Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you buy counterfeit goods ?

• 07-03-2011 6:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering how many people here would buy counterfeit goods, like cd,s clothes, jewelery and not forgetting diesel & cigarettes, Do you think its wrong and criminal or are you trying just to survive and getting by in these hard times.

On tv3 tonight at 9.00

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭nomh

I buy counterfeit goods with counterfeit money.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

point me in the direction of the Diesel ! I will buy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

depends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

I would I am poor

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Yea i would!!!

Never bought anything counterfeit in my life. A lot of knock-offs, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭nix84

I have, I do and I've sold said items! When it comes to things like CDs and DVDs I'm afraid I have no remorse towards record and movie companies. If you want profit then stop giving t.its like Nicholas Cage millions of dollars!

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭blockedPaT

i would its the cheaper way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

No but i would make a copy of them for myself!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

RichieC wrote: »
    depends.

Generally no (not knowingly anyway) but more often out of lack of interest* than on principle

* I dont want to wear corporate branded shyte and there are other ways (legal and otherwise) to obtain any music/films/software I might still be bothered about
    nomh wrote: »
    I buy counterfeit goods with counterfeit money.
    With the possible exception of the Swiss Franc just about all money is these days anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Really depends on what it is really.

Clothes, sure why not. Not too fussed.

Diesel. Probably not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

No because they're almost always bad quality and therefore a waste of money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

What's with all these threads today that seem like the Guards trying to catch us out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Without getting to high and mighty here but do you not think that people who buy counterfeit goods no matter what they are, Are contributing to criminal gangs and therefore adding to the already break down of law & order in this country in which its ok to break the law in some cases. which adds more fuel to the fire which is burning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I used to buy heaps of CD's and PC software in Jonesborough market before it got shut down. I wouldn't bother with clothes since the quality is shit, and feck knows what goes into the cigarettes and booze.
    Do you think its wrong and criminal or are you trying just to survive and getting by in these hard times.

If I can get something which is still of a high standard at a cheaper price, then I don't care whether or not it's criminal.. the people producing the 'real' stuff always try to reduce costs so why shouldn't I?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

realies wrote: »
    Just wondering how many people here would buy counterfeit goods, like cd,s clothes, jewelery and not forgetting diesel & cigarettes, Do you think its wrong and criminal or are you trying just to survive and getting by in these hard times.
    Woah, woah you're all over the place here.

There's a difference between counterfeitting, piracy and smuggling.

Cigarettes & Diesel - these are smuggled. They are full-quality goods which require government tax, but which have been brought in to avoid it. The subsequent sale results in a loss of money to the government, but everyone else in the chain gets their full cut.

CDs & DVDs - These are (usually) pirated. Meaning that a copy has been made of a full-quality intellectual good at little or no cost to the producer and the subsequent sales result in a loss of income for the original producer.

Clothes & Jewellery - These are counterfeited. Meaning that a (usually) lesser-quality copy of another physical product has been made, but at a cost to the producer. The subsequent sale may or may not result in a loss for the producer of the original goods.

In the case of counterfeiting, I see no moral issue if you're aware that the goods are counterfeit and you wouldn't buy the actual goods at full price anyway. In this case there's no loss to the original producer because you wouldn't have bought their overpriced tat anyway.

In the other two cases, you're screwing someone else over and so it can't be morally justified. Smuggling in particular is usually done by the same people who give out the bleeding money-grabbing government. If you buy smuggled stuff you have no right to complain about taxes because you're compounding the problem and raising everyone else's taxes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

seamus wrote: »
    Cigarettes & Diesel - these are smuggled. They are full-quality goods which require government tax, but which have been brought in to avoid it. The subsequent sale results in a loss of money to the government, but everyone else in the chain gets their full cut.

Cigarettes can be counterfeited and smuggled though. That's more illegality for your buck right there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Pirated stuff I wouldn't pay for, because I could find it myself for free. Counterfeit stuff would depend on the quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I pay for the counterfeit internet. It's not as good as the real internet but it's way cheaper so I can afford it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

What are you selling! I'll have to look at it first! Don't want to end up with a laptop box full of stones!

feck knows what goes into the cigarettes

They mightnt be good for you right enough ?
    seamus wrote: »
    CDs & DVDs - These are (usually) pirated. Meaning that a copy has been made of a full-quality* intellectual good at little or no (???) cost to the producer and the subsequent sales result in a loss of income for the original producer*..

* Not necessairly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I've always thought I'd managed to avoid buying coutnerfit stuff and I dont illegally download and never bought pirate dvds or cds but then I remembered I have bought make up and the like at rather reduced prices in ways that are clearly not the most legal so even though I thought I was good I'm just a big hypocrite.

ah well.

If someone is selling a knock off of an item which normally retails for say £60 for a tenner is it still technically counterfeit when surely all his customers know damn well what the score is ?

Only recently on a Primetime special it showed that the fake cigs coming into the country are a lot worse than the real items.
    The cigs they tested contained everything from rat killer to all sorts of odd ingrediants.
    ..And thats on top of the much higher tar contents.

I don't smoke myself but if I did, I still wouldn't touch the fake crap.

If you smoke counterfeit cigarettes could you get counterfeit cancer ?
    Biggins wrote: »
    The cigs they tested contained everything from rat killer to all sorts of odd ingrediants..

Are you sure they werent the real ones ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Cheap Thrills!

No. I wouldn't be caught dead in ORIGINAL Tommy Hilfiger, never mind some horrible knock off.

I hate all that horrible chav stuff !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Only recently on a Primetime special it showed that the fake cigs coming into the country are a lot worse than the real items.
    The cigs they tested contained everything from rat killer to all sorts of odd ingrediants.

Joe Duffy had some street traders on his show last year
    They protested loudly they only sell the "real illegals" and not the "fake illegals", in their broad Moore St accents.
    No issue with someone doing a run to Latvia or wherever now and again but they'd be horrified at selling the fake stuff.

Ah Joe Duffy and his double standards. :rolleyes:
    He had no issues interviewing street traders dodging customs duty but was horrified at head shop business opening around Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    If you smoke counterfeit cigarettes could you get counterfeit cancer ?

Yes and it's a very serious disease, Not only can you die from it but you could also be imprisoned if caught with your hat/wig off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    They mightnt be good for you right enough ?

What's with the sarcasm? I never said that smoking legitimate cigarettes was safe, but there is certainly a greater danger in smoking counterfeit ones.

What about booze then? You conveniently cut that from your quote. Do you believe that drinking alcohol produced outside of a controlled environment is equally as safe as consuming brand stuff? Same goes for prescription meds etc.. all have their dangers, but at least you know what they are.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Anybody who says they would never buy counterfeit goods need to get off their high-horse and wake up to reality.

Everyone buys or has bought at some point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

I wouldn't touch anything like drink or diesel which could damage me or my car etc. I do however have a couple of counterfeit watches. They are very high quality versions though which cost more than probably a lot of people would spend on other non counterfeit watch brands. I wouldn't be bothered with them if they were cheap knock offs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Payed $85 dollars on an American football jersey and $12 customs duty and that rip off 13 euro "administration fee" that UPS charge. I know the price and customs but I wasn't expecting UPS to gouge me
    And one year later it's not in very good condition, I'm disappointed
    And it was made in Honduras so it's not like "America's game" is even supporting home grown jobs when you buy from the official NFL website

To hell with that, next jersey I buy will be from ebay, don't mind if it's counterfeit. You can get them for around 30 or 40 dollars

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

who did the testing, the government or an independant unbiased source?

What is it with Louth and the amount of stuff flowing through it?
    (I live in Louth, just to be clear)
    This TV3 programme tonight is supposed to mention Louth again.
    What are we now, the capital of all things dodgy outside the pale?

• Advertisement

who did the testing, the government or an independant unbiased source?

The investigators took the items to a number of independent testing companies.

(I live in Louth, just to be clear)
    This TV3 programme tonight is supposed to mention Louth again.
    What are we now, the capital of all things dodgy outside the pale?

:D No just the capital of all things dodgy :D

Id say they might have an rough idea somewhere around Hackballscross

Id be careful who Id go asking though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

On tv3 tonight at 9.00

At best it's a Mugs game and usually your money ends up with some of the more sinsiter members of our society! A bad move for all the wrong reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Adidas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭BengaLover

I have done and they have been a complete waste of money due to poor quality.

on tv3 now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭1966

Rat droppings & toe-nail clippings in fags - OMG !

1966 wrote: »
    Rat droppings & toe-nail clippings in fags - OMG !

Nothing new there.
    Been known for some time. Some just wish to ignore the risks and take a chance.

Why would they put toe nail clippings in cigarettes & were they get them from.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭S.R.F.C.

These pricks are going to ruin everyone's fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Anybody who says they would never buy counterfeit goods need to get off their high-horse and wake up to reality.

Everyone buys or has bought at some point.

Have you fallen from a horse, waken up, or you risk missing reality?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭dillo2k10

On tv3 tonight at 9.00

Diesel, where do I buy counterfeit diesel.

I bought a counterfeit adidas tracksuit once and since then I wouldn't, it was useless, just fell apart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

as my Granny would say "Buy cheap,Buy twice"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭grrrrrrrrrr

Would the presenters ever get some balls and go up and question the smugglers and sellers. Sure I could go up and ask for them myself. Bull**** programme really. Cant stand the narrator either, dramatising everything.

• Advertisement
Advertisement