Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are my scots pine dying?

Options
  • 07-03-2011 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi there,
    my Scots Pines are losing their needles this week- they've turned brown and are falling off. Two weeks ago I threw a handfull of fertiliser near their base- I wonder did I poison them or do they drop the needles this time of year anyhow- or it is a disease?

They are otherwise healthy and grew well last year...

Thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭deandean

A lot of stuff got hammered last winter.

I have lost most of a "bulletproof" oleria hedge after the extreme cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 quizalot

yes, oleria are not that cold proof- leylandi and even grisilena survived better for us.... but I think the pines should have come through the cold- they are Scottish, after all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Yi Harr

I reckon if it was from the winter it would have shown signs of stress long before this.

Depending on how much you have put on it's possible it has scorched the roots or is at such a high level that it is toxic to the tree.

Did you follow the recommend dosage and water in well?

Chances are (if it's not dropping too many needles) it will recover but I'd say you should still water in around the area the fertilizer is on.

Advertisement