Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Paddy's Day.. cancelled in China

• 07-03-2011 8:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭

Looks like the lads are fretting over the wave of revolution which have swept through other oppressed nation in the last few months and are reluctant to allow large groups to gather in case they become riotous.

I wonder if a junket will still be sent over to mark the non-occasion..
    The St. Patrick’s Day parade in China’s financial capital Shanghai has been cancelled amid concerns the “Jasmine Revolutions” sweeping states with authoritarian governments in the Middle East could spread to the Asian giant.

The Communist Party, staging its annual National People’s Congress in Beijing, said yesterday calls for protests in China were doomed because Chinese people treasured peace and stability.

However, it is clearly worried about the spread of anti-government sentiment, and has taken steps including stopping next Saturday’s annual parade for Irish expatriates and their Chinese friends and families in Shanghai. The parade attracts thousands of visitors every year and is part of a four-day event.

“The parade is off. We were told by the Public Security Bureau we could not have a public gathering. We’re bitterly disappointed as we spent two months working on it, but that’s life,” said one member of the organising committee who requested anonymity.

The annual parade was due to move along Nanjing Donglu, Shanghai’s most famous street, which runs past People’s Square – a site specified in online calls for citizens to take “an afternoon stroll” in a sign of passive resistance.

Organisers were refused permission to stage the parade elsewhere. The Irish community will hold a scaled-down event in the Shanghai Centre plaza.

The Beijing St Patrick’s Day parade, due to be held on Sunday, March 20th, in Chaoyang Park, a few kilometres from the city centre, will go ahead as planned.

“Over the past 30 years or more, China’s success and economic progress has been broadly recognised. The Communist Party’s leadership and government’s policies are in line with the people’s will and their hearts,” said Wang Hui, spokeswoman for the Beijing city government.

“Cool-headed people know these people have chosen the wrong place, and their ideas and plans are wrong. In Beijing we have had and will have no such incidents,” she said.

It is hard to tell what security presence is in Beijing to stop the phantom protests taking place on the Wangfujing shopping street and what is here to provide the usual heavy security for the National People’s Congress. About 740,000 police, security guards and ordinary citizens have been drafted in to provide security for the congress.

Foreign reporters have been barred from sites of would-be protests and threatened with having their residence visas revoked.

Is it an overreaction or are they rightly expecting people to revolt?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

酷兄弟的故事。

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

In reality they're probably punishing us for this:

and this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

By doing this they:
    a) admit they are an oppressing regime (as if we didn't know that already)
    b) admit they are afraid of the Chinese people

Green t-shirts made by children will still be on sale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Metallitroll

paddies parade a vehicle for a jasmine revolution :pac: large horse puppet thing with people in is not necessarily trojan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Ali Babba

I hope they send the entire Fianna Fail party to Libya to celebrate Paddys day on condition they don't come back home.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭amacca

Interesting

cancelling paddys day in China may postpone/prevent uprising

cancelling paddys day in Ireland could hasten/ensure immediate uprising

good idea bad idea or bad idea good idea

either way...paddys day cancelled...bummer dude

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Right thats it, Im not ordering my usual No.33 with Fried Rice.

That will show them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Who da frack crancered Parries Day?

Frackin' ridricrurous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

China here I come!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

It was cancelled last year as well if i remember correctly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Koloman

Maybe North Korea could take it on. They are well practised in parades.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ball ox

你的母亲

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

How many Paddies are there in China that this would be an issue ?

There has to be more to this story. There is definitely Sum Ting Wong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

How many Paddies are there in China that this would be an issue ?

Well, there's Paddy Fields but I couldn't name any others over there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

爱尔兰永远。向我们展示的所有冰雹迈克尔马丁什么是真的很喜欢中国

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

Send over Mary Harney, they could re-name her Wun Tun. Use her as a food source.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Paddy Englishman, Paddy Irishman and Paddy Chinaman out looking for work.

They came across a building site and the foreman offered them jobs.

'Paddy Englishman, you drive the j.c.b., Paddy Irishman you look after the workers and Paddy Chinaman you can look after the supplies. I'll check on ye later'

Later on the foreman came back to find Paddy Englishman and Paddy Irishman working away, but no sign of Paddy Chinaman.

'Lads where's paddy chinaman?'

Just then Paddy Chinaman jumps out from behind him and screams, "SUPPLIES!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

I hereby revise my previous estimation of them being "a great bunch of lads" and now proclaim them to be "an enormous shower of party poopers"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Koloman

Absurdum wrote: »
    I hereby revise my previous estimation of them being "a great bunch of lads" and now proclaim them to be "an enormous shower of party poopers"

Maybe it's the Greek's we should be after for a parade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Looks like the lads are fretting over the wave of revolution which have swept through other oppressed nation in the last few months and are reluctant to allow large groups to gather in case they become riotous.

I wonder if a junket will still be sent over to mark the non-occasion..

Is it an overreaction or are they rightly expecting people to revolt?

If they can't celebrate in downtown Shanghai then they should take it to the safety of the paddyfields.

Oh dear. :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

maybe we should cancel chinese visa in response

Advertisement