Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TONGUE PIERCING

Options
  • 07-03-2011 11:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

hey! :)

im thinking about getting my tongue pierced....i havent got any piercings before and im just wondering would u recommend it and wats the pain rating? :P

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I'd definitely recommend one! :) pain is different for everyone so you'll get varying opinions on how painful it is. For me the clamp was the worst part and having to keep my tongue out while I was getting it done but the actual piercing wasnt too bad. The swelling and aftercare is the worst part so be prepared for that. make sure you go to a really good reputable piercer and follow the aftercare strictly. Best if luck if you get it done! I've had mine about 3/4 months and love it! It's one of my favorite piercings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

The swelling would freak me out.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I got mine done about 5 years ago, still have it.
    - Pain was almost nothing, barely as bad as a pinch.
    - The after care is very very important, but quite easy. Rinse with non-alcoholic mouthwash every time you eat.
    - The swelling is enough to make it slightly uncomfortable but no big deal. I managed to hide it from my family for a week, so it's not all that big a deal.
    - Eating will be limited to soup for a couple of days.
    - Just from my own experience: Swap to a bio-plastic piercing as soon as possible. No matter how careful I was I still bit down on it on rare occasions while eating and got minor chips on my molars, the metal head is way too hard. Nowadays I never bit down on it but the last one or two times I did it was little more than uncomfortable because of the plastic head.
    - The longer the bar, the more you can play with it. The shorter the bar, the more comfortable it is and the less likely you are to catch it while eating.

I struggled for ages to pick a colour, settled on white to match my teeth eventually :)

I still really love my piercing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 mf14

tnx 4 advice people :) cnt wait 2 get it now, hopefully i will :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Alv_M

I've been thinking about getting my tongue pierced since december so its obviously not just a phase im going through..i've looked up places and what to expect and everything..tattoo zoo in cork seems to be everyones preferred place...All thats stopping me now is im kinda afraid of the pain when its being done and the pain afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭DylanK

i've got my tongue pierced a month ago, i hardly realize the needle has went through my tongue! on the second day i bled a lot, it is weird since u can taste the blood in ur mouth but it doesnt hurt AT ALL! dont let the thought of pain put u off!

DylanK wrote: »
    i've got my tongue pierced a month ago, i hardly realize the needle has went through my tongue! on the second day i bled a lot, it is weird since u can taste the blood in ur mouth but it doesnt hurt AT ALL! dont let the thought of pain put u off!

They say pains different for everyone tho..Mine might be really sore then compared to yours

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭DylanK

Alv_M wrote: »
    They say pains different for everyone tho..Mine might be really sore then compared to yours

yea i think so too, i never know i could handle pain until i got all my tattoos and piercings done, still i think have zero pain tolerance....... :D

DylanK wrote: »
    yea i think so too, i never know i could handle pain until i got all my tattoos and piercings done, still i think have zero pain tolerance....... :D

Lucky for you..Its something i reli want so i reckon that when i get the chance to do it i will...i think it will b worth the pain :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

Go for it!

I've had mine done for years and years and I love it! The worst for me was thinking about it beforehand. Once you go in, the piercer will get you to stick out your tongue, clamp (with a thing like a tweezers, only with a hole in the middle of it for the needle to go through), and then pierce it super-quickly. The hardest bit is sticking your tongue out, but once you do, it's out of your control and done within half a minute.

You have to be careful with the aftercare, and it is sore - but nothing you can't handle. Like if you've ever given yourself a bad bite to the inside of the mouth - it throbs, but no worse than a headache, and certainly way less painful than a toothache or earache. If you're anything like me, you'll be so thrilled with your new piercing that you won't mind anyway! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭Lillylilly

I have mine done over 11 years now! I love it, it was my first "proper" piercing.

The only thing is to be careful when you eat after it. You would be surprised how much you bite on it. And get the bar changed when your piercer recommends (6-8 weeks after your piercing) so as not to wreck your teeth. The bars they pierce with are longer to accomodate any possible swelling.

Do you know when the needle is going in..is it possible to pull your tongue back in? Like if u burnt your hand of a kettle you'd pull it away instantly.

No, because the piercer will be clamping your tongue so you should be ok.

No, because the piercer will be clamping your tongue so you should be ok.

Thanks :) I was always afraid i would do something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 FunkyOxygen

I'm dying to get it done aswell however:

I'm thinking of getting it done on 3rd of june which is 5 days before i start the junior (have permission , no lectures on age please) And i'm now thinking would it be too much pain to handle? And how long after can you drink? I'm planning on drinking on the 17th exactly 2 weeks is that too early or should i risk it?

Again please no lecturing!

Who do you have permission from, your parents? Most studios won't do it under 18 as it requires a lot of aftercare. I'm not lecturing but just saying that any studio that'll do it under 18 doesn't really have a good rep in my books. It's advisable not to drink while it's healing which takes anywhere from 1-3 months. Pain is different for everyone but for me personally the clamps were worse than the actual piercing and the swelling afterwards was pretty bad. Mine stayed swollen for a little over a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

I remember after my piercing I was told to avoid drinking alcohol, fizzy drinks, spicy food, dairy, smoking and kissing (and other tongue related activities!) for at least two weeks afterwards. I wouldn't mess with aftercare instructions.

And also- DON'T mess with the piercing at all- ever! If you wanna show people, stick out your tongue, don't clink it off your teeth/ catch it between your teeth front teeth. Not only does it look ridiculous, but it really ruins the enamel on your teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭ChopShop

Personally, it was just like a 'twinge' barely realised it was done.

But i periodically got a sore throat for the next two years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 KateeJ

I really wanna get mine done too the day after my leaving cert but i'll be going out that weekend and the following and i'll probably be drinking? I'm going to oxegen after that so i'm guessing i shouldnt get it done before then either?
    How long does it swell for? :)

• Advertisement

Best to get it when you won't be partying and stuff :P It can swell for up to a week afterards sometimes less, sometimes more. If you HAVE to get it done, get it done now a week or so before the exams and the during the exams so it'll have a good 3 weeks to heal a bit.

Thanks for all the replies :) I went and finally got my tongue pierced 6 days ago :D And i Love it..felt a slight pinch when the needle went in but it was grand..have had no other pain aside from that so im delighted!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 deepeedublin

yea, well done you... im sadly too old now, but i think they look amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭TigerIsa

I drank exactly 5 days after mine (what i was told by the piercer would be ok) and I was absolutely perfect.

Not sore at all getting done but sore for the next few days eating and talking. Wouldn't recommend getting it done right before exams or during studying cos it is sore and swollen and might distract you!

KateeJ mine swelled for about 3 days, but it's actually fine you just speak a little lispy and have to eat in a weird way! Drinking is fine 4-5 days after.

DEFINITELY worth it, I'm so happy with mine :)

TigerIsa wrote: »

Not sore at all getting done but sore for the next few days eating and talking. Wouldn't recommend getting it done right before exams or during studying cos it is sore and swollen and might distract you!

I got mine done on the 27th of may..my leaving cert starts the 8th of June and it has made no difference what so ever to me :)

Advertisement