Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English Poetry!!!!

• 07-03-2011 9:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭

What poets do people think will come up?

Who will come up? 109 votes

Wordsworth
    0% 0 votes
    Dickinson
    22% 25 votes
    Hopkins
    29% 32 votes
    Yeats
    10% 11 votes
    Frost
    4% 5 votes
    Kavanagh
    25% 28 votes
    Rich
    3% 4 votes
    Boland
    3% 4 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭GoldRush4821

I guarantee Wordsworth will come up. It's a shame he's so boring really..

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Blue Badger

okay maybe it's changed since I did it or maybe I've just completely forgotten everything :D (the odds are quite good). But aren't there just two women on the course and one of them is always guaranteed to come up. So why study other poets when you can just do the two women?

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Patriciamc93

okay maybe it's changed since I did it or maybe I've just completely forgotten everything :D (the odds are quite good). But aren't there just two women on the course and one of them is always guaranteed to come up. So why study other poets when you can just do the two women?

We have three on our year.... Dickinson, boland amd rich but rich came up last year!!!

Ya i honestly dont think both women will cone up this year the last time two women came up was in 2005 ans guess who it was ....... Dickinson and boland!!!

Wordsworth has never come up which is good cause i think he is one of the easier poets to understand on the course! Although hopkins is also meant to pop up due to him been the hardest!!!

Personally i think it will be: boland or dickinson, frost worsworth and hoppy. Although i have a feeling they will mess us around and put yeats on instead of wordsworth or hopkins!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 309 ✭✭DaveMur1

• Boland/Dickinson.
    • Frost.
    • Wordsworth.
    • Hopkins.
    Would be shocked if these aren't the exact poets.
    Boland not coming up last year was a surprise for sum people, but every other poet thought to be coming up did. English is still very predictable don't be put off by one exception.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

one thing i would say just because Kavanagh, Yeats and Rich came up last year doesnt mean they wont com up this year! I think yeats will come up again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Gordon Gecko

DaveMur1 wrote: »
    • Boland/Dickinson.
    • Frost.
    • Wordsworth.
    • Hopkins.
    Would be shocked if these aren't the exact poets.
    Boland not coming up last year was a surprise for sum people, but every other poet thought to be coming up did. English is still very predictable don't be put off by one exception.

Not a chance in hell of Hopkins and Wordsworth coming up together, they're in the same "category" (Old Dead Men). Boland is probably odds on given that she fits three "categories" (Irish, alive and a woman). I think Frost will come up, category: (Yank Poet), Wordsworth for the Old Dead man poet and Yeats will be asked too.

Not a chance in hell of Hopkins and Wordsworth coming up together, they're in the same "category" (Old Dead Men). Boland is probably odds on given that she fits three "categories" (Irish, alive and a woman). I think Frost will come up, category: (Yank Poet), Wordsworth for the Old Dead man poet and Yeats will be asked too.

Theres something about Yeats. I think its his last year on the course for awhile. Im open to correction on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭resistantdoor

No doubt WW is coming up. Also, I wouldn't bank on Boland. They might wait another year or two just to make it a bit unpredicatable.
    It's a 95% chance of WW, 50/50 for Boland, imo.

does anybody know if you have to write a letter to a poet does it have to be 4 pages?

Sunny!! wrote: »
    does anybody know if you have to write a letter to a poet does it have to be 4 pages?

Golden rule for any English essay: if it's good enough, it's long enough

• Advertisement

thanks. I love that rule :p

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Violafy

Three of the poet's on this year's course came up last year (Kavanagh, Yeats, Rich), but I actually think one of them might come up again this year.... It seems a bit too predictable otherwise! So I say one of Kavanagh/Yeats, FROST (at least I hope he comes up), Dickinson/Boland, Hopkins.
    I like Boland, but it'd be quite funny if she was left out yet again tbh.

Sunny!! wrote: »

Any poetry question should be around 4 pages. You'll be writing the same sort of thing, just with a "Dear Mr.Frost/Wordsworth etc..." at the start! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭ElectraX

Surely you all learnt from last year with the almost one hundred percent "guarantee" of Eavan Boland coming up!!
    You can't predict these things, last year proved it, and it's almost likely they won't put Boland on again, because they know everyone will be expecting it this year.
    Cover enough poets so that you don't get stung like all the idiots who relied on one tip last year:D

i think at least one of Yeats, Kavanagh and rich are definetly coming up. Love Yeats and rich:D But kavanagh :mad:

I can state with some degree of assurance that Adrienne Rich is NOT coming up this year

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Holly91

well tbh im hoping its the boland or Dicknsn as thats all we have covered :/
    and its all were doing according to our teacher....do you think i should try and do some of the other poets myself,seeing my teacher wont? :confused:

Holly91 wrote: »
    well tbh im hoping its the boland or Dicknsn as thats all we have covered :/
    and its all were doing according to our teacher....do you think i should try and do some of the other poets myself,seeing my teacher wont? :confused:

It's quite likely that one of those two would come up (I can't see both of them coming up together), but you're still really limiting yourself. So basically you wouldn't have a choice on the paper, if you have any choice at all. I can't believe your teacher would only cover 2 :eek:, maybe you should talk about it to your class and all ask her to do another one or two? You have plenty of time left. If not, then you probably should do some yourself, even just briefly, so you won't be completely screwed if neither come up. After all, it's not actually official that a female poet has to come up every year.
    We're doing 5 poets, and I think most schools do around the same. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Holly91

shes a big joke our teacher!! is never in and for our mocks she told us everything that was coming up on the paper! all she ever does is want to find out all the gossip thats goin on in school...i thinks its appauling that such a person is aloud to teach leaving certs let alone teach at all :mad:

we have asked her to do more poets but she doesnt see the point so were not doing anymore :(
    we dont even know the basic structure of what to do for a comparative either....sorry for my little rant:D

but ok thats great thanks :)
    by any chance have you any heads up on which other poets i should do?:P

Advertisement