Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keyboard warrior atheists in AH

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

flas wrote: »
    priests, loud mouth atheists, preachers, yes they are all included in that.

All 3 are one and the same.!
    As a loud mouthed atheist I have a pulpit i can talk from every day, get deference from my followers and am the chair of the committee of my local state funded school .. AND I DIDNT EVEN HAVE TO BE VOTED IN:D

and keep this to yourself but the last time I rode a young fella the King of The Atheists just had me moved to Dingle.. shhhhhhhhhh

Its great being an atheist loud mouth isnt it Ted

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Dan I Am

darragh16 wrote: »
    Don't like them high and mighty atheists, they look down on those who believe in god or organised religion.

Agnostics are much better and I'd say a lot of people who claim to be atheist are actually agnostic.

Hmm. You accuse high and mighty atheists of looking down on believers, and in the following sentence presume to know the mind of a lot of atheists better than they do:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

flas wrote: »
    priests, loud mouth atheists, preachers, yes they are all included in that.

The holy(shít) trinity!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

The irony of religious people questioning logic never ceases to amuse me.

and people wonder why theists don't like atheists...

farna_boy wrote: »
    and people wonder why theists don't like atheists...

Do they wonder.? I thought it was obvious.
    Theists believe in a whole multitude of conflicting Gods and atheist think its a bit odd seeing as no one has ever seen one God let alone several and have the gall to say so. Its insensitive to theists is what it is.
    Arrogant atheists pointing out the obvious

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

If you are going to persist in the 'pope is loaded because vatican is full of paintings and jewels' nonsense then you it's self-harming. Seriously you have nothing to add except 'I went to the vatican once, pope is loaded lolz'. That's enough for me to disregard everything else.

Do they wonder.? I thought it was obvious. Theists believe in a whole multitude of conflicting Gods and atheist think its a bit odd seeing as no one has ever seen one God let alone several and have the gall to say so. Its insensitive to theists is what it is.

Here's the thing though, most theists have no problems with atheists knowing whatever it is they know whatsoever. The problems arise in threads like this when some people make fools of themselves discussing religion and then have to resort to stupid 'insults'. At first it's laughable and we could all share the joke. Then it keeps happening and patience wears thin.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Plenty of logicians, philosophers and scientists are/were religious, they're just able to compartmentalise a lot better than most people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

how has this managed to go on for 25 pages....

oh..

hi prinz

prinz wrote: »
    Here's the thing though, most theists have no problems with atheists knowing whatever it is they know whatsoever. The problems arise in threads like this when some people make fools of themselves discussing religion and then have to resort to stupid 'insults'.

What do atheists know?
    I think the common stance is that they dont bloody know and are waiting to find out. Its religions that 'Know"
    Some atheists insult. Some Christians insult....and?

• Advertisement

Plenty of logicians, philosophers and scientists are/were religious, they're just able to compartmentalise a lot better than most people.

Yup. Get em as a kid and you have em for life more than likely. Perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

If you are going to persist in the 'pope is loaded because vatican is full of paintings and jewels' nonsense then you it's self-harming. Seriously you have nothing to add except 'I went to the vatican once, pope is loaded lolz'. That's enough for me to disregard everything else.

Ok then. I'll ask you out straight.
    1 word answer.
    Is the Pope rich or poor?

Yup. Get em as a kid and you have em for life more than likely. Perfect.

I don't follow. Are you suggesting that some of history's greatest minds were unable to make a conscious decision when it came to their own choice of religion?

I don't follow. Are you suggesting that some of history's greatest minds were unable to make a conscious decision when it came to their own choice of religion?

Nope.
    I am saying that if a person is drip fed religion and fear of going against an angry and jealous God from the moment they are able to understand language then regardless of their intelligence they will more than likely carry non believing this.
    How do i know?
    Religion is nuts and people much more intelligent than i believe in it .....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Do they wonder.? I thought it was obvious.
    Theists believe in a whole multitude of conflicting Gods and atheist think its a bit odd seeing as no one has ever seen one God let alone several and have the gall to say so. Its insensitive to theists is what it is.

No, the problem is atheists saying that theists are incaple of logic and the implications of that statement.

Funny how atheists have no problem with the big bang theory and yet suggest that theists are incapable of logic.

Ok then. I'll ask you out straight.
    1 word answer. Is the Pope rich or poor?

1 word answer lol. The Pope has no personal claim on the wealth of the Vatican or of the Catholic Church at large. AFAIK he used to own an apartment in Rome that was sold when he became Pope. Apart from that perhaps he has some savings from his previous salaries. Again AFAIK he gets a stipend for personal clothing/living expenses but most is covered by the Church (travel costs, lives in the papal apartments, official clothing, stationary etc), income from his books goes to the Church as part of this.
    The Pope is not in receipt of any salary or wage.

Sure he must be rich, rich, rich obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Tahuti

1 word answer lol. The Pope has no personal claim on the wealth of the Vatican or of the Catholic Church at large. AFAIK he used to own an apartment in Rome that was sold when he became Pope. Apart from that perhaps he has some savings from his previous salaries. Again AFAIK he gets a stipend for personal clothing/living expenses but most is covered by the Church (travel costs, lives in the papal apartments, official clothing, stationary etc), income from his books goes to the Church as part of this.
    The Pope is not in receipt of any salary or wage.

Sure he must be rich, rich, rich obviously.

Just as well, given the Vatican Bank is embroiled in it's latest money laundering scandal.

No, the problem is atheists saying that theists are incaple of logic and the implications of that statement.

Funny how atheists have no problem with the big bang theory and yet suggest that theists are incapable of logic.

Nope. Theists are not incapable of logic. Thats a daft notion... except when it comes to religion which by its very definition is illogical. Thats where the blind faith bit kicks into play.
    BTW its a fallacy to think that all atheists are science heads. Im a Mayo farmer from a staunch Catholic background, no third level education and with only a regularpassing interest in science.
    But even with only a passing science interest i think i know where you are heading with your big bang comment and if i have guessed right you are incorrect.
    care to unload it and see if my guess is right please?

Nope.
    I am saying that if a person is drip fed religion and fear of going against an angry and jealous God from the moment they are able to understand language then regardless of their intelligence they will more than likely carry non believing this.
    How do i know?
    Religion is nuts and people much more intelligent than i believe in it .....

And what negative effect will their belief have on your life? As I said, most people are able to compartmentalise religion and scientific endeavour, so their faith should have no bearing on anyone else's life.

I'm only speaking about things on an individual level however. I do think that there isn't enough of a separation between church and state etc, but that's a socio-political issue more than anything else. I wonder how many people in this thread voted for FG who support the public funding of denominational schools and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Who is this God fellow anyway and why is he making the internet upset? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭gargleblaster

it's really odd to me, this backlash against atheists. you'd think atheists were doing seriously horrible things, and not just annoying people on message boards, writing some books, and funding some signs in public places. sure there atheists who personally attack people but the same goes for religious people of all faiths. so why single out atheists for being rude? it just makes no sense at all to me.

and consider the statement that some took offense to, about the irony of religious people banging on about logic. because as someone later pointed out, one would have to be very good at the auld cognitive dissonance to on the one hand believe in something which is completely illogical, and on the other manage to understand logic at all. i would think those people would be the last to take offense at such a statement, because it is quite obviously objectively and demonstratably true. simple logic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Look this papal wealth thing is all very simple to resolve.

If the Pope right now suddenly decided he wanted to spend this evening consuming copious amounts of cocaine in the company of a large contingent of hookers would he:

1) Not be able to afford to
    2) Be able to afford a lot
    3) Not need to spend anything at all. Just take the Popemobile across town to his buddy Silvio's gaf

Just before i get into a pancake making marathon can I say for myself (and Im dam sure this applies to many here.)
    The notion that I may think that all religious (catholics in my case) are un thinking mindless drones with no capacity for logic and are intellectually inferior to me is just plain wrong.
    This would mean that I look down on my entire family and most of my friends and work mates. What I find distasteful is that intelligent as many of them are they point blank refuse to question or even think objectively about religion. Its like a mental blind spot / no go area. They often virtually come within an inch of saying its all a bit nuts but then pull back because it makes them uncomfortable as they have invested their entire life in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

Funny thread is funny!

I generally don't comment on threads that are related to religion - it feels like being stuck in a traffic jam - everybody is picking their noses when they think nobody's looking, blowing their horn & shouting out the window at anyone nearby, and, of course, making absolutely no progress.

Funny to see it bubble up in AH though!

And what negative effect will their belief have on your life? As I said, most people are able to compartmentalise religion and scientific endeavour, so their faith should have no bearing on anyone else's life.

I'm only speaking about things on an individual level however. I do think that there isn't enough of a separation between church and state etc, but that's a socio-political issue more than anything else. I wonder how many people in this thread voted for FG who support the public funding of denominational schools and so on.
    And what negative effect will their belief have on your life?
    followed by
    I do think that there isn't enough of a separation between church and state etc, but that's a socio-political issue more than anything else.

If you have heard of The Census and understand how it is used then you have answered the question for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Atheism doesn't posit any such thing. It's self evidently false. What a thinking atheist would claim however, is that religion is incompatible with logic. There's a subtle but important difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

Quite curious what you mean by this. Acceptance of the big bang theory (though I make no claim to fully understanding it) is in no way property of atheists alone. In fact one of the bigger names in putting together the big bang theory is Georges Lemaître, who was a catholic priest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭gargleblaster

Just before i get into a pancake making marathon can I say for myself (and Im dam sure this applies to many here.)
    The notion that I may think that all religious (catholics in my case) are un thinking mindless drones with no capacity for logic and are intellectually inferior to me is just plain wrong.
    This would mean that I look down on my entire family and most of my friends and work mates. What I find distasteful is that intelligent as many of them are they point blank refuse to question or even think objectively about religion. Its like a mental blind spot / no go area. They often virtually come within an inch of saying its all a bit nuts but then pull back because it makes them uncomfortable as they have invested their entire life in it.

precisely so.

and furthermore, i am an atheist but i enjoy all the religious customs that i care to enjoy. i don't think of this as hypocritical however, i think of it as enjoying various aspects of culture. however there seems to be this all or nothing mindset that religion carries with it (hence the cafeteria catholics stuff or whatever it's called).

it seems to me that most religious people aren't so all or nothing about it as the rules of their chosen religion say they should be, and i don't care one bit. if they want to participate to whatever level they care to that's their business. what galls me is when they start trying to force others to live by their beliefs, and i'm fairly certain that goes for the vast majority of other atheists as well.

Knasher wrote: »
    Quite curious what you mean by this. Acceptance of the big bang theory (though I make no claim to fully understanding it) is in no way property of atheists alone. In fact one of the bigger names in putting together the big bang theory is Georges Lemaître, who was a catholic priest.

Its that Gravity theory I have issues with.
    The world sucks

• Advertisement

precisely so.

and furthermore, i am an atheist but i enjoy all the religious customs that i care to enjoy. i don't think of this as hypocritical however, i think of it as enjoying various aspects of culture. however there seems to be this all or nothing mindset that religion carries with it (hence the cafeteria catholics stuff or whatever it's called).

it seems to me that most religious people aren't so all or nothing about it as the rules of their chosen religion say they should be, and i don't care one bit. if they want to participate to whatever level they care to that's their business. what galls me is when they start trying to force others to live by their beliefs, and i'm fairly certain that goes for the vast majority of other atheists as well.

As an example. My boss as in my superior at work, highly educated will proudly boast that whilst Catholic she doesnt really support The Pope and Rome, doesnt believe in such things as lent and not eating meat on ash Wed's and thinks that transubstantiation is silly. She says this in a 'look how progressive and forward thinking i am about religion'. When I politely ask her if she shouldnt actually just be a protestant she waves her hands about and says something along the lines of "No!!! Im a catholic!!"
    Do I think she is stupid?
    No.
    Is her reaction to my question stupid?
    Hell yes if she would actually think about it and still react this way. But she will not think about it as she has too much to lose.

Advertisement