Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

audio/sensory/video monitors?

Options
  • 07-03-2011 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭

hi, was wondering has anyone any experience of the different types of baby monitors. I was had wanted a video monitor but was shopping for baby things and the shop assistant said video monitors aren't as good as sensory monitors because they dont detect movement..phone,radio and internet interfer with them and the picture isnt as good as you would imagine. Is this true? I liked the sound of sensory monitors too though as you put the detection pad under the mattress and it detects movement so it sounds great. I'm just not sure though so any info or experience with monitors and opinion's on different types would be great because i'm lost! Thanks :-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

We used a sensor monitor and found it very reassuring as it flashed every time the little lady breathed, and as a very nervous first time mother it was great. It did beep a few times which was head wrecking, but it turned out that the sensor mat had moved to the edge of the crib and she had wriggled to the other edge of the crib and it just wasn't picking up her breathing movements. Saying that, babies are sporadic breathers and it wouldn't be unusual for babies to have long breaks between breaths!

I have seen the videao monitors and would agree that the picture quality is poor and the screen is only tiny. We have a Y-Cam set up in the nursery over the cot and it is brilliant! It is wireless and it can be accessed from anywhere. If she wakes during the night I can access the Y-Cam from my hone and see if she is crying in her sleep or if she needs me to go to her. You can set it to send emails if it detects movement (I suppose they are often used as security cameras) and the picture quality, even in the dark is excellent. They are a bit pricey but I would highly recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭qwertytlk

crazy cat lady: thanks, thats good to know. Think i'l go for sensory one.. Wat is the y-cam, i dont think i'v heard of them? Does it have a monitor for you to look at or is it hooked up to your tv or laptop? Thanks :-)

The Y-Cam is woreless so you access it via the internet or wireless network if you have one. We can view it on our phones, from laptops/netbooks anywhere with a password etc.. We have a mini pc connected to the Tv so can see her on the TV too.

http://www.y-cam.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭newmammy2011

We've also bought one of the sensor mat monitors.
    A friend of mine had one of the video monitors but I didnt think the picture quality was great on it.
    The tommee tippee sensor mat is almost half price in smyths at the moment.

Newmammy2011; thanks thats great news!! i was looking at the Angelcare one yesterday but it was 99euro!! how much is the tommee tippee one then? i presume you find it good?? do smyths sell alot of baby gear, i still have to get my bath & bath set, changing mat, cot set and mobile for cot. Aswell as all the clothes, baby gro's etc. Do you know anywhere good to get bath & bath set, cot set/ mobile? Let me know as im seriously clueless!!! Thanks :) Congrats on being a new mammy this year by the way :D

• Advertisement

TK Maxx is always great for a bargain! We got our sensor mat monitor thing from there and I think it was 80 Euro. They usually have cot mattresses and bedding and all sorts of things that you wouldn't even think of looking in there for!

Don't go mad buying lots of baby clothes as you will recieve SO much in gifts. Just have a few essentials ready, and remember that tiny babies grow incredibly fast. You'll find that he or she has grown out of the newborn clothes in a matter of weeks

thanks, never thought of tk maxx!! im not going to get alot of clothes, maybe 4 outfits..thats not too much is it?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭newmammy2011

Hi there,
    I havent used the sensor mat yet...babas not due for another few weeks, but have checked the signal on it and it was perfect. Also my sister in law had one of them and she receommended it to us.
    It has 49.99 on the smyths website but I checked my receipt and it was 42.50 when I bought it a few weeks ago.
    We also bought cots/matresses/bedding in there. The bedding had one price on them but then was cheaper when we got to the till. We got 4 flat cot sheets for €11.99.
    I bought a bath in mothercare, it was an inflatable one. Have looked after a fair few kids and found these great. Bought one for my sis and sis in law when they had babies and they found them great also.
    Bought a fair few bits in Tesco also, bottles, towels etc!
    Congrats to you too!!!!

Advertisement