Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Only Studying Plath, Boland and Rich? L.C.2012

Options
  • 07-03-2011 8:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭

Okay so I was daydreaming at the back of a free class we had today (as you do :rolleyes:) and this hit me. Our English teacher told us that at least 1 out of the 3 female poets had to come up on the LC paper (correct me if I'm wrong). So what if I just studied the 3 female poets and knew them well instead of learning 5 or 6?

Probably a bad idea but I just wanted to throw it out there to get some opinions...
    Thanks in advance,
    13Spanner

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

You might get a really difficult question on the female poet. I remember so many people wanted Boland to come up last year and Rich did instead but the Kavangh question was way easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Do you not remember last year and the Boland drama? Never try to predict poets down to 3.
    Study absolute minimum 6 poets.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Bad idea. Leave it at that.

First of all worrying about what poets to study this early in fifth year is beyond pointless. Second of all if you only study female poets you'll be in major trouble if one of the questions is not to your taste or even worse the SEC decide not to include a female poet. There's no set rule, the "A female poet must come up" thing is just a rule of thumb.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

That's the other extreme. (Sorry :p)

You only need 5 and even at that you could quite feasibly narrow it down to four poets.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

Last year I studied 5 just to be safe (3 I studied came up). I would say you should know those 3 well and get at least the basics of another 2 just in case those 3 don't come up.

Better safe than sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

Do you not remember last year and the Boland drama? Never try to predict poets down to 3.

5 is plenty.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

I'm in 5th year and we studied: Boland, Rich, Plath and Kavanagh and we're finished the poetry for good now!. We're not doing anymore! :/ Kinda nervous reading all ye guys posts saying at least 5/6 :L..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

I'm in 5th year and we studied: Boland, Rich, Plath and Kavanagh and we're finished the poetry for good now!. We're not doing anymore! :/ Kinda nervous reading all ye guys posts saying at least 5/6 :L..

8 poets are on the course.. 4 come up.. By studying 4 you are at risk of the 4 you didn't study coming up...

Perhaps your teacher meant you were finished for 5th year? There's plenty of time to cover 6 poets at least.

We've one poet left to study (we do 6) and that's everything done.. - We're in LC.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

What you want is the women poets and the Irish poets and you'll be grand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭RHRN

8 poets are on the course.. 4 come up.. By studying 4 you are at risk of the 4 you didn't study coming up...

To be fair though, it is a 1 in 120 chance that that would happen...

Still, I think our teacher is doing five with us. We've done Heaney, Plath and Rich so far, idk who we're doing next.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭KKBL

Perhaps your teacher meant you were finished for 5th year? There's plenty of time to cover 6 poets at least.

We've one poet left to study (we do 6) and that's everything done.. - We're in LC.

I'm in 5th year and all we've done is Frost :?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

KKBL wrote: »

Yes but you`ve probably done other parts of the course eg. Hamlet and comparative . You have plenty of time to do four more !:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Have you done other stuff like Hamlet/Comparative/Language work? We have a bit of everything done because we do different things on different days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

Could be wrong but I think it was around this time that we started poetry in 5th year so don't worry!

We did language first, then around October midterm we did Hamlet and then around February/March we started poetry. We then had 3 poets done by Summer.

As broad and big as the English course is, there is plenty of time to get it all covered! We have 1 more poet to do and we're finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Dannnnn

I'm only focusing on 2 poets, tehe.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭PARARORY

Terrible idea and extremely lazy :) Poets are easy enough to do , and you only need about 3-5 poems to answer one in an essay!

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭wayhey

Study them until you're absolutely sick of them. Know those three inside out. I'm assuming you're in 5th Year? Make out unreal notes and read as much of them and critical commentaries of their work as you can.

Then when you want to give Rich a mop and wedding ring, Plath a happy face badge and Boland (... well Boland's actually sound enough...), move onto the other poets. That's my advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

It's also worth taking note for anyone doing it in 2011. Trends and who won't be on the course next year, as well as who came up last year.

I'm doing Dickinson, Wordsworth, Hopkins and Boland. ( We did Frost last year and Boland last year , unsure if i will revise Frost ). I would not be shocked in the slightest due to trends, last year and who is on it next year if all 4 of mine came up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 roxykid07

Im in 5th year and so far weve just done Plath. Know it inside out though ;)

Were nearly done hamlet and have done our literary genre too, anyone else bout the same?

Oh and learning just three aint a good idea!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

roxykid07 wrote: »
    Im in 5th year and so far weve just done Plath. Know it inside out though ;)

Were nearly done hamlet and have done our literary genre too, anyone else bout the same?

Oh and learning just three aint a good idea!!
    I'm in 5th year also (high-5 :P) and we've done Kavanagh, Rich, Plath, Boland and we finished Hamlet and then some general comprehension work/essays etc!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭gant0

do the 3 women and the someone who you think is another likely possibilty to come up....no need for 5 at all at all:D

• Registered Users Posts: 24 soniacore

I'm only studying Sylvia Plath.
    If she not gonna be one , **** this I'm walking outa there and repeating next year!
    The weather these days is not helping alot -.-

Advertisement