Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Construction or Tech Graphics?

• 07-03-2011 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭

Hey lads, yes i know another 3rd year invading your boards but i want an opinion! :pac:

I have to fill out the form for subject choices, and am undecided between construction studies and tech graphics. Id very much apreciate a comment from anyone who does either or both, ie difficulty, level of work involved, interesting or not etc.

EDIT: Im thinking about going into some kind of engineering in college, so would either be more suited also?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Hey lads, yes i know another 3rd year invading your boards but i want an opinion! :pac:

I have to fill out the form for subject choices, and am undecided between construction studies and tech graphics. Id very much apreciate a comment from anyone who does either or both, ie difficulty, level of work involved, interesting or not etc.

EDIT: Im thinking about going into some kind of engineering in college, so would either be more suited also?
    Definitely DCG (Tech Graph). It's far more useful if you want to go on to do an Engineering course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

Besides the practical element CS is probably one of the most boring subjects you can do with limited challenge if you put the work into the theory.

Whereas DCG is much more challenging and requires a lot of skill, accuracy and speed. It's not terribly interesting either sometimes but can be very enjoyable. The project however can be quite frustrating and time consuming but if you put work in at the start you'll fly it!

Go for DCG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

I'm gonna go with DCG. The theory in CS is indeed meant to be very very boring, whereas I find DCG alot more interesting and involving. I really do have to warn you about the project though. As much as I love the drawing element for DCG, that project was just horrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 techieteacher

I'll agree with the other and say DCG - if you're choosing it on workload maybe DCG not the best option, but certainly for the SolidWorks element of the course choose DCG if you're aiming for metalwork.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Cheers for the replies lads, i was leaning towards DCG anyway so id say i will do that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 COOMKEEN3010

I know im just hammering home the point but definetely do DCG!! It sets you up better for college and students who have DCG are better suited to technology and engineering courses in college. Also construction theory is very broad and boring. DCG is a lot more engaging. There is a much larger syllabus to study for in construction with very little choice. The constuction project is harder to get top marks in and is only worth 25% while in DCG it is easier to get the top marks and is worth 40%. The day piece in construction feels pointless and is hard to complete. Definitely go with DCG and thats from a person whos doing both for their leaving

Advertisement