Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Options to get Wireless to house 25 metres away...

Options
  • 07-03-2011 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    its been asked several times and I have read manys the post on here but still looking for advice.
    I ran a Cat 5e from our garage to our self catering cottage next door (25 metres from our house to cottage) but i went to pull the cable through last weekend and it snapped in the 1/2 inch water pipe i had it in.
    anyways i was looking at wireless options. I was thinking of putting up a NanoStation 2 on each house (http://www.wi-pipe.com/nanostation2-p-313.html?antenna=c8caa2d7593e095381d2bcd10963ef75)
    Could i connect a laptop /smart phone to the wifi on this Nanostation2 without the need for another wifi router on the cottage side?

Is the option above overkill?

Would i be able to get a signal across with normal wi-fi routers? the router in our house has a little signal in the garage but not in the cottage 25 metres away.

any help or ideas would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

`
    I have a a similar situation, I used Ethernet over Power Lines to solve the problem, solution cost about €100.

http://www.netgear.com/home/products/powerline-and-coax/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

the house next door has its own ESB connection so the homeplugs would be out... thanks for the idea. was looking at the range extender there but it doesn't say what the range is! :rolleyes:

just put a belkin 54g wifi router in the garage and i can just get a signal at the outside of the house. If i could get a better range router id say id be able to bridge the routers. I could put the better router upstairs in the garage and inside a velux window so as to up the signal.
    anyone recommend a good wifi router with a good range?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

TBH just get the Nanostation and install it outside pointing at the Cottage, they are powered by PoE so only the one cable going to them and setup the Nano as an AP leaving the DHCP etc to your router and you should have it sorted, provided the Cottage isn't too big / has thick walls?

MC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

You didn't do much research, every second thread here would have told you to avoid Belkin, http://www.boards.ie/search/?q=Avoid+belkin

• Advertisement

TBH just get the Nanostation and install it outside pointing at the Cottage, they are powered by PoE so only the one cable going to them and setup the Nano as an AP leaving the DHCP etc to your router and you should have it sorted, provided the Cottage isn't too big / has thick walls?

MC
    I don't know enough about this but is this what i would have to do:
    1. put the Nanostation on the side of the house and set it as an access point?
    2. place any wifi router in the cottage (possibly near a window as it has the old stone walls) and it would pick up a signal?
    Would there need to be a direct line of sight from the nanostation to the wifi router?
    can you bridge the wifi router and the nanostation? or do i need 2 nanostations, 1 as the AP and the other to get the signal to a router in the cottage?
    3. could a wifi device (laptop, phone, etc) connect to this nanostation AP in the same way?

Sorry for all the questions. would love to know these things before purchasing.
    PogMoThoin wrote: »
    You didn't do much research, every second thread here would have told you to avoid Belkin, http://www.boards.ie/search/?q=Avoid+belkin
    aye, they're a piece of muck alright. I was just trying to see what a signal would be like. I could always place it in the velux of the garage to up the signal but was thinking of getting a cheap Dlink DIR-615 on ebay with the ddwrt on it which would be better.

Would prefer to go with the nanostation if its the better option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Since its a stone cottage, best option is to get 2x nanostations and make a wireless bridge, then add another access point in the cottage. There's a little bit of work involved but its the way that guarantees the best possible service. Get the nanostation 5's, they're 5Ghz, less chance of wireless problems then with channel overlaps to your existing 2.4Ghz wifi

• Registered Users Posts: 33,894 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Why not just run some cable again. Make sure there are no snags in it or anything. It will be the cheapest option. Wireless has its uses but i really dislike it over range especially through any solid structure. Cable is cheap fast and reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

listermint wrote: »
    Why not just run some cable again. Make sure there are no snags in it or anything. It will be the cheapest option. Wireless has its uses but i really dislike it over range especially through any solid structure. Cable is cheap fast and reliable.
    pull a rope with the cable attached, rather than pull just the cable to reduce stress on the cable.

haven't had chance with the crap weather to get the cable through but will be trying it paddys day or the weekend when i have chance. the brother reckons id get a rat to go through a 1/2 inch hydrodare pipe but i don't know. i have red electric duct there as well so i might use that and leave a pull rope in it for using for electric cable again.
    cable is always better but a backup plan incase i can't cable through is also handy.
    many thanks for all the suggestions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

My new wifi router has a good signal on the laptop when about 100 feet away. It's a tp link 8960 and uses the 'n' standard

Advertisement