Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rat Control In Dublin City... Natures Way!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Camac Hibs

what a greedy guts.

Had no idea Herons ate rats or ducks for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

wildirishswan, I spent the best part of an hour last night watching your videos on YouTube - they're amazing! Thanks so much for uploading them.

Oh, and the little duckling on the bit of wood was adorable!

I was wondering, at what point on the dodder did you see the kingfisher? And the otter? And the sleeping foxes with the heron? I'd love to go and have a gander myself. Could you PM it to me? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Was the rat still alive when swallowed? Sounds horrible, but what if he started trying to chew his way out of the Heron? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,677 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

cosmic wrote: »
    they're amazing! Thanks so much for uploading them

+ 1, thanks, you must have great patience!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭breadandjam

Wow- that's amazing I often watch the Herons on the Tolka from the Botanic Gardens but I've never seen anything like that. Amazing- thanks for posting that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Why didn't the bird just hold the rat under water, drown it, and then swallow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 wildirishswan

cosmic wrote: »
    wildirishswan, I spent the best part of an hour last night watching your videos on YouTube - they're amazing! Thanks so much for uploading them.

Oh, and the little duckling on the bit of wood was adorable!

I was wondering, at what point on the dodder did you see the kingfisher? And the otter? And the sleeping foxes with the heron? I'd love to go and have a gander myself. Could you PM it to me? Thanks!

Well this time of year is great for spotting these animals, the Foxes will be raising cubs soon and the Kingfisher becomes more active now during the breeding season, but you can see the Kingfisher everyday zooming along and fishing on the dodder. More light means a greater chance of seeing the Otter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 wildirishswan

Nolanger wrote: »

From what i have observed the Heron uses the water as leverage to break the Rats neck and a bit of water makes the meal go down smoothly.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭donegalgirl28

****ing freaky birds they are! Seen one right outside my house on the green, just standing there. *shivers*

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭RubyRoss

Can I bring one home to Kerry to gobble up the rats in my garden?
    Edit: forgot to say the video is fantastic

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭vampire of kilmainham

Camac Hibs wrote: »
    what a greedy guts.

Had no idea Herons ate rats or ducks for that matter.
    like your user name the camac river flows past the back of where i live iv seen herons devor rats along it's banks..

Cianos wrote: »
    Was the rat still alive when swallowed? Sounds horrible, but what if he started trying to chew his way out of the Heron? :eek:
    no he would be dead before the heron swollows it they know when there prey are dead:eek:

Nolanger wrote: »
    it's easyer for the heron to swollow it's prey when it's wet..

****ing freaky birds they are! Seen one right outside my house on the green, just standing there. *shivers*
    he's watchin ya dont pee outside:eek::eek::eek:

RubyRoss wrote: »
    Can I bring one home to Kerry to gobble up the rats in my garden?
    Edit: forgot to say the video is fantastic
    get a big cat there just as good iv got a big tom cat and he devours rats and mice my dog just sits and watches him and yes the dog and the cat do get along together just in case anyone asks:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

OP - I really enjoy your videos on here. I love the idea of all this wildlife right in the city. My friend's outdoor fish were decimated by a heron but I had no idea that they ate such large prey.

Advertisement