Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renters Market???

Options
  • 07-03-2011 6:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭

All I'm hearing for the past few years is that it's a renters market. Boll**ks is it. Nothing but kips around Dublin City Centre going for outrageous amounts of money. Grotty bedsits for € 500? It's disgusting the money these Landlords are getting for their properties. A lot of them should be demolished.

I need to find a place fairly quickly and the amount of shi**y places I'm looking at for € 500 up is a disgrace.

Sorry folks, rant over. Does anyone know of any other decent website for renting apart from the usual daft, rent.ie, myhome etc?

Cheers people!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Reminds me of when I've lived in a bedsit in Drumcondra, 550 euro and it was so small I could barely fit anything in there.
    But it was fairly modern, not realy a horror story

Rent allowance is putting a floor on the market

I realy think 500 for a half decent bedsit is far, far too much but that's what many landlords are looking for

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

Daft.ie is the best website for property/letting searches imo, all the others seem to have the same as whats on daft but a little less.

€500pp/m is way too high for a bedsit, but in the city centre thats what your gonna pay unfortunately. I remember viewing a tiny place for €800 p/m a couple of years ago-couldnt believe my ears. Wasnt willing to reduce it either and it was down off daft a week later so I imagine somebody took it.

Would you be willing to move outside of the centre ? You'll find somewhere decent on the commuter belt for a lot cheaper and still be able to get in and out of the city fairly easy. Just a thought.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

I know of a two room bedsit in rathmines for €450. Ok it is a berooom/sittingroom with a small separate kitchen and a separate bathroom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

Azureus wrote: »
    Would you be willing to move outside of the centre ? You'll find somewhere decent on the commuter belt for a lot cheaper and still be able to get in and out of the city fairly easy. Just a thought.

Cheers, am looking outside of town now. Saw somewhere nice on Daft in Glasnevin and price seemed ok.
    I know of a two room bedsit in rathmines for €450. Ok it is a berooom/sittingroom with a small separate kitchen and a separate bathroom.

Sounds more reasonable than I've seen lately. Rathmines would also be an ideal location, work wise especially.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

Theres a few places very similar to this aswell;

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1011530

Remember the rent is asking price as such, and you can usually negotiate down a fair bit providing the LL thinks you will make a good tenant.

• Advertisement

Some nice gafs in East Wall area. Houses and reasonable. That's a rough oul spot though isn't it?

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0610/rent.html
    95,000 households are supported by rent supplement, which the Department of Social Protection says is about half of the total private rented market in Ireland.

In 2009 the Department paid over €500m in rent supplement.

very effective floor in the market. Landlords dole your tax euro at work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭_oveless

Anyone who says it's a renters market is on crack.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,462 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Landlords only charge what people are willing to pay

Well I've agreed to take a lovely little apartment beside the Botanis Gardens for a reasonable enough rent so very happy. While it can be difficult to avoid the dives that are out there it is possible I'm happy to report :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

We spent most of December and January looking for a place around Dublin 6/8. Before we started looking I had high hopes of finding a nice cheap place what with it being a "Renters Market" and all. Just like you OP any illusions I had were gone pretty quickly though. Anywhere that was nice and we liked we offered a little below asking, say €1000 for somewhere asking €1100. A few agents scoffed at our offers but most simply didn't reply. The places were usually up on daft for weeks after our offers? Interestingly we didn't actually look at any places being let directly by a landlord/owner. Wasn't by choice its just the way it worked out? In the end we got so sick of the whole thing when we eventually found a lovely place we simply offered asking. Even then the agent was slow in getting back to us. Living here a month and a half and very happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Interestingly we didn't actually look at any places being let directly by a landlord/owner.
    I have almost never went through agencies. They're usually more hassle, references, bank statements, employers references, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I have almost never went through agencies. They're usually more hassle, references, bank statements, employers references, etc.

Yeah exactly, I was hoping at the start of the process not to have to deal with agencies. Unfortunately if you like the look of a certain place and the letting is being managed by an agency then there is not much you can do except not look at it?

rarnes1 wrote: »

Landlords are taking advantage of people's desperation and charging ridiculous amounts for tiny studios and flats, their greed is disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭oflahero

_oveless wrote: »
    Landlords are taking advantage of people's desperation and charging ridiculous amounts for tiny studios and flats, their greed is disgusting.

Only because, as has been pointed out before, there's a floor on chargeable rents set by rent allowance, propping up half the market. If the social can always give you a tenant and pay you 600, it'd want to be somebody pretty special in the 'private' market offering 500.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,306 ✭✭✭markpb

rarnes1 wrote: »

How on earth did you come to that conclusion? Landlords run a business and their aim is to make money, just like any other business. If you're not happy with the service they're providing, don't use it - rent somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

the problem is 3 fold. Too high rent allowance, which is a deliberate subsidy to landlords in order to maintain the illusion of high value properties in dublin in particular. the 2nd problem are dysfunctional banks, who at this stage must have few deposits left, cannot get anybody to lend to them, and cannot lend to anybody much either. the 3rd problem is NAMA killing supply, again to maintain the illusion of high property values in the dublin area.

@ markpb - how much of a business person do you have to be to make a profit in a market so heavily manipulated in favour of private LLs and a Govt determined to prevent free market economics from determining a market driven price. this is without mentioning the upward only rent reviews pertaining to commercial property that became enshrined in law under the previous Govt.

As a columnist in yesterday's Irish Times put it "How can recovery begin if denial is a policy".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

Surely it is cheaper to rent a room rather than a flat.

For €500, which seems to be the price quoted on this board for a crappy bedsit, you can get a nice double room in an well furnished apartment with cable, internet etc. OK, you have to live with someone, but I would rather share a nice big well furnished place, than have my own squalid bedsit!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

the rent allowance is the main problem! good point about "denial being a policy!"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Dymo

who_ru wrote: »
    @ markpb - how much of a business person do you have to be to make a profit in a market so heavily manipulated in favour of private LLs

Believe it or not but Landlords have to pay mortgages, and maintenance fees and these days the mortgage could be far greater than the rental income.

It amazes me people think it's all profit for the landlord after the government get there 20% cut

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,306 ✭✭✭markpb

who_ru wrote: »
    @ markpb - how much of a business person do you have to be to make a profit in a market so heavily manipulated in favour of private LLs and a Govt determined to prevent free market economics from determining a market driven price. this is without mentioning the upward only rent reviews pertaining to commercial property that became enshrined in law under the previous Govt.

I'm not defending landlords, their practices or government policies, I'm just pointing out that because someone is in a business does not make them an evil capitalist or any of the other rubbish you see posted here by some people. Some of them will make money, others won't. Some of them may be good landlords and others won't. You can't generalise it down to soundbites like

Take a look at the prices for shoebox flats available for low income workers and people on social welfare, and the commercial rates that are forcing people to close their businesses then tell me it's generalizing and rubbish. Landlords know that people aren't buying houses and are being forced to rent, so they can charge what they want making the claims that it's a "renters market", "rubbish".

Advertisement