Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems with Render - Vegas Pro 10

Options
  • 07-03-2011 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭

Ok. I'm using Vegas Pro 10.0 trial for a ski tour project and I'm having problems with my render. For a 4:20 minute clip, when I render I get about 2 and a half minutes of picture with sound, then it reduces to sound only until about 3:40, then nothing comes through at all. Can someone help as I'm not used to Vegas. Is there something I'm missing. BTW, I've tried AVI and MP4 and I've reduced the quality from best to good but still happening.

Help please. I need this finished really soon.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

Bit obvious but make sure you haven't accidentally removed the audio/video at those points.

Try rendering with WMV and playing with WMP.

I had the same problem with the audio before but I tried a different format and it worked grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Leeg17 wrote: »
    Bit obvious but make sure you haven't accidentally removed the audio/video at those points.

Try rendering with WMV and playing with WMP.

I had the same problem with the audio before but I tried a different format and it worked grand.
    Those weren't exact times. They were just general estimates. It varied everytime I tried but was always close enough to the same point. I'll try anyway.

EDIT: No Good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Average-Ro

Delete any unused audio or video tracks on the timeline. Also, delete any track that's muted, or has the volume all the way down. Extra tracks that aren't used used to confuse Sony Vegas 9, it might be the same with Vegas 10.

Also, highlight everything, copy it, open a new project and copy it into the new timeline. You might be working on a corrupt timeline. A problem more common in Final Cut Pro, but it has happened in Vegas.

What's the final destination? Just a file that you can share on USB? Or is it going on DVD? What bitrate settings are you using to render the MP4? And what was it shot on originally? Sorry about all the questions, but it might help paint a clearer picture:)

Average-Ro wrote: »
    Delete any unused audio or video tracks on the timeline. Also, delete any track that's muted, or has the volume all the way down. Extra tracks that aren't used used to confuse Sony Vegas 9, it might be the same with Vegas 10.

Also, highlight everything, copy it, open a new project and copy it into the new timeline. You might be working on a corrupt timeline. A problem more common in Final Cut Pro, but it has happened in Vegas.

What's the final destination? Just a file that you can share on USB? Or is it going on DVD? What bitrate settings are you using to render the MP4? And what was it shot on originally? Sorry about all the questions, but it might help paint a clearer picture:)

Deleted unused tracks, then copied all to a new .veg file. Rendered as mpeg-2 and it worked. Thank you!

Video was shot with a sony handycam onto mini-dv tapes. Uploaded to a mac with iMovie and then copied to my system.

I want it to be the best quality possible for use as part of a DVD. What would be the best format?

Another issue is interpolation. There are parts of the video sped up to x3 and there is awful interpolation/lines rather than curved edges to objects. Is there anything I can do?

Jackobyte wrote: »
    Deleted unused tracks, then copied all to a new .veg file. Rendered as mpeg-2 and it worked. Thank you!

Video was shot with a sony handycam onto mini-dv tapes. Uploaded to a mac with iMovie and then copied to my system.

I want it to be the best quality possible for use as part of a DVD. What would be the best format?

Another issue is interpolation. There are parts of the video sped up to x3 and there is awful interpolation/lines rather than curved edges to objects. Is there anything I can do?

Glad it worked for you:) I've spent many times wrestlling with editing software, trying to get things right.

Quick question before I start going on about fixing the interpolation and DVD burning.

Where/what stage are you seeing the lines? As in, are you watching the MPEG2 file on your computer and seeing it? Have you burned it to DVD and are watching it on the computer and seeing it? Is it on DVD and you're watching it on TV and you're seeing it? Might seem trivial, but this all matters:)

• Advertisement

Glad it worked for you:) I've spent many times wrestlling with editing software, trying to get things right.

Quick question before I start going on about fixing the interpolation and DVD burning.

Where/what stage are you seeing the lines? As in, are you watching the MPEG2 file on your computer and seeing it? Have you burned it to DVD and are watching it on the computer and seeing it? Is it on DVD and you're watching it on TV and you're seeing it? Might seem trivial, but this all matters:)
    Interlace was when watching it on the computer. I've tried different formats with varying results. I played with it today and am relatively happy with it now. It is watchable now but could still be better. The best I could get (the least interpolation) was by changing project properties to Field Order: Upper level first, Deinterlace method: interpolate fields, Pixel format: 32bit Full range, Full Resolution Rendering Quality: Best.

BTW, I'll probably be burning it with DVD Architect.

Interlace was when watching it on the computer. I've tried different formats with varying results. I played with it today and am relatively happy with it now. It is watchable now but could still be better. The best I could get (the least interpolation) was by changing project properties to Field Order: Upper level first, Deinterlace method: interpolate fields, Pixel format: 32bit Full range, Full Resolution Rendering Quality: Best.

BTW, I'll probably be burning it with DVD Architect.

That's your problem. Looking at an MPEG2 or burned DVD on a computer will result in those lines as a computer screen isn't calibrated to those settings, a TV is, so you won't get those lines on a TV. Change those settings you changed back to what they were (Field order should be lower field first if it's from a mini DV tape for example) Deinterlace method, pixel format etc. Change them back to the way they were. Keep the Render Quality at best though.

Once that's done, render an MPEG2 video file (Choose the "DVD Architect PAL Widescreen video stream" template in the "Render As" window) The default settings should be just fine if the video is only 5 minutes long.

This will give you a video only file. You have to render the audio seperately. To do this, choose "Dolby Digital AC-3 Studio" in the render window. Save it to the same folder as the MPEG2 and give it the exact same name.

DVDs are burned in an MPEG2 format. Even if you import a WMV or AVI, the DVD burning software converts it to MPEG2. To save time and quality, it's best to just render it as MPEG2 in the first place.

When you open DVD Architect, drag the video in and the audio should come in with it if it's saved to the same folder and has the same name. If it doesn't, just drag the audio in after.

By the way, if you want to render a copy for computer only (eg: share it on USB or put it on youtube) then this is how you render it without interpolation.

Go to project properties and change the field order to "none (progressive)" and change "deinterlace method" to "blur fields". Click "apply" and then click "OK".

Render it as an MP4. Click on Custom and make sure the field order is set to "none (progressive)". You're better off changing from constant bit rate to Variable Bit Rate as well. So click on Variable Bit Rate, make sure "Two-pass" is on, and set the maximum and average bps. About 14,000,000 for both should do the trick if it's computer viewing only.

Let me know how you get on with that:)

Once that's done, render an MPEG2 video file (Choose the "DVD Architect PAL Widescreen video stream" template in the "Render As" window) The default settings should be just fine if the video is only 5 minutes long.

This will give you a video only file. You have to render the audio seperately. To do this, choose "Dolby Digital AC-3 Studio" in the render window. Save it to the same folder as the MPEG2 and give it the exact same name.

DVDs are burned in an MPEG2 format. Even if you import a WMV or AVI, the DVD burning software converts it to MPEG2. To save time and quality, it's best to just render it as MPEG2 in the first place.

When you open DVD Architect, drag the video in and the audio should come in with it if it's saved to the same folder and has the same name. If it doesn't, just drag the audio in after.
    Will that still be alright if I'm adding other video's to the DVD as well? I have a separate 30 minute one and a seperate 10 minute one.

Thanks for everything. You seem pretty handy at this so I was wondering if you could look at this as well?

Will that still be alright if I'm adding other video's to the DVD as well? I have a separate 30 minute one and a seperate 10 minute one.

Thanks for everything. You seem pretty handy at this so I was wondering if you could look at this as well?

Just name the 30min video something else (but make sure the video and audio names are the same) and it should be fine. Note; if you're dragging the video in seperately, they will be played seperately on the DVD. As in, you'll have to go back to the menu to play the other video, you can't skip ahead to it (I'm only about 80% sure of that) but that might be what you want anyway.

I have a useful PDF that gives you rendering tips for burning a DVD with Architect from Vegas. It also has a bitrate table that shows you what your settings should be depending on the length of the video. If you PM me your email address, I could send it on to you. The PDF is 6 pages, but it's only the first 2 pages that you need to read regarding rendering for DVD. I use the table everytime I'm rendering a DVD to make sure I have the right bit rate settings.

Had a look at that link you posted as well. You seem to know exactly what type of music you're after, but I can't really make any recomendations without seeing the piece your editing it to. The music should add to the video and help convey the right feel and emotion; I'd have to see the video to do that. Sorry!

• Advertisement

Had a look at that link you posted as well. You seem to know exactly what type of music you're after, but I can't really make any recomendations without seeing the piece your editing it to. The music should add to the video and help convey the right feel and emotion; I'd have to see the video to do that. Sorry!
    No bother. Since I've posted that, I've released that there are a few patches that need some slower stuff. THat's why I bumped it last night.

Advertisement