pay for it. I gave the shop assistant the details and he manually keyed them into the terminal without any problem at all and payment was accepted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

Sorry for bumping an old thread, but this must have changed recently. I just filled my car with petrol before realising I had no wallet with me. Decided that I'd chance using a 3V voucher I had to pay for it. I gave the shop assistant the details and he manually keyed them into the terminal without any problem at all and payment was accepted.

It was always possible to do but many shop attendants wouldn't know how to do it or it would be against company policy

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Vuzuggu wrote: »
    It was always possible to do but many shop attendants wouldn't know how to do it or it would be against company policy

I'd never heard of anybody using one in a shop before, and according to all online discussion about it people are/were of the opinion that they couldn't be used offline full stop.

Good to know that it can be done anyway, provided of course that shops allow it. :)

Advertisement