Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swans dying :( Grand Canal Dublin

Options
  • 07-03-2011 7:29pm

Sad to read about swans dying on the Grand Canal. Ive always thought these creatures are one of the cityes best assets.

Just read a report on RSOE Disaster map.

More dead swans found in the Grand Canal in Dublin, reports were received. They are concentrated on the 7th level from Portobello to Suir Road Bridge. A number were taken from the water for analysis last week. A number of sick birds were also found and were taken to the DSPCA depot for treatment. Another half dozen birds have been found dead this AM. Initial reports suggest that the problem is NOT Avian Flu but is more likely some form of botulism or other bacterial infection. The source is as yet unknown but a number of dead and rotting sea-fish were found in the area and that is one possible source. Swans are known to be susceptible to this infection and similar cases have been reported from other areas in the past. There were also suggestions that the dredging programme may have disturbed some bacteria in the sediment but this is seen as unlikely given the infected birds are some distance from the dredging site.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭diddlybit

That's just horrible, they're such lovely creatures. Always looks quite eerie at night along that stretch with them:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 sobertales

I actually saw one at the Harolds X bridge... it was really heartbreaking to see... its body was still in the water but its head was on the bank and it looked so unnatural and disturbing. I was quite upset by it but just told myself it was sleeping... now I know better :(. The state of the canals some times is just horrific - why on earth do people litter them, they are so beautiful!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 gubster

Thanks for the update. I have been hearing about this too- and have been calling the Dept or Argiculture but no reply so i didn't know if anything was being done. I am glad to see your post so I can be happy someone is looking into it.

Thanks
    Gubster

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Jake1 wrote: »
    There were also suggestions that the dredging programme may have disturbed some bacteria in the sediment but this is seen as unlikely given the infected birds are some distance from the dredging site.
    While birds do move about, the dredging work is downstream of this site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 gabriel1

Hi, I am very concerned about these dead and dying swans. I live in Dublin and I walk the Canal regularly. Has anyone contacted the SPCA?
    Swans and most other kinds of water wildlife are a kind of natural barometer of the water safety. For example the eel population in the River Slaney (and I suspect other rivers too) has declined to the point of extinction because of pollution. I remember when I was about 16 years old, watching an immigration of elvers into the Slaney. They came up the river for about a week and they came in trillions. At that time anyone who dug a handful of sand from the riverbank would have held about 20 or thirty little elvers in his hand. Now there are none. Swans live on plants that grow under the water. If those plants are poisoned then it must have an effect on the swans. Likewise the ducks, but I think the ducks live on a different type of plan but I'm not sure. Anyway if the swans are being poisoned by the canal plant life the question has to be why and can it be harmful in the long term to humans.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

cant stand the creatures myself, creep the hell out of me and ugly as muck to me, just move them to the country i say

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

There is too many on that part of the canal anyways.

Living in such close quarters is probably the problem

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

gabriel1 wrote: »
    Hi, I am very concerned about these dead and dying swans. I live in Dublin and I walk the Canal regularly. Has anyone contacted the SPCA?

It was on RTE the other day, and the DSPCA where talking about it. They're just taking blood tests of the sick ones but it will be a few weeks till they know what it is. They can't do anything else.

Advertisement