Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Housemate left, owes bills money

Options
  • 07-03-2011 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭

Long-story short: a girl moved in before Christmas to our house, she lost her job in January and moved out at the end of that month. We were expecting a number of bills - she offered to leave a few quid and we said wait until we get the bills and work out who owes what rather than having money being sent back and forth.

She ignored texts and calls for 11 days when the first bill arrived before putting 30e into my account and said she'll pay the rest when her dole comes through.

One month on and she now owes 80e and no word back from her - despite repeated texts, calls saying I really need this money as I'm not paid for another 2 weeks...

Any ideas? She didn't sign a lease as we were in the process of getting it posted out and she said she was leaving.. can we still get the agency after her? I've tried ringing from different phones and no answer at all, very frustrating

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭verywell

Who is to say that she ever lived there? Next time get a key to take a reading yourself and then you do not have to wait for the bills. It is easy to do up an excel spreadsheet to work out what everyone owes

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭leakyboots

verywell wrote: »
    Who is to say that she ever lived there? Next time get a key to take a reading yourself and then you do not have to wait for the bills. It is easy to do up an excel spreadsheet to work out what everyone owes

And I thought foresight was a gift only politicians had ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

Verywell speaks the truth - how can you prove she lived there? Probably better off just counting your losses I'm sorry to say - and be more careful in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭verywell

leakyboots wrote: »
    And I thought foresight was a gift only politicians had ;)

Unfortunatley it is a learn as you go process, take it from me, I am doing this 6 years.

Ask the ESB to send you a key to open the meter and you can use this key for the gas also. Take a reading and on the day that a tenant leaves you can tell them exactly how much they owe you.

All bills sorted then. No foresight needed ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

can you do anything if you prove they live there? say two housemates leaving, not paying those 2 months bills, but the lease says they lived there etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

verywell wrote: »
    Ask the ESB to send you a key to open the meter and you can use this key for the gas also. Take a reading and on the day that a tenant leaves you can tell them exactly how much they owe you.

Key for the meter:eek: It's only a triangular piece of metal, use a pliers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭pooch90

Pretty sure I've seen those keys for sale in tesco too....

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Did she pay a deposit?

Advertisement