Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keyboard warrior atheists in AH

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 730 ✭✭✭gosuckonalemon

If there was no religion then:

1) the holocaust would never have happenend,

2) ethnic cleansing of millions across all continents would not have happened and continue to happen

3) thousands of women and children in the DRC would not be raped every week

4) priests in the catholic church would not have been able to be in the position to sodomise young, innocent Irish children for decades

5) our the Magdalene sisters for that matter!

That's only a few reasons off the top of my head why organised religion is the cause of such evil across the world, no doubt there's loads more..

So, those supporting and funding such movements, should have a certain amount of blood on their hands.

Right, I'm outta here, time to make pancakes...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

They are idiots. Ignore.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

flas wrote: »
    alot of people in here talk about not believing in god, talking shit about religion and then go and get married in a church, buried in a church and generally do all the major occasions in life in a church, its all a load of false bravado, talkin muck and trying to act thye big person on internet...

Civil weddings are held in churches?

hmm... don't personally know any athiests that have died yet... so can't really get back to you about the burying thing... I'd prob rather be cremated...

But I have friends and family that are Catholic. I would attend a church for their weddings, kids christenings and funerals. Sure, why wouldn't I?

If a friend of mine was a Muslim and they invited me to a mosque for some ceremony that they were to go through, I'd attend...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

i already did, look at the post above this...
    Maybe you can point out that post to me because as far as I can see you haven't backed up your statement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

1) the holocaust would never have happenend, 2) ethnic cleansing of millions across all continents would not have happened and continue to happen..

These events are the same, whilst religious wars facilitate them, there would have been resources wars over food, water and later minerals, port access and so on.

Religion as well as being a cause in and onto itself, has been used as reason to sell to the public to go to warr.

Bush used the imaginary Islamic Terrorists for instance to get finance and support for the Iraq Wars ~ real cause was the selling of oil in € instead of $.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

i got a week long ban from the athiest forum because the mod
    dickhead imo
    kept saying i was trolling and not answering questions yet i clearly was and the other athiest posters where avoiding mine all from my thread about the same thing the O.P is saying now:pac:

Mick. You do know that all needs to happen is a link to the thread you are on about and everyone will see you are talking out your pooper..dont you?

partyndbs wrote: »
    ahtiests are boring losers with no life....

and no spell checker:)

Oranage2 wrote: »
    hardly, a lot of people form an opinion on not believing in god because its the new main stream belief.

Belief?
    Explain please (Grabs popcorn)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,702 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I agree. Atheists aren't entitled to give their opinions. Oh ****... I'm an atheist, which means I shouldn't be giving my opinion here. Please forgive me.

alot of people in here talk about not believing in god, talking shit about religion and then go and get married in a church, buried in a church and generally do all the major occasions in life in a church, its all a load of false bravado, talkin muck and trying to act thye big person on internet...

Yeah. Theyre called a la carte catholics. You know. The ones who dont believe in transubstantiation and are actually protestants but will tick 'catholic' at the next census thus consigning the country to another few years of back wardness and discrimination.
    But a lot of us dont do what you said.

• Advertisement

RichieC wrote: »
    TBH you'd think Christians would like the BB theory since they could easily insert their god into the gaps..

They did and do.
    "How did that happen?
    "Dunno"
    "Must be God so"
    "I suppose"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

Its so easy to live a life without any religion, We have progressed somewhat and we do not need church ceremonies, have a civil marriage in a reg office or get cremated, Mick Lally the Late Actor had an really nice thing in the crematorium he was an Atheist and that's how i wanna go out a bit of AC-DC high way to hell on the day, Its my choice no one else's and the family have respected my wishes regarding religion.
    I do have a very firm point that if you want to be a catholic(as any other religion) you have to attend church follow their teachings and and no half measures, how many catholic's use contraception, have sex outside marriage, have kids outside marriage ect ect most catholics are Al La Cart Catholics in Ireland and are ‘theologically illiterate’

so you are saying there is no such things as vocational schools in this country in every medium to big town?

Very few are funded by the church any more. They are state funded but the local PP is just automatically the chair of the management committee (Undemocratic no?)
    Also i recently found out that a friend of mine, a teacher who wished to move from one state funded school to another had to write to the Bishop of the school she wished to move to to ask his permission.
    Seriously. The state funds the school, the state pays the wages but the Bishop gets to decide if she is suitable for the post. Its just wrong.

i myself went to a secondary school that was run by priests, it had boarders aswell up until i was in 3rd year, we never had catholic studies, we had a lot of students who had different religions, the second biggest in the school being muslim owing to the big population of african students, our teachers tried to give us an understanding of every religion they could in such a short space of time, no matter what it was, be it protastant, muslim etc.

we never had a church service in the 6 years in spent there even though there was a catholic church on the grounds, every religion was catered for and ignored in the same vain!

i think people are remembering school in ireland before the last 10years...

No. You are generalising from your own experience.
    I live in a rural area. All the schools in my nearest town are State funded but Catholic ethos. The nearest Educate Together school is an hour away. The local rural school on the bus route has the local PP as chair of the committee and this is not an elected position. It is automatic. Every day begins and ends with a prayer and there are religion classes twice a week. I recently learned that upon entering 2nd class a huge amount of time is spent preparing the kids for communion and confession. (my kids not baptised or of any religion so he wont be taking part).
    So that is not school of 10 years ago. its now.
    Why is education time taken up with peoples life style choice of religion. Heres a whacky notion. Do it in your own time.

i would of hoped in this day and age it would be the rule and not the exception. i didnt go to school in a big town by the way, a medium sized town in the midlands, but my school was big.

saying that there was a tech 200 yards away where anyone who wanted could have gone.

and you have spent the last few pages stating that it was the rule. very strongly.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

partyndbs wrote: »
    ahtiests are boring losers with no life....

With no after-life you mean...:cool:
    Oranage2 wrote: »
    not believing in god seems to be the new hip thing to do. god there are a lot of idiots out there

Yeah, because burying your loved ones and being the only one at the graveyard who doesn't believe you'll every see that loved one again is really hip. You should think before you make such offensive and inaccurate comments.
    they might not be the biggests schools in this country but they are in nearlly every medium to big town, of which there are in nearlly every county in this country...

I'm in a pretty large town, and there's one school, a vocational school, which is not run by religious orders. It's the worst performing school in the county I'd imagine, the subject choices are basic to say the least, and many of the LC students actually get a payment to attend. In short, it's a pretty terrible school, and while it's nice that you would even allow us lowly atheists to even have an education, I'd prefer equally of access considering I'm helping to fund the entire education system!
    dont watch rte, so cant comment on that, sorry, and not that big of a drinker either, especially not the old holy wine, prayers being said in schools, just dont get educated in a school funded by a religious order?? and pamplets, never once got one through one of the 5 different doors i have ever lived in from the catholic church? the church is easy to avoid if you want to but people in this country do nothing but give out about it and consistantly go along with it!

The fact that you think religious schools are funded by religious orders indicates that you don't really know what you're talking about. You satte that the Church is easy to avoid, and yet you're on a thread complaining about the obtrusiveness of atheists? Seriously??
    there is a vocational school(a tech) in every medium to large town in this country...

they are funded by the vec's and the state...

As above...
    The worst thing about athiests here is that athiesm has no real reason in modern Ireland. The church hasnt held a smidge of power in over 20 years (kids having to say the Bless the Hands that Made Our Food prayer is not really that important). We dont have the Islam clash of culture issues like the UK, France and Holland do.

The bolded is quite possibly one of the dumbest statements I've ever read on AH. Atheism isn't a reaction to the Church, it's an organic disbelief in something. It doesn't depend in an outside influence to prompt or promote it in someone. If all organised religion fell tomorrow, there'd still be those who believe, and those who disbelieve in deities.
    Basically- if you dont like religion, fair enough. If you harp on about it you are an attention seeking arsehole tbh

So as long as atheists shut their gobs it's ok? Sounds like only a position a genuine arsehole would adopt to be honest.
    Also, few fail to see the irony in lambasting people for going on every word the pope says whilst sucking the knob off money making "genius" like Dawkins.

I've read Dawkins and Hitchens, I share many of their views, and I disagree with them on many others. I think it's important that there are atheist commentators to counter the overwhelming predominance of religious voices around the world. There's nothing wrong with that, and it's not "sucking the knob" of anyone as you so eloquently put it.

Importantly, Dawkins and his like, don't condemn others to fiery Hell if they don't share their beliefs, and there is nobody who lives their lives according to the precepts of either man. Neither can be said for religions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Einhard wrote: »
    I've read Dawkins and Hitchens, I share many of their views, and I disagree with them on many others. I think it's important that there are atheist commentators to counter the overwhelming predominance of religious voices around the world. There's nothing wrong with that, and it's not "sucking the knob" of anyone as you so eloquently put it..

+1

And for some reason I was never copied in on the memo about the big international conclave of select atheists held in a sealed lecture room off Saint Darwin's Square to appoint Dawkins as lifelong worldwide, unspiritual, infallible leader :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭yupyup7up

Blessed are the cheesemakers?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

yupyup7up wrote: »
    Blessed are the cheesemakers?

No, mnaufacturers of dairy products of all kinds.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Einhard wrote: »
    Importantly, Dawkins and his like, don't condemn others to fiery Hell if they don't share their beliefs, and there is nobody who lives their lives according to the precepts of either man. Neither can be said for religions.
    Dawkins and other atheists don't believe in hell. Yet they seem to get awfully irritated the odd time a religious person says they're going to hell (Indirectly at that).

If an atheist believes there is no such thing as hell then surely they have no reason to feel falsely condemned or offended. It's rather like someone telling you "You're going to Atlantis if you don't share my beliefs". It means nothing unless you believe in it. If an Atheist told a religious person that they're going to Atlantis after they die would the religious person care? Surely they'd disagree with them but surely they wouldn't feel insulted by it as it means nothing to them.

That and no man condemns another to 'fiery hell'. People cannot judge each other.

If a religious person wants to believe in their Religion then they're perfectly entitled to and to do so without being ridiculed personally. If you want to criticise their beliefs, you've every right to as do they have a right to criticise your lack of belief. The subject of this thread though is Keyboard Warrior atheists who obnoxiously attack anyone that does not agree with their views using petty insults that do not attack or criticise the person's beliefs but the person themselves.

I won't lie. I have never once witnessed someone making petty insults or personal attacks towards Atheists. It just doesn't happen and if it ever did the person who made the post would get banned for "trolling" or "Insulting other posters". I have however seen far too many times overzealous atheists launching vicious personal attacks on people who disagree with them or so much so as mention Religion in anything but a negative light. Strangely enough these posters are never banned for trolling or insulting people. In fact it's a certain small group of people who thank each other's posts and 'travel in packs' looking for arguments with people. They fight all their wars on the internet and are the type that search for videos they disagree with on Youtube only to insult the authors and start fights. There's nothing wrong with criticising people's beliefs or lack thereof but being nasty about it does nothing to improve your image.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭twinQuins

And I'm sure you've got something to back up all that conjecture with.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I have never once witnessed...
    It just doesn't happen
    That's some leap you have there :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

If a religious person wants to believe in their Religion then they're perfectly entitled to and to do so without being ridiculed personally.

It's like this, change religion and God to aliens or ghosts and tell this to a Psychiatrist and he'll put you on meds and commit you if you persisted.

And in real life, telling the judge that God told you to do kill your victims that they were evil or the devil, life in an asylum, or even the lethal injection

Contrast that with a W Bush and he said God told him things too.

This is where I'm coming from and the only way to free people is to stop them being indoctrinated in the first place.

The human psyche is fragile and once conditioned, it’s nearly impossible to redirect. I’m currently working with the creator to correct this minor anomaly.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Dawkins and other atheists don't believe in hell. Yet they seem to get awfully irritated the odd time a religious person says they're going to hell (Indirectly at that).
    When a religious person says "your going to hell" and means it that is the worst insult they can throw at someone. So religious folk are being very aggressive in their replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

twinQuins wrote: »
    And I'm sure you've got something to back up all that conjecture with.
    I do.

I recommend you use the search function and search for all threads pertaining to Religion in AH. Happy reading.

The mere fact atheists get upset that a religious person says your going to hell is so funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭twinQuins

I do.

I recommend you use the search function and search for all threads pertaining to Religion in AH. Happy reading.

Not good enough. If you make the claim you back it up, I'm not doing your legwork for you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

KeithAFC wrote: »
    The mere fact atheists get upset that a religious person says your going to hell is so funny.
    Which atheists get upset about it?

Lots of people. Going by the comments iv seen on this subject before.

• Advertisement

The ones that suit the posters arguement. You know. Those ones:D

But I do get the point
    The only people who should be annoyed when told to 'go f**k yourself' are lonely well endowed male contortionists

Advertisement