Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Microsoft Office Product Key (Note: Not requesting one)

• 07-03-2011 8:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭

OK. I got a new laptop and with it pre-installed is Microsoft Office 2010. I'll need it for College so I also bought the key card. However when I go to office.com/getkey and enter the 27 characters on the card in order to get my product key, it doesn't work.

I got it in Argos btw, any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,311 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

ImageHandler.ashx?ImageName=POSA_animated

Was it sealed when you bought it? Is there a chance it was tampered with? Have you checked and double-checked your spelling of miscellaneous Ds, 0s, Os, Is, 1s, Es, 3s, Fs, etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

Yep. The number was under a seal which was like a lottery card that I had to scratch off. Entered the numbers carefully and inluded 01 and O1 which was the only ambiguous number.

Usually I get my Ds all messed up on those.

Next thing I would do is lookie here: https://office.getmicrosoftkey.com/support-home.aspx

My PIN is not working, what should I do?

If your PIN is not working, try the following:
    1. Verify the PIN was entered correctly. PIN is not case sensitive and is alpha-numeric.
    2. Make sure the PIN has not already been used to obtain an Office Product Key. A PIN can only be used once to obtain a Product Key. If the PIN has already been used, you can log into your account with your Windows Live ID (if you established it when the PIN was first entered) to access your Product Key or you can check your email for the confirmation email you received when the PIN was first consumed to access your Product Key.
    3. Contact support if you are still having issues: www.office.com/getkey.

United Kingtom/English 0844.800.2400

Overheal wrote: »
    Usually I get my Ds all messed up on those.

Next thing I would do is lookie here: https://office.getmicrosoftkey.com/support-home.aspx

My PIN is not working, what should I do?

If your PIN is not working, try the following:
    1. Verify the PIN was entered correctly. PIN is not case sensitive and is alpha-numeric.
    2. Make sure the PIN has not already been used to obtain an Office Product Key. A PIN can only be used once to obtain a Product Key. If the PIN has already been used, you can log into your account with your Windows Live ID (if you established it when the PIN was first entered) to access your Product Key or you can check your email for the confirmation email you received when the PIN was first consumed to access your Product Key.
    3. Contact support if you are still having issues: www.office.com/getkey.

United Kingtom/English 0844.800.2400

From tthhe message I'm gettng, I think that the shop should have activated it or something before I got it.
    The PIN entered has not been Activated. Without an Active PIN, you cannot retrieve your Product Key. PINs can only be activated at the shop where Office was purchased. Return to the shop with your receipt or proof of purchase to activate your PIN.

Interesting. Maybe your Argos receipt shows which cashier forgot to process your purchase properly.

• Advertisement

I'll be heading back over during the week anyway to see what the story is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

Risteard wrote: »
    OK. I got a new laptop and with it pre-installed is Microsoft Office 2010. I'll need it for College so I also bought the key card. However when I go to office.com/getkey and enter the 27 characters on the card in order to get my product key, it doesn't work.

I got it in Argos btw, any advice?

u need to reinstall office from the dvd provided not using the "preinstalled" copy

the "preinstalled copy" was an oem volume license install.

i really wish computer vendors would stop installing bum versions of preinstalled software on their products cos 9 times out of 10 ya have to uninstall it and reinstall using the dvd to get it working right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

They put you through so much crap for being genuine don't they?

I bet illegal users don't have these problems?

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

no "they" dont.... everything just runs fine... from what i hear...

u need to reinstall office from the dvd provided not using the "preinstalled" copy

the "preinstalled copy" was an oem volume license install.

i really wish computer vendors would stop installing bum versions of preinstalled software on their products cos 9 times out of 10 ya have to uninstall it and reinstall using the dvd to get it working right.

I didn't get a DVD, the idea is that I have to use this code to get the product key to activate the softwarre.

I agree, times were so much simpler when you actually were handed the product you bought over the counter instead of having to jump through hoops to get it to work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Sixaside

Same thing here. Bought a laptop in Argos(Crescent shopping centre) this evening along with the Office Product key pack at the discounted price you get when purchasing it along with a laptop.

Anyway I got the same error message as you. As I live in the vicinity I went back to exchange for a new product key pack which I got without any fuss. Same thing happened again, so I'm guessing that they have a batch of unactivated cards. Real pain tho' as the laptop is for someone else and I promised to have everything installed and working for Sunday when I was going to give it to them. Let me know if you get resolution.

Sixaside wrote: »
    Same thing here. Bought a laptop in Argos(Crescent shopping centre) this evening along with the Office Product key pack at the discounted price you get when purchasing it along with a laptop.

Anyway I got the same error message as you. As I live in the vicinity I went back to exchange for a new product key pack which I got without any fuss. Same thing happened again, so I'm guessing that they have a batch of unactivated cards. Real pain tho' as the laptop is for someone else and I promised to have everything installed and working for Sunday when I was going to give it to them. Let me know if you get resolution.

Like you I returned it and got a replacement which also didn't work so I took it back again and they gave me my money back.

Then I went to Currys and bought Office 2010 except it wasn't like the one Argos gave you, it was an actual Product Code that I just had to use to activate. No going to websites to download anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Sixaside

Hmmmm... Did you buy yours in Argos at the Crescent? They said to me this evening that they had never heard of something like this happening, but had no problems giving me the replacement.

As a matter of interest how much did you pay for the product key in Curries?

Sixaside wrote: »
    Hmmmm... Did you buy yours in Argos at the Crescent? They said to me this evening that they had never heard of something like this happening, but had no problems giving me the replacement.

As a matter of interest how much did you pay for the product key in Curries?

Got it in the Childers road. In fairness to them they gave me the refund without any problems.

The Currys one was 100. That was for Home and Student for 1 user. So I had to pay an extra 25.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Shuks, boys ye could have gotten the full dvd much cheaper from www.software4students.ie.

Shuks, boys ye could have gotten the full dvd much cheaper from www.software4students.ie.

Damn, never heard of that site before. I shall bear it in mind for future reference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

You can order from that site even if you are not a student youself, as long as someone in the family is at a bricks & mortar school/college. Usually the software can only be installed in a max of 2 computers. And don't go near Kaspersky. Download Microsoft Security Essentials directly from the Microsoft.ie site for FREE:)

You can order from that site even if you are not a student youself, as long as someone in the family is at a bricks & mortar school/college. Usually the software can only be installed in a max of 2 computers. And don't go near Kaspersky. Download Microsoft Security Essentials directly from the Microsoft.ie site for FREE:)

Yeah, I used to have McAffee on my old computer which was a load of ****e, still got some spyware so read up about MSE, was the first thing I installed.

Well, kudos to going the legit route.

Advertisement