Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fire alarms

• 07-03-2011 11:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭

What do ye do when a fire alarm goes off??

I was in Glasgow a few weeks back at Celtic v Rangers, on the Monday Morning at 9am the fire alarm went off it the hostel.. my friend and I woke up spent about ten minutes deciding would we leave our room or was it serious.. i then asked a member of staff what the issue was and could i go back for my laptop.. he went mad telling to evacuate the building. So a half an hour out side in the rain in my pjs..

I know Tommy Teirnan had a joke about the Irish and Fire alarms but why is it we dont take them seriously??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

Most of the time they're false. Having too many false ones lingers in the mind, so everyone assumes its just another drill, when in all honesty you may burn to death.

It is true, only the Irish want to see the fire to confirm it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I say "ah sure it's nothing" while edging closer to the exit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,107 ✭✭✭amacca

I say a sure its probably nothing

and even if it is

today is a good day to die

(in this ****ty 3star hotel)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Aodan83

Any time I've heard a fire alarm go off there was no actual fire. Maybe we just suck at arson!?

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭blockedPaT

Used to always hope in school there was an actually fire when ever it went off, but was never so lucky :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i take another puff of the smoke and go back to sleep

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

I give out bout the noise and continue on with whatever i was doing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

At least Celtic won the game so every cloud.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭lisa_celtic

kfallon wrote: »
    At least Celtic won the game so every cloud.....

ya but this was a 9am wake up call on a Monday Morning after a days drinking after the game..

ya but this was a 9am wake up call on a Monday Morning after a days drinking after the game..

You went to bed? Lightweight :pac:

Aga Diouf Diouf Diouf he's a big Orange poof.....etc etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Captain Commie

i get a start (i jump very easy), have a quick look around and if no one is moving i stay at my desk and (pretend) to work away

You went to bed? Lightweight :pac:

Aga Diouf Diouf Diouf he's a big Orange poof.....etc etc

Only so much a girl can drink.. also it dosnt help when your not alowd in to the residents bar :(

Only so much a girl can drink.. also it dosnt help when your not alowd in to the residents bar :(

Barred after previous visits? From now on it'll be The Vaults for you for Old Firm games :pac:

Barred after previous visits? From now on it'll be The Vaults for you for Old Firm games :pac:

They didnt like my choice of clothes.. I myself taught that Hi-light Yellow and Black Stripes were fairly stylish that night.. and after me proclaiming anti irish rasism and rangers been ****e as reasons he would not let me in.. I finally dropped off with no voie left fter a days singing "I just cant get enough" wke up with no voice for the next 2days which would of made it hard for me to scream in the fire!

Ah the bumblebee kit, I am sporting that fine garment myself tonight!

As for the fire alarm, no way would I have moved until I heard people screaming and even if I did hear them screaming I'd prob have just roared at them to 'stfu'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

You can't do anything but leave with the fire alarms they have in the office. Would blast the bloody ears off you and they seem to like testing them very regularly too :mad:

Incidentally, the only time I witnessed a major fire, the fire alarms didn't even work in the place! A pub, nightclub, restaurant and seventeen odd apartments on the five floors above in an apartment complex in Gran Canaria destroyed at about 1am and not a blip out of the alarms.

Ah the bumblebee kit, I am sporting that fine garment myself tonight!

As for the fire alarm, no way would I have moved until I heard people screaming and even if I did hear them screaming I'd prob have just roared at them to 'stfu'

Stylish eh :)

I couldnt roar no voice.. ha i'd say there breakfast was never as busy as that morning!!

The reason the alarm went off was prob sausages being burnt, mightn't have been a bad thing you missed it :p

The snot coloured jersey is manky tho

The reason the alarm went off was prob sausages being burnt, mightn't have been a bad thing you missed it :p

The snot coloured jersey is manky tho

Would not be seen dead init!! ha.. someone will move this thread to fashion if we keep talking jerseys hehe.. The old bumblebee from the 90s was the best ever away :)

The old bumblebee from the 90s was the best ever away :)

And the greatest ever player to wear it (can't find the Aberdeen goal)

• Advertisement

And the greatest ever player to wear it (can't find the Aberdeen goal)

it was my first jersey.. started the love affair with Celtic :)

Also would be handy in the ase of an actual fire.. Id be seen not heard :P

Centenary jersey, 1988 was me first one!

I reckon the bumblebee one has prob saved me life a couple of times when walking home locked from the pub :P

Centenary jersey, 1988 was me first one!

I reckon the bumblebee one has prob saved me life a couple of times when walking home locked from the pub :P

I was only 1 for the centenary lovely jersey though :)

I was only 1 for the centenary lovely jersey though :)

Now I feel old :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Gneez

It's always going off in my building, I just run down to the switch box in my underpants and switch it off and if I don't smell any burning flesh or see smoke in the meantime then I don't care, it's usually the paki or other allah akbar crowd burning some desert food in their flats or whatever it is they eat.

Mod note: user banned for this post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

The fire alarms went of in college last year and everyone in the computer room just stayed there, typing away. Eventually the woman from the next office came in and kicked us out.
    "Eh, hello? Fire Alarm!" :p

Took 14min to evacuate the building though :S worrying thought!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭karlog

Smelling smoke and seeing flames is the only alarm that people will take seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

A friend of mine worked in a hotel a few years ago in London. If there was a wedding on that day, they would set off the fire alarm at 7am as a "fire drill".

By doing so, they would get everyone up early - most of whom wouldn't go back to bed - so the breakfasts would be over on time & the rooms cleaned and beds changed before the wedding party arrived later that day.

Apparently a lot of hotels do this as standard practice.

Wouldn't work with me. I wouldn't wake up even if my feet were on fire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

I had a fire alarm go off while staying at a hotel in cork last year. Myself and the missus had had quite a few drinks and headed to bed. At 4 am we were awoken to an on-again-off-again fire alarm for about 2 minutes, followed by a recorded voice telling us to evacuate. I was suprised at our reaction, it took a while to wake up and realise what was going on, and when we did we had a pretty calm discussion over whether to leave or not, and if we were leaving, would we take our stuff. Turned out to be a false alarm.

I did learn the next day though that the on-again-off-again fire alarm actually means prepare to evacuate, and the full on alarm means leave now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭Balfie

was in a shopping centre with an ex one day an a fire alarm went off... i asked her did someone open her purse to make that horrible racket.. She wasn't too happy :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

When I was in school the fire alarm was constantly going off from people burning toast, the teacher'd just shout over the fire alarm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

When I was in primary school, our principal set the fire alarm off once by putting jam on bread before putting it in the toaster. He wasn't the cleverest fella.

I've been in hotels twice when the fire alarm went off. Once, it was only a very small hotel but there actually was a small fire. The owner came along with a fire extinguisher and we all went back to sleep. The other time, it was a drill/false alarm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

It is completely true about Irish people and fire alrms, especially when it comes to drinking. The club I used to work in constantly had the fire alarm going off due to DJ riding the smoke machine controller and people never gave it a blind bit of notice.

Another time, an electrified sign on the outside of the building went on fire due to heavy rain. We had to evacuate because I had to cut the power and we still literally had to drag people out, kicking and screaming, although fair enough, the alarm itself wasn't going off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Gneez wrote: »
    It's always going off in my building, I just run down to the switch box in my underpants and switch it off and if I don't smell any burning flesh or see smoke in the meantime then I don't care, it's usually the paki or other allah akbar crowd burning some desert food in their flats or whatever it is they eat.
    Why is the switch in your underpants?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

op you sound like a wonderful person, do keep going...

All the fire drills we had in work were a joke... Everyone finish what they're doing and walk out chatting.

I think real fire alarms should have a "this isn't a joke, get the fuk out or you will die" message.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

It's not just an Irish thing - it's a human thing.
    We tend not to believe the alarm until there is evidence of smoke or fire.
    Most people don't have an appreciation of how quickly a fire can spread, their only direct frame of reference would be the small open hearth or bonfire.
    Dynamics of fire and heat spread within a closed building are not something that most people see (and survive), unless you are in the fire service.

It is unbelievable how disorientated you can get in a smoke filled room. It's not like the films with grey wispy smoke you can see through and combat by holding a hanky over your mouth, it's thick black chocking smoke, you cannot see your hand in front of your face, the smoke is hot, hot enough to blister skin. Very few people burn to death, they are already dead from smoke inhalation before the flames reach them.

So top tips:
    1) If you hear a fire alarm, treat it as real until it is confirmed false.
    2) Never stay above the 7th floor of a hotel - rescue ladders cant reach much higher that that
    3) Always check to see where the nearest emergency exit is, what ever venue you find yourself in. Most people try to get out they way they came in.
    This is why piles of bodies are found at main exits after a serious fire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

I work in the airport and even there the alarms aren't taken remotely seriously. I use it as a great excuse to get up and stretch the legs though :D

Remember I was in Paris with friends once, staying in a crappy guesthouse in Montmarte. Woke up one morning to smoke coming in our window... Went out onto the balcony and looked outside and there was a load of smoke and crowds of people standing around outside the building. Turns out the building right next to us was burning down and not a peep from an alarm or the people working in the guesthouse. Odd! Left for my brekkie fairly sharpish then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Johnny Bitte

Where I work it's crazy! For a drill they set off the alarm and stop it then set it off again to signal it's a drill! It went off for real twice since I ve been there and both times people sat at there desks ignoring it until a few minutes had passed! ****ing insane!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Was at a wedding onetime where some drunken twat* decided it was a great idea to keep setting off the fire alarm. Eventually the bouncers found him chucked him out and had the cops come and arrest him for trying to break back in.

Meanwhile the entire hotel gets repeatedly evacuated except for the wedding party who assume (quite reasonably) that the noise was part of the shyte music the DJ was playing at about 600 decibels.

* Even the most Far left, Amnesty international, Legalise everything, Indymedia, Anarchist type would have been perfectly okay with a spot of police brutality being dished out on the gobshyte in question (everyone else would turn a blind eye to the DJ getting a few slaps too)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

In college, ignore it until it rings non-stop, then walk outside with all my stuff. At work, check a box to see where the fire is, go check it out, ring the alarm company to tell them it's a false alarm and cancel the fire brigade.

Death by fire is seeming likely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Sitting in work and the fire alarm starts to go off, not one person got up or did anything to find out what was going on, I realise I'm guilty of this too. Turned out it was just a bin catching fire in the smoking area(:rolleyes:).

I've noticed this in other places too, alarm goes off, nothing happens. Do people need visable signs of fire to start doing anything? Is it better to look a bit silly getting up and out over a false alarm or to possibly become trapped as a result of not heading the warning? I'd be the type of person that'd need visable signs or be warned by others that there is actually a fire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭u140acro3xs7dm

If an alarm goes off and I am in work i am straight out the door. Take my time coming back in too. If i am in a pub i would have to be dragged out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

Today ground hogs day or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Merged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Haha, sorry about that. I didn't see the thread set up yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

Pyr0 wrote: »
    Sitting in work and the fire alarm starts to go off, ........... Turned out it was just a bin catching fire in the smoking area(:rolleyes:).

Username Pyr0 and bins on fire, Hmmmm.
    Just don't tell anyone at work your boards username. :pac:

Advertisement