Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keyboard warrior atheists in AH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

flas wrote: »
    that the only people who ever want to discuss religion are the ones who dont have one?

Ah come on now! Nobody could be that bloody blinkered! The laws of this state were, until recently, written with a massive religious input. There are centres in every parish dedicated to discussing religion. There are at least 10 channels on my Skybox devoted to Christianity. All the Irish broadsheets have religious affairs correspondents. RTE has one. Diarmuid Martin and Sean Brady are men of substantial influence in this country. Every school bar one in my town has a religious ethos. Every primary school bar one in my town prepares children for Communion and Conformation.

You're delusional, in light of all this, if you think it's only atheists who discuss religion. It's what i dislike about these kind of threads. An atheist opens his mouth, and he's militant and unreasonable for doing so, while the massive resources dedicated to propogating religious belief in this country are ignored. It's like a whale complaining about the presence of a goldfish!

Zaph wrote: »
    It's a sad fact that many atheists are evangelical in their zeal to spread the word that there is no god. They give the rest of us atheists a bad name.

Yeah thats what i dont get, certain atheists like the ones in atheist forum seem to be just like the religious nuts they complain against, almost seem like they have made a religion of atheism.

If you believe there is no god why not leave it at that? You believe in nothing but then go on and on preaching about it. Seems bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Cool Heads.

So you haven't noticed any of the snide remarks from Christian posters on this thread.

Ah, I think I see what the problem is here and you never will.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

religion holds no relevance to my life, at all, so that is why i get annoyed when atheists are the only ones i hear going on about religion and its evil ways, can you not see the irony in that? that the only people who ever want to discuss religion are the ones who dont have one?

If religion holds no relevance in your life, then why not simply ignore atheists? It's the perfect solution. Just like if you don't care about the soap-boxer in the city centre handling out leaflets to do with the current Middle-Eastern revolutions, you can just not listen to or interact with them.

It's not ironic, sorry. Atheists discuss the errors, fallacies and crimes of religion; we are not making positive claims about the universe, or telling others that they're sinning because of how they live or who they are. If there were no religion, there would be no active atheism. We do not preach stories or tell people they must worship this, that or the other; we present logical, rational arguments for why superstition is undesirable, and why humanity would be better off by embracing science and reason and shrugging off bronze age mythology.
    flas wrote:
    its like atheists need religion in this country so they can have something to preach about!

What you're saying is a perfect example of what I was referring to in my post. You completely misunderstand atheism, and as such, you seem to have developed a dislike for vocal unbelievers. The whole point is that strong atheists (moreso anti-theists) want religion to stay out of their lives. We often hold that it is a negative influence on the world, and for many of us, it does affect us and our families in ways we'd rather not have to live with.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,702 ✭✭✭✭Penn

A lot of people seem to think atheists discuss religion as a way to demean religious people. I discuss religion because I think it's a fascinating topic, historically, socially and psychologically speaking. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and to conform to whatever beliefs they wish to.

However, when the topic of religion comes up, why can't anyone, whether they be atheist, Catholic, Jewish etc, be able to discuss it and give their opinions? If someone says they like the new Green Hornet film, should people who didn't like it not say anything? Or should they be free to discuss the topic, seeing as how it is a discussion forum?

I'm not trying to convince anyone to become an atheist. I'm just giving my opinion, as an atheist. And **** you if you want me to do otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

In real life I never discuss religion with anyone unless they bring up the subject first. I think people will find that the same applies in after hours for the most part. AH isn't full of religious subject threads started by athiests. Its full of religious threads started by theists where atheists have the cheek to post an opposite viewpoint, or point out that the OP doesn't make sense. How dare we say we disagree with a religious viewpoint put into the public domain by a religious person. We truelly are the scum of the earth :rolleyes:

Why is it that I'll be castigated for telling someone that maybe we should be sceptical about what a group of bronze age goat herders from the eastern mediterrainian a few thousand years ago have to say about anything whereas no one will castigate me for telling someone who says that aliens built the egyptian pyramids is talking ****e?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

cisk wrote: »
    If you believe there is no god why not leave it at that? You believe in nothing but then go on and on preaching about it. Seems bizarre.

If you believe in democracy, why not just leave it at that? If you support Sinn Fein, why not just leave it at that? If you think ireland should leave the Eu, why not just leave it at that?

If you were to apply your mantra to any other subject, or group of people, you'd be ridiculed. But, when it comes to atheists, it's ok to state that they should be seen and not heard, tolerated in the abstract at most.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Daegerty wrote: »
    They should rename AH the "Atheist Overflow Forum"

when they're all sick of agreeing with each other they come in here in an attempt to preach to a bigger crowd of unwashed masses

Its a worthy hobby:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

prinz wrote: »
    Knee-jerking tiring you out that much?

A moderator has asked that posters stay on topic and not post veiled insults etc. So I will not reply to this post as I would like.

On topic, i'm Atheist and I KNOW i'm right.

Others are religious, and they KNOW they're right.

One day, an internet forum post will be so awesome and so convincing, that one side will prevail.

Now if you don't mind, i'm off to change my Facebook profile picture to that on a cartoon character so i can eradicate child abuse!

cisk wrote:
    Yeah thats what i dont get, certain atheists like the ones in atheist forum seem to be just like the religious nuts they complain against, almost seem like they have made a religion of atheism.

Wrong on so many levels. Atheism is not a religion. It is a single position on a single issue. We do not believe in nothing, we maintain that religions have not met their burden of proof for their claims.

Because many of us grew up in religious families and were indoctrinated from birth, we were exposed to many things which the generally 'religion-respecting' population ignores, but which are obviously immoral. Additionally, plenty of us see that faith and superstition are not conducive to progress, and serve only to harm the interests of humanity. For active atheists, it's really quite similar to any other social cause.

• Advertisement

Einhard wrote: »
    If you were to apply your mantra to any other subject, or group of people, you'd be ridiculed. But, when it comes to atheists, it's ok to state that they should be seen and not heard, tolerated in the abstract at most.

Because we must 'respect' religion. Criticising it is just a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Calibos wrote: »
    In real life I never discuss religion with anyone unless they bring up the subject first. I think people will find that the same applies in after hours for the most part. AH isn't full of religious subject threads started by athiests. Its full of religious threads started by theists where atheists have the cheek to post an opposite viewpoint, or point out that the OP doesn't make sense.

In fairness there are three threads including (including this one) that could be related to Christianity in particular and not one of them AFAIK was started by a theist. To claim that the majority of threads relating to religion in After Hours are started by theists is nonsense and we all know it. You get the odd muppet granted but eh far, far, far more threads taking the mick out of religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

Calibos wrote: »
    Why is it that I'll be castigated for telling someone that maybe we should be sceptical about what a group of bronze age goat herders from the eastern mediterrainian a few thousand years ago have to say about anything whereas no one will castigate me for telling someone who says that aliens built the egyptian pyramids is talking ****e?

Because the bible says the Israelites built the pyramids. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

See, you obviously haven't put any thought into my example. If you had you would have realised that in Schrodinger's Cat it's impossible to know for certain if the cat is alive or dead at any moment. Likewise it is impossible for anyone here to give a definitive answer as to who has the most personal wealth, Mr Ratzinger or Mr Dawkins because as far as I am aware the exact financial position of neither man is common knowledge. Therefore we can only guess based on estimates and common sense. I used mine, apparently others cannot.

A: That wasn't good enough for you earlier, when you thought it was me that made the claim and not yourself. Why the change now?
    B: Using "estimates" and "common sense" you figured that Dawkins was the richer? Really?

Come off it would you.
    Isn't lying a sin?

B: Using "estimates" and "common sense" you figured that Dawkins was the richer? Really?

Yeah like I said, I must've been about 5 when I realised that the value of the paintings in the National Gallery doesn't make the President any wealthier as a person. That idea is still lost on some.

Yeah like I said, I must've been about 5 when I realised that the value of the paintings in the National Gallery doesn't make the President any wealthier as a person. That idea is still lost on some.

That doesnt work and you know it:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

Kill this thread, kill it with fire!

Yes burn the unbelievers... it worked in the past:D

Yes burn the unbelievers... it worked in the past:D

It clearly didn't, just look at this thread.:p

That's really quite a silly answer and well you know it

You do know you can stop reading it don't you?:)

• Advertisement

You do know you can stop reading it don't you?:)

Try telling that to my eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭flas

If religion holds no relevance in your life, then why not simply ignore atheists? It's the perfect solution. Just like if you don't care about the soap-boxer in the city centre handling out leaflets to do with the current Middle-Eastern revolutions, you can just not listen to or interact with them.

It's not ironic, sorry. Atheists discuss the errors, fallacies and crimes of religion; we are not making positive claims about the universe, or telling others that they're sinning because of how they live or who they are. If there were no religion, there would be no active atheism. We do not preach stories or tell people they must worship this, that or the other; we present logical, rational arguments for why superstition is undesirable, and why humanity would be better off by embracing science and reason and shrugging off bronze age mythology.

What you're saying is a perfect example of what I was referring to in my post. You completely misunderstand atheism, and as such, you seem to have developed a dislike for vocal unbelievers. The whole point is that strong atheists (moreso anti-theists) want religion to stay out of their lives. We often hold that it is a negative influence on the world, and for many of us, it does affect us and our families in ways we'd rather not have to live with.

i have not developed a dislike for atheists, i have how ever developed a dislike for people who tell me what i should and should not believe in, that my views dont suit their's and in having these views i am wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

KeithAFC wrote: »
    They are idiots. Ignore.
    Atheists are "idiots" coz... they disagree with you?

That's really quite a silly answer and well you know it

That's the ridiculous logic you based your argument on.

i have not developed a dislike for atheists, i have how ever developed a dislike for people who tell me what i should and should not believe in, that my views dont suit their's and in having these views i am wrong.

And who has done that to you and in what way. they sound like asholes

I think they're called priests

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭flas

I think they're called priests

priests, loud mouth atheists, preachers, yes they are all included in that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

god created charlie sheen. lol

It clearly didn't, just look at this thread.:p

It clearly did. It has taken until the early 21st century for people realise that that the beliefs of ancient middle eastern goat herders and the power structures which have sprung from it shouldnt actually be allowed to affect their lives. And now that this horse sh1t is being challanged without fear of a good auld burning the happy clappy complacent population whould really rather we didnt.:(

• Advertisement

That's the ridiculous logic you based your argument on.

The irony of religious people questioning logic never ceases to amuse me.

Advertisement