Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keyboard warrior atheists in AH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,702 ✭✭✭✭Penn

KeithAFC wrote: »
    The mere fact atheists get upset that a religious person says your going to hell is so funny.

Well personally speaking, if I was discussing religion with a religious person and after a few minutes, was told I was going to Hell, I'd be a little upset too. Mostly because I'd feel that the conversation was going round in circles and that being told "You're going to Hell" isn't a constructive part of the discussion. When you don't believe in Hell, being told you're going there when having a discussion is pretty much the equivalent of the other person sticking their fingers in their ears and shouting LALALALALALALAICANTHEARYOULALALALALALALA

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

The mere fact atheists get upset that a religious person says your going to hell is so funny.
    Why is it surprising people don't like being insulted? Earning a place in hell means you have to be a horrible person beyond redemption. All religions label people outside of their religions as the worst scum imaginable simply for not believing what they believe. It's an insult.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Lots of people. Going by the comments iv seen on this subject before.
    Care to highlight any of them?

Its not hell that atheists (or whoever) get irked about. Its the fact their way of living life is attracting condemnation for some arbitrary notion that gets the hackles up. Effectively they are being labelled as inferior for refusing to abide by bizarre traditions that they can't or don't want to relate to.

Wouldn't you get annoyed at that?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

bluewolf wrote: »
    That's some leap you have there :rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Relatively speaking there are few to no keyboard warrior theists on AH in comparison to keyboard warrior atheists. That's just what i've observed on AH.
    gbee wrote: »
    It's like this, change religion and God to aliens or ghosts and tell this to a Psychiatrist and he'll put you on meds and commit you if you persisted.
    Ah. But why would anyone go to a psychiatrist if they genuinely believed in Ghosts?
    And in real life, telling the judge that God told you to do kill your victims that they were evil or the devil, life in an asylum, or even the lethal injection
    Obviously, as it is irrelevant who told you to do what. It's the act itself that is punishable by law.
    This is where I'm coming from and the only way to free people is to stop them being indoctrinated in the first place.
    Yes yes... All religious people are brainwashed, indoctrinated and unfree :rolleyes:

The typical generalisation that people use to get the thanks and approval of the AH 'mob'.
    ScumLord wrote: »
    When a religious person says "your going to hell" and means it that is the worst insult they can throw at someone. So religious folk are being very aggressive in their replies.
    Atheists don't believe in hell. Therefore it means nothing to them. An atheist's supposed worst insult is an insult on the intelligence of the person they're insulting. The difference between hell and intelligence is that belief in hell is subject to your views. There's no such thing as 'belief' in intelligence. It just exists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Its heaven I dont want to go to, too many Christians up there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

Dawkins and other atheists don't believe in hell. Yet they seem to get awfully irritated the odd time a religious person says they're going to hell (Indirectly at that).

If an atheist believes there is no such thing as hell then surely they have no reason to feel falsely condemned or offended. It's rather like someone telling you "You're going to Atlantis if you don't share my beliefs". It means nothing unless you believe in it. If an Atheist told a religious person that they're going to Atlantis after they die would the religious person care? Surely they'd disagree with them but surely they wouldn't feel insulted by it as it means nothing to them.

That and no man condemns another to 'fiery hell'. People cannot judge each other.

If you were to tell me that I was going to burn in hell for my beliefs and with your admission that you don't actually have the ability to enforce that; what you are surely implicitly saying is that you hope that I suffer for all eternity. If I were to tell somebody that I hope that the get into a grisly car accident and suffer a slow and painful death, I think that person would have a right to be a little bit angry with me, because even though we would both understand that I have neither the ability or the inclination to enforce such a wish, its still a horrible thing to want for another person. What you would be wishing would of course be infinitely worse because you are hoping the person will suffer for all eternity.

Furthermore it is meant as an insult so why shouldn't people take it in that light.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Relatively speaking there are few to no keyboard warrior theists on AH in comparison to keyboard warrior atheists. That's just what i've observed on AH.

Ah. But why would anyone go to a psychiatrist if they genuinely believed in Ghosts?

Obviously, as it is irrelevant who told you to do what. It's the act itself that is punishable by law.

Yes yes... All religious people are brainwashed, indoctrinated and unfree :rolleyes:

The typical generalisation that people use to get the thanks and approval of the AH 'mob'.

Atheists don't believe in hell. Therefore it means nothing to them. An atheist's supposed worst insult is an insult on the intelligence of the person they're insulting. The difference between hell and intelligence is that belief in hell is subject to your views. There's no such thing as 'belief' in intelligence. It just exists.
    There is hope for the country. Thanks for pointing that out;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Why is it surprising people don't like being insulted? Earning a place in hell means you have to be a horrible person beyond redemption. All religions label people outside of their religions as the worst scum imaginable simply for not believing what they believe. It's an insult.
    Who gives a f*ck what they say? Really. They base it on a religious context and what they believe. So again, who cares?

twinQuins wrote: »
    Not good enough. If you make the claim you back it up, I'm not doing your legwork for you.
    A cop out.

Religious threads pop up every week or so in AH. I'd estimate there are hundreds if not thousands of them. Read a few of them and you will see for yourself. I've no need to prove myself when it's self-evident to anyone who has actually read threads about Religion on AH.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

All religions label people outside of their religions as the worst scum imaginable simply for not believing what they believe. It's an insult.

I think Buddhism would be an exception.

Care to highlight any of them?
    You're going to hell.

/Now class, get ready to take notes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭twinQuins

A cop out.

On your part. If, as you say, this occurs so often you should have no problem providing some examples. Unless you know your claims are actually false and don't wish to expose that.
    Religious threads pop up every week or so in AH. I'd estimate there are hundreds if not thousands of them. Read a few of them and you will see for yourself. I've no need to prove myself when it's self-evident to anyone who has actually read threads about Religion on AH.

I don't tend to read those threads. Again, you're the one making the claim here so you're the one who has to provide the evidence.
    Until then they're just unsubstantiated claims.

A cop out.

In perfectly secular auld Ireland where religion has no impact on anybodys life. Imagine.
    The AA forum is as well moderated as any other so there are little or no personal attacks. But religion is mocked quite a bit beacuse its silly. Just because people invest a lot in the sillyness does not make it less silly or less mockable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

OK.

That settles it, I've compromised, see yes all in Hell! :)

You're going to hell.

/Now class, get ready to take notes.

Go f**k your self!!!!
    See!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Barrington wrote: »
    Well personally speaking, if I was discussing religion with a religious person and after a few minutes, was told I was going to Hell, I'd be a little upset too...

Much like being referred to as brainwashed, stupid, a childrapist etc etc is I upsetting I suppose.
    Its not hell that atheists (or whoever) get irked about. Its the fact their way of living life is attracting condemnation for some arbitrary notion that gets the hackles up. Effectively they are being labelled as inferior for refusing to abide by bizarre traditions that they can't or don't want to relate to.

Delicious irony?

twinQuins wrote: »
    If, as you say, this occurs so often you should have no problem providing some examples. Unless you know your claims are actually false and don't wish to expose that.
    No. Do it yourself. I don't have time to waste trawling through mounds of rubbish petty little arguments filled with these :rolleyes: in every post or two. You're the one who seems entirely unknowledgeable of how Religion threads on AH pan out. Not me.
    I don't tend to read those threads.
    Then why are you here offering your opinion on something you quite obviously know nothing about? If you have never read "those" threads then surely nothing you have to say about "Keyboard warrior atheists in AH" will be of any value to the discussion.
    The AA forum is as well moderated as any other so there are little or no personal attacks.
    This is AH, in a thread about Keyboard Warrior atheists in AH.

It seems to me the only people who really care what religious people spout is people who make money from it (ie, Dawkins, Hitchens etc).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭twinQuins

No. Do it yourself. I don't have time to waste trawling through mounds of rubbish petty little arguments filled with these :rolleyes: in every post or two. You're the one who seems entirely unknowledgeable of how Religion threads on AH pan out. Not me.

So you don't have anything to back up what you're saying. Just as I thought.
    Then why are you here offering your opinion on something you quite obviously know nothing about?

Well first I was pointing out that SeaSlacker had already brought this issue up in Feedback (twice) and it had been dealt with.
    Then I continued reading the thread, saw your unsubstantiated claims, asked for evidence to support them and... here we are.

I don't recall offering an opinion at any stage.
    If you have never read "those" threads then surely nothing you have to say about "Keyboard warrior atheists in AH" will be of any value to the discussion.

That's not what I said. I said I don't tend to read them, meaning I'd read the odd one. In that time I've never seen any examples of personal abuse by ahteists, which would be a pretty clear breach of the charter.

And, considering you made some pretty serious allegations and then failed to back them up I don't think I'm the one who's not adding value here.

• Advertisement

It seems to me the only people who really care what religious people spout is people who make money from it (ie, Dawkins, Hitchens etc).
    I care. I'm not Hitchens or Dawkins.

In fact, I wonder what the traffic is like in the A&A forum these days?

ffs, at least try and post something that's not utterly retarded.

I care. I'm not Hitchens or Dawkins.

In fact, I wonder what the traffic is like in the A&A forum these days?

ffs, at least try and post something that's not utterly retarded.
    You care what religious people think? Wow, the world must be boring on your end. Honestly, why does it matter if a religious person thinks your going to hell if you don't believe in it?

Like i said, two people who make a big fuss about the subject, make money from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Interesting point.
    Who would you say is wealthier, Dawkins or the Pope?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

I'm sorry, this statement screams "I have no idea who Dawkins and Hitchens are beyond the fact that they're famous atheists."

You care what religious people think?

No, where did I say that?

Interesting point.
    Who would you say is wealthier, Dawkins or the Pope?

Dawkins.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

prinz wrote: »
    Dawkins.

Go on, have another guess!

I'm sorry, this statement screams "I have no idea who Dawkins and Hitchens are beyond the fact that they're famous atheists."
    Of course i know who both of them are.
    No, where did I say that?
    You would not comment on them if you didn't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

You care what religious people think? Wow, the world must be boring on your end. Honestly, why does it matter if a religious person thinks your going to hell if you don't believe in it?

Like i said, two people who make a big fuss about the subject, make money from it.

Well done on completely missing the point of being an athiest,or having an issue with religion in society, really, well done.

• Advertisement

Go on, have another guess!

Care to present any statements of individual net worth to go along with this?

Advertisement