Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keyboard warrior atheists in AH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,365 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Im not at all religious, i laugh at the idea of it if im honest, but in no way i ever force my beliefs onto people. You are entitled to believe what makes you the happiest.

But when people come along and shove their beliefs in my face and expect me to bow under it, thats when i go nuclear!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

MrStuffins wrote: »
    But she said "God created the earth and then Adam and Eve". (I didn't think people ACTUALLY believed that but i digress) I replied "Well, you believe Dinosaurs existed right?"
    My argument to that is always, the only real incorruptible evidence of your god is that he created everything, so the only true way to truly understand god is to study his work and the only way to do that properly is through scientific study.
    If you really wanted to be closer to god you would be putting all your efforts into understanding the universe which he created and not some completely human centric books written by people that where well known to be corruptible and ignorant of the natural workings of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Einhard wrote: »
    Sounds like a really crackin' party!!

Ye sure it wasn't a prayer meeting?!:p

Well, in general i don't like to talk about politics or religion while at parties, but it seemed that this girl's religion was so important to her that it was all she could talk about!

Which was great, coz that gave me plenty of time to look down her top admire her beautiful eyes!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Where? You made a claim, where did you back it up exactly? Wait....... you wouldn't be not practicing what you preach would you?

Let me break this down into a simple example for you... we'll take Schrodinger's Cat and two people. One person poses the question 'Is the cat dead or alive?'... the other answers 'It's alive' to which the first responds 'no you idiot it's obviously dead scoff scoff'. Now they can both take a position on dead or alive with equal chance of success. However when the first undermines the second person by claiming absolute certainty on their belief the burden of proof has shifted. Takes a bit more thinking than Papal Infallibility I suppose, so I don't expect a conclusion any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Well, in general i don't like to talk about politics or religion while at parties, but it seemed that this girl's religion was so important to her that it was all she could talk about!

Which was great, coz that gave me plenty of time to look down her top admire her beautiful eyes!

And look into her soul obviously...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Religious people are nutjobs who deserve to be put in an insane asylum for nutjobs.

/thread

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Have we got any evidence of this bias yet or do we have to go looking for it ourselves?

All we seem to have is a few posters belief but a refusal to quote examples. Luckily we aren't in the Politics board because it gets short shrift there, Thank God! ;)

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

This is where I have to stop thanking posts and make one of my own.

The Roman Catholic faith is pushed on the majority of Irish children. Your personal experience doesn't invalidate this fact. Why are you annoyed by people telling you it's stupid? Instead of getting angry, why not listen to what they have to say?

Irish people have a terrible habit of masturbating (pun!) to the thought of the status quo. They don't like having our beliefs questioned, or having to think about things; they avoid conflict, shy away from intellectual argument, and can't fathom the idea of shaking off mammy mentality. They tell people to shut up when they stand up and make a fuss over an obvious injustice. It's like stockholm syndrome, or some other weird love of obedience. This is why Ireland is largely still a backwards country.

To destroy Fianna Fáil, it took the worst financial scandal in the history of the state. To damage the Catholic Church, it took public recognition of decades of systematic child abuse and rape. And yet, despite these advances into the 21st century, they exposed the worst of being Irish: for example, when the student protests were happening, so many people sat around, complaining about the protesters, as if challenging something is abhorrent (not specifically the violence which took place). The exact same thing happens with atheists.

According to swathes of the Irish public, atheists shouldn't attack religion or superstition. But why? I reckon it's because Irish people - especially the religious or loopy 'spiritualists' - just don't like having to think. In the same way that a public speaker in Temple Bar ranting about brutal régimes in the Middle East would be dismissed and ignored by 99.9% of Irish passers-by (regardless of how correct or reasonable his arguments are), atheists are told to shut up and stop criticising religion, despite its horrific crimes and constant desire to retard the minds of children and humanity's scientific and rational progress.

Bah. :pac::pac::pac:

Nail on the head

prinz wrote: »
    Let me break this down into a simple example for you... we'll take Schrodinger's Cat and two people. One person poses the question 'Is the cat dead or alive?'... the other answers 'It's alive' to which the first responds 'no you idiot it's obviously dead scoff scoff'. Now they can both take a position on dead or alive with equal chance of success. However when the first undermines the second person by claiming absolute certainty on their belief the burden of proof has shifted. Takes a bit more thinking than Papal Infallibility I suppose, so I don't expect a conclusion any time soon.

Yawn!

Prinz, you are doing what you ALWAYS do and that is avoid any kind of answer. In these threads, you always make ridiculous claims, use ridiculous logic to try to back up your claims, you ignore peopple who call you on it............

i'll give you a very simple example:

You were asked who was richer.

You said Dawkins.

You later creid about people not backing up their claims.

You can't back yours up.

Simples!

I guess it's a valid method to harvest thanks...

Anyway, Ignoring the rest of the populist thanks-whoring in the rest of your post...

Who's telling Atheists to shut up? Being told to be civil and refrain from making nasty snide comments about people "not being able to think for themselves" and the like isn't telling them to shut up. It's telling keyboard warrior atheists to be civil to other people.

If there was a Leaving Cert exam for Propaganda you'd get an A1 for that.
    You keep stating this and then refusing to give an example. People from both side may occasionally be rude. Religious dont have a monopoly on stupidity.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Daegerty

Jaysus, 21 fecking pages of this ****e already?!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

I'd hate to see your difficult example!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Keyboard warrior atheists & theists in AH. Are you sick of them? cos I am.
    In AH I dislike the atheist folk, the islamic folk, the christain folk, some of the pagan folk, and all of the non-believers...
    what would you call them?
    I usually growl SATAN at them while giving them the horns :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

I do try not to post in religious type threads, I really do but when someone posts the yearly thread about what they are giving up for lent, I find it very very hard not to be sarcastic and post...
    I am sure your lord Jesus who is the source of all life and morality and who died a horrific death on the cross for the sins of all mankind really appreciates the sacrefice you have made for 40 days in honour of his sacrefice for you......How are you ever going to live without Moro bars for 40 days though!!!"

Heres, where it gets interesting. A true believer could conceivably say the same thing to the Moro giver upper. ie. to all those a la carte believers out there. Those legions of Irish people who only step foot in a church at Christmas, funerals and weddings, who think giving up Moro's are a worthy offering, who ignore most of the rules of their religion, whos understanding of their own religions doctrine is so wrong that unbeknownst to them because they are too lazy to learn about it are actually closer to the beliefs of Protestants (Hiss, spit), people who think the bible is the most important book ever written inspired by the creator of the whole universe, but who have never gotten around to reading it.

These people. These people are usually the ones here giving out about atheists or demanding respect for their religious beliefs......You don't even respect your own religions beliefs so why the fcuk should I??????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Daegerty

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Atheists and the Religious arguing.

What an incredible waste of time.

LOL. No evidence needed for unsubstantiated claims? The internet really has changed.

Well. If its good enough for religion....

Dear Ch****, what a monster this thread became while I was at work. I'm currently on a mobile, so I will be brief.

I started this partly as a vent to stop myself dragging two other threads off topic. What has transpired is that here, as in many other threads, atheist posters have used the thread to preach to anyone unlucky enough to read all about the "evils of religion". There is a serious chip on the shoulder regarding the existence of religion in society, and have no qualms about arguing that their opinion is fact.

everyone seems to have ignored my underlined words "& theists" in my original post. My point is *not* that I think atheists are wrong and that they need to stop blaspheming. I just think that, in people's crusades to talk down other people's beliefs, they forget the Cardinal Rule.

Don't be a dick.

We're lucky enough that there's no religious crazies trying to talk down everyone else's and big up their own Grand McGuffin. Believe me, I'd let ye all loose on the keyboards on the fanatical moron who does that, even if I happened to be of his Church.

I think this needs a lot more than I can tap on my phone. When I get home I'll be at my laptop and I can give the topic my fullest attention.

For starters, I'll advocate one thing.

Cool Heads.

His simple answer could've just been "Fine, I was the one who said Dawkins was the richer of the 2. I can't back it up. Now, where were we?"

But that's not how Prinz rolls!

Simples!

See, you obviously haven't put any thought into my example. If you had you would have realised that in Schrodinger's Cat it's impossible to know for certain if the cat is alive or dead at any moment. Likewise it is impossible for anyone here to give a definitive answer as to who has the most personal wealth, Mr Ratzinger or Mr Dawkins because as far as I am aware the exact financial position of neither man is common knowledge. Therefore we can only guess based on estimates and common sense. I used mine, apparently others cannot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

RichieC wrote: »
    If I ran around the place saying there was an invisible man watching me all the time I'd be put in a home, all I need to add is "oh but it's god" and I'm sane again... it's pretty funny old setup.

The real irony being the home in question could well be one run by......well you know.....

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Daegerty wrote: »
    Jaysus, 21 fecking pages of this ****e already?!

And not a single mind changed.. par for the course in this type of thread

Some people can be sensitive but that's not what i'm talking about.

An example of what i'm talking is someone saying that all religious people cannot think for themselves or are somehow of inferior intelligence. Things along that vein.

Link?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Thread has finally got back on topic.

A few things before we continue.

Leave the modding to the mods please.

Back up your arguements. :rolleyes: does not count.

Quit with the veiled insults.

See, you obviously haven't put any thought into my example. If you had you would have realised that in Schrodinger's Cat it's impossible to know for certain if the cat is alive or dead at any moment.

Yawn!
    Likewise it is impossible for anyone here to give a definitive answer as to who has the most personal wealth, Mr Ratzinger or Mr Dawkins because as far as I am aware the exact financial position of neither man is common knowledge. Therefore we can only guess based on estimates and common sense. I used mine, apparently others cannot.

Ah, so there we have it, it's taken you long enough, but now you're saying that, after you claimed Dawkins was the richer, you can not substantiate your claim.

Very good Prinz, we seem to be making progress!

Also, you used YOUR common sense, explains quite a bit!

Anyway, Ignoring the rest of the populist thanks-whoring in the rest of your post...

That's unnecessary. I know how to articulate myself in such a way as to get people to actually listen. That's not thanks-whoring.
    Who's telling Atheists to shut up? Being told to be civil and refrain from making nasty snide comments about people "not being able to think for themselves" and the like isn't telling them to shut up. It's telling keyboard warrior atheists to be civil to other people.

I don't think so, unless your meaning of civility is to not question others' beliefs at all.
    You're atheist and proud, we get it, we do. Now can we cut the religious debate cr*p and get back to the "yore ma" jokes? Thousands of years of human civilisation has yet to find a definitive solution, I hardly think AH will find what countless billions have failed to.

Additionally, several other posters in this thread have not been complaining specifically about vitriolic atheism, but challenges to religion in general. I am all for being civil; there's a difference between civility and passivity, like there's a difference between aggressive debate and being a prick. I would never actively attack anyone for believing in any deity, but once they express that belief or act upon it in a loopy or immoral way, they're fair game. Religious faith is not exempt from criticism. Silly reactions - such as the original post and lines like 'not believing in God is hip these days, it's a trend' (paraphrase) - to challenges, are products of religious thinking which cannot rationally defend itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭flas

This is where I have to stop thanking posts and make one of my own.

The Roman Catholic faith is pushed on the majority of Irish children. Your personal experience doesn't invalidate this fact. Why are you annoyed by people telling you it's stupid? Instead of getting angry, why not listen to what they have to say?

Irish people have a terrible habit of masturbating (pun!) to the thought of the status quo. They don't like having our beliefs questioned, or having to think about things; they avoid conflict, shy away from intellectual argument, and can't fathom the idea of shaking off mammy mentality. They tell people to shut up when they stand up and make a fuss over an obvious injustice. It's like stockholm syndrome, or some other weird love of obedience. This is why Ireland is largely still a backwards country.

To destroy Fianna Fáil, it took the worst financial scandal in the history of the state. To damage the Catholic Church, it took public recognition of decades of systematic child abuse and rape. And yet, despite these advances into the 21st century, they exposed the worst of being Irish: for example, when the student protests were happening, so many people sat around, complaining about the protesters, as if challenging something is abhorrent (not specifically the violence which took place). The exact same thing happens with atheists.

According to swathes of the Irish public, atheists shouldn't attack religion or superstition. But why? I reckon it's because Irish people - especially the religious or loopy 'spiritualists' - just don't like having to think. In the same way that a public speaker in Temple Bar ranting about brutal régimes in the Middle East would be dismissed and ignored by 99.9% of Irish passers-by (regardless of how correct or reasonable his arguments are), atheists are told to shut up and stop criticising religion, despite its horrific crimes and constant desire to retard the minds of children and humanity's scientific and rational progress.

Bah. :pac::pac::pac:

religion holds no relevance to my life, at all, so that is why i get annoyed when atheists are the only ones i hear going on about religion and its evil ways, can you not see the irony in that? that the only people who ever want to discuss religion are the ones who dont have one?

its like atheists need religion in this country so they can have something to preach about!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Quantum mechanics comes easy to prinz.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/search.php

All the proof you need can be obtained through that link.

Sorry for wasting your time Professor. I'm giving up on my philosophy degree.

This is my final reply to this thread of posts. Let me be painfully clear. I don't care if you agree with my observations or not. If you want to see if i'm right go search for yourself. I have no intention of wasting hours of my time "proving" something as pointless as this nor indeed continuing to waste my time saying the same thing over and over again to you.
    Indeed. Its much more productive to waste your time not backing any thing up and saying that you refuse to back anything up because you dont have time..:confused:

• Advertisement

Yawn

Knee-jerking tiring you out that much?

Advertisement