Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Female Merlin (was - help with raptor i.d)

• 07-03-2011 10:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I took these pics in october on heath/bogland in wicklow. The Raptor chased a smaller song bird at quite a low level and it became quite acrobatic, ending with the Raptor getting the smaller bird.
    I think it was probably a Merlin, but I've never been sure so thought I'd throw it out there.
    I'm hoping you'll be able to magnify the photos at your end because the original photos only show a tiny image.
    You will see the brown upper parts and very pale under tail with brown and cream bands.
    What's throwing me is the large white cheeks and chin - so maybe juv Merlin - really don't think it was a Hobby.
    Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Feargal as Luimneach

Looks like an adult female merlin. A juvenile Merlin would have barring on the upper wing in flight.

Hobby lacks the barring on uppertail.

A juvenile peregrine can be confused with female Merlin, but the wings tip reach the end of the tail in the perched bird. Juv Peregrine is huge compared to a merlin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

Thanks Feargal. This section would be pretty lost without your knowledge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

Pic 1 is very clear when magnified. Defo female merlin. I live in wicklow also. Have seen them near Lugala, hunting low to the ground. I see many more peregrines to Merlins these days. Only two Merlins last year, one Wicklow, one curragh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

Thanks CC.
    A friend has lent me a book on Merlins in Wicklow (written 2005), just about to start reading it. Interesting you see more peregrines than Merlins now.

Advertisement