Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weird orange light over cork....10 mins ago

Options
  • 07-03-2011 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭

Was just out the back having a smoke, was looking up for satalites/ planes like I normally do. Saw a large orange ball that looked like an ICBM or something. Watched it fopr about two minutes until it got too high. Waaaay to fast and moved to far to be an aeroplane....anyone else see this?

I'm not the sort to normally post here about this, just thought it worth mentioning. While I do believe intelligent life exists somewhere else, I dont think they would travel 234908234098234098 light years to probe us or burn cows.

Just thought this was most odd.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Just curious why you posted it here instead of the Astronomy / Space forum, given your apparent skepticism? :confused:

Dunno what it was you saw, but the International Space Station was visible tonight, maybe that was it? Think the Space Shuttle Discovery was chasing it too.

Few people reporting that it was illuminated very brightly also.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=71041989#post71041989

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

I cant believe I missed it

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭loldog

Dave! wrote: »

Dunno what it was you saw, but the International Space Station was visible tonight, maybe that was it? Think the Space Shuttle Discovery was chasing it too.

Have you ever seen the ISS? It is not orange.

Arcto, did you say this light appeared to be rising up from the surface into the atmosphere?

yeah, the ISS passed over tonight..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Arcto

loldog wrote: »

Arcto, did you say this light appeared to be rising up from the surface into the atmosphere?

That's pretty much what it looked like. That's why I thought it was an ICBM or something.

Sorry for posting in wrong thread, I didnt know how to find this part of the forums so I searched UFO and got here. My bad.

• Advertisement

Flying asian wish lantern?

Yes I've seen it many times. Looking at objects miles above the earth, it's quite possible to mistake a subtle orange for a yellow and vice versa.

Would be a bit of coincidence if he saw some other bright object travelling across the sky at the same time that the ISS and Space Shuttle were doing so.

But even still, the ISS is just one suggestion. Coulda been anything really. Chinese lantern anyone? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

It was a chinese lantern.

The ISS had flown over Ireland about an hour before the OPs post.

Saw plenty of these lanterns on New Years Eve and they look like UFOs of orangeish light cloating slowly across the skyline.

They've become v popular at weddings, parties etc

Though now the Coast Guard have to be contacted if anyone is letting those lanterns off into the sky as they are mistaken for emergency flares from boats.

Big Tone wrote: »
    It was a chinese lantern.

No, you think it might have been. But reading the OP's post more carefully you might OBSERVE that he says it moved very fast, way too fast to be an aeroplane.

emm, a chinese lantern isn't an aeroplane... And they can move pretty fast.

• Advertisement

No, you think it might have been. But reading the OP's post more carefully you might OBSERVE that he says it moved very fast, way too fast to be an aeroplane.

They move fast anyway and something close seems to move faster then something far away, an airplane would be much father away.

Take for a moment our friend the bird. He appears to move very fast but thats because he is close where as the plane at 40k feet seems to move slower but is in fact moving essentially much much fast than our bird friend.

In essence, these chinese lanterns are near .. the ones in the field are faaar away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Could be a flying saucer..

survival-faraway.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

I saw people releasing Chinese lanterns from the Clarion hotel last night. My first time seeing them (how sad is that!:)) Big crowd outside watching too.

what are the legal implications to setting a load of these off over a city? i might be cooking up an idea here. Orson Wells style.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Riamfada wrote: »
    what are the legal implications to setting a load of these off over a city? i might be cooking up an idea here. Orson Wells style.
    Youve just given the game away though. :) Do the airports get peed of by these things, or dont they matter to planes?

Oryx wrote: »
    Youve just given the game away though. :) Do the airports get peed of by these things, or dont they matter to planes?

I would assume so for the same reasons people here think they are UFOs. Im sure from a tower they would look like planes in the airspace. But from my experience these things burn out after a few miles.

In essence, these chinese lanterns are near .. the ones in the field are faaar away.

I don't have much faith in your powers of observation if you're not able to read and understand the description given by the OP.

Try harder to come up with a plausible explanation rather than assuming everyone who goes to the trouble of reporting strange things they have seen are morons.

I don't have much faith in your powers of observation if you're not able to read and understand the description given by the OP.

Try harder to come up with a plausible explanation rather than assuming everyone who goes to the trouble of reporting strange things they have seen are morons.

Sorry it was obviously aliens. Plus I didnt observe anything, I deduced. So it would be my powers of deduction that are the problem here. Nice belligerent post though.

loldog, we get lots of reports of strange lights in the sky here. And the most common explanation for the orange or yellow ones is chinese lanterns. Riamfada was bein funny, but making a point that I agree with. It is incredibly hard for even the most intent observer to get a sense of distance, size, or speed of an object against the blank canvas of the sky, where there are no points for comparison. It doesnt make you a moron it just means you have normal eyes like the rest of us.

I watched a documentary once where they planted odd looking lights on a highway at night in a spot where ufo sightings were common. People passing did report them as a ufo to the authorities and gave wildly inaccurate descriptions of the 'craft' they saw. As it was night time they didnt have normal points of reference to gauge size or placement, and their minds filled in the gaps making them think ufo.

• Advertisement

Another anecdote from my own experience which illustrates the point: was walking down the street at night with my mate, when we looked up and saw a bunch of bright dots in the sky, flying around each other. It looked like a load of spaceships miles in the air, having a dogfight or something! Bizarre. My mate's into his paranormal stuff, so he was instantly enthralled. I'm not into my paranormal stuff ;), so I just said I didn't know what it was, and left it at that. It was particularly strange that as we walked further, we looked up at where we expected them to be and they appeared to have vanished.

Next night I'm walking down the same street on my own, and given my curious nature I was on the lookout for the mysterious lights again. I did see them, and again they disappeared when I walked on further. Not wanting to look like a wierdo staring into the sky for too long, I just walked on and forgot about them. About 5 mins further down the road, I looked up and lo and behold, there was a flock of seagulls flying around in front of a big billboard, maybe 50 to 100 ft in the air, being lit up by the lights!

In my head I was thinking maybe the lights were fireflies or some sh*t, seagulls in front of a billboard would not have occured to me in a million years.

Point being, seemingly unusual lights or phenomena can turn out to be something completely mundane that you just won't even think of. Don't let your lack of imagination lead you to completely outlandish conclusions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

As far as i can remember, anything over 10-15 you have to notify the IAA and get a 'permit', I looked into it before, prob. the same idea you have.
    ;)

loldog, we get lots of reports of strange lights in the sky here. And the most common explanation for the orange or yellow ones is chinese lanterns.

Indeed I've seen many of them. But none that resembled an ICBM.

Sorry it was obviously aliens.

Who said anything about aliens? :confused:

Indeed I've seen many of them. But none that resembled an ICBM.

What are the identifying characteristics of an ICBM?

What are the identifying characteristics of an ICBM?

The ones going from east to west usually have a CCCP printed on them in big letters. The ones going from west to east usually have "Peoples Reublic of North Korea" on them and go in whirly motions across the sky.

The ones going from east to west usually have a CCCP printed on them in big letters. The ones going from west to east usually have "Peoples Reublic of North Korea" on them and go in whirly motions across the sky.
    Very freakin' funny. :D

Just trying to find out how different a chinese lantern at 200 feet looks compared to a ballistic missile at 700 miles. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Tragamin2k2

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/event.php?eid=151660258223209

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭jonbravo

this is one amazing orange light and it most love flying around cork:)
    Would someone not just ring up this hotel and ask about their use of lantern's#...if indeed this amazing recurring light is a lantern at all.
    [ or someone that works there!? ]#

• Advertisement

Im sure we would have heard reports of an intercontinental ballistic missile being launched from one soverign state to another.

Advertisement