Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Be Honest

• 07-03-2011 11:26pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭

What would you do if you stumbled across someone's diary? Would you be tempted to read it? Would you put it straight back? Would you write your own entry and await their reaction with glee?

Go on, AHers. How much of an asshole are you? :P

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Who is this someone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

If everybody respected the privacy of other people's diaries Anne Frank wouldn't have become such an International Superstar :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭johnn

i would make my own liquid entry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

i stumbled across J2D2's diary while clearing out his room, i picked the lock and read it!

i'm not going to lie about it....

.if you are reading my posts like you usually do....sorry!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Depends on who owned it.
    If it was a stranger's that i found i might read it. Someone very close to me probably not. Anyone else i'd probably have a quick skim through it..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Diary? who keeps them?

If I was on a mates/girlfriends PC and I could get access to their email account or boards account. Would I? No ,cos I don't care.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Who is this someone?

Anyone at all. Partner, sibling, parent, friend etc etc. Say you're helping someone close move house and you find the diary. What now?

Actually, how would your reaction differ depending on the person? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Dr_Phil

No i wouldnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭blockedPaT

Depending whos it was i would read it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

no fookin way

• Advertisement

I'd be too afraid to see what they actually think of me (if it's someone I know) even tho they prob think I'm a wanker :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Truth be told , I wouldn't be interested .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Anyone at all. Partner, sibling, parent, friend etc etc. Say you're helping someone close move house and you find the diary. What now?

Actually, how would your reaction differ depending on the person? :P

I don't think I'd be arsed reading the diary of a random person and I don't think I would read the diary of anyone close to me.
    Diaries are weird all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i'd stick the pages together with managlyptia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Redlion

What would you do if you stumbled across someone's diary? Would you be tempted to read it? Would you put it straight back? Would you write your own entry and await their reaction with glee?

It's bad enough reading their diary and defacing it. Don't make them watch Glee as well. That's just cruel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

I'd add something a week or two on. Something like this (assuming Sarah is her name...)

"Hey Sarah. Your diary here. I used to prefer that biro you used last January. It was much softer on my skin. That new fountain pen is really tearing me a new one."

I'd have a sneaky look a few weeks later to see if she swapped pens again. I'd take photos of my findings.

^ What, make her think she's got Tom Riddle's diary or something? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Found my best mates journal years back. Read the whole thing. Knowledge is power.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

well tbh i wouldnt read it, i would be tempted obviously, but once you read something and find out something you really didnt want to know then you cant unread it and its your own fault for sneaking around and reading it.

candy-gal1 wrote: »
    well tbh i wouldnt read it, i would be tempted obviously, but once you read something and find out something you really didnt want to know then you cant unread it and its your own fault for sneaking around and reading it.

They'll just be writing entries giving out about you, "She spent the whole night munching sweets during the soaps....AGAIN!"

• Advertisement

kfallon wrote: »
    They'll just be writing entries giving out about you, "She spent the whole night munching sweets during the soaps....AGAIN!"

does anyone over the age of 12 write a diary though??? :eek:

Yep, it probably helps some people clear their minds when they write down their feelings and thoughts.

Redlion wrote: »
    Yep, it probably helps some people clear their minds when they right down their feelings and thoughts.

but there is the personal issues forum for that?!? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Numb.Muzik

Draw willies all over it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Cheap Thrills!

To be completely honest I probably wouldn't read it.

I don't like knowing peoples innermost thoughts. My Mother died last year and left lots of Diarys and I haven't read those and don't think I will.

When you snoop you might find things that will hurt you. So, no I wouldn't do it without very good reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Like pen pals , they are nearly extinct but Blogs be around for some time to come :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

I keep journals/diaries - but not with any regularity. They could be five days/months/years between entries. I do have one from when I was 17, and then none to 23/4, and so on. I have few journals around the place.

What happens is that I see this really pretty diary/books - oh look I'll write in that everyday - and then disappears and never seen again for 10 years.

So anyway I found a journal online - and it emails you everyday for your entry - and you reply to it. Three days down with it so far :rolleyes::rolleyes: Email might work better to do it.

Would I read someones diary - I would glance whilst putting it down. I am not that interested in the ins & outs of peoples lifes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

Flourescence, give us your answer too :P would you?

but there is the personal issues forum for that?!? :)
    Sounds like an advertisement for Boards :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭StereoLove

I'd read it.

Flourescence, give us your answer too :P would you?

:D I'd be highly tempted. And truth be told I did once sneek a peek at my 8 year old cousin's one :P. I would probably consider how violated I would feel if someone read mine though, and put it away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

When I was 12 and shared a bedroom with my sister, I read her diary one night. I only read an excerpt and was so full of guilt for weeks. I ended up confessing to her. I felt so bad about that. She was a year older and it was just kid stuff but I'll never forget confessing to her and feeling so damn awful.

So, no way would I ever do it again to anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

:D I'd be highly tempted. And truth be told I did once sneek a peek at my 8 year old cousin's one :P. I would probably consider how violated I would feel if someone read mine though, and put it away.

I know not to ask you to help me move house in the future then :p Not that I even have a diary but still!

I'd only consider reading it if the person had been acting really out of character and I was really worried about them. But even then I'd probably try broaching the subject with them first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭strokemyclover

The diary of an interesting person would be too well kept under lock and key for it to be accessible to read - for everyone else, there's Twitter and Facebook!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Ditch

If it were a non related, physically attractive females? I'd slip a photograph of my own, erect penis inside the next days page. And probably get off on the fantasy of her reaction for the rest of my life :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

In theory, hell naw I wouldnt read it. I have upstanding morals etc etc.

In practice totally depends who it was.
    Best friends=no way.
    Boyfriend=I don't need to-I know it'll just be a confession that he's gay, him owning one is already proof.
    Aquaintances=couldnt be bothered, unless something interesting had happened between us recently, then I might peek.
    Randomers=probably have a flick through to realise that every is equally as boring. If interesting, I'd call Gill&MacMillan and cash in on that shiz.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

Wouldn't have time to read it with all the mickeys i'd be drawing in it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

No, wouldn't read it. Honestly - except for the first page in hope to find a name and address to see it returned to the person direct.
    (Old fashioned and boring sod I am)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭chicken fingers

I wouldnt give a crap unless it was an old ex girlfriend, and even then probably wouldnt care enough to bother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

In the last house I was renting with some friends we came across a 10 year old diary with no name on it, decided we'd give it a little look through. Stuff in there was crazier than desperate housewives, great entertainment!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭phill106

I think anyone interesting enough to have a diary that would make me want to read it, wouldn't have a diary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

I would have to put it back.

Some things are just not worth knowing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

derfderf wrote: »
    Wouldn't have time to read it with all the mickeys i'd be drawing in it.

with spunk droplets coming\cumming out of them of course

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Diary? who keeps them?

If I was on a mates/girlfriends PC and I could get access to their email account or boards account. Would I? No ,cos I don't care.

damn you Micky! :mad: I keep thinking you're other people!

I would read it. definitely. if it was a strangers I wouldn't expect much, and if it belonged to someone I know if it got to anything too private I'd stop. but yeah who keeps diaries anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Would depend on how bored i was, though i can't imagine ever being bored enough to read a diary! I wonder how many people actually keep them, i personaly just can not see the point of them, anything worth remembering, i just remember!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

No, mainly because I don't give a toss about anyone else's life but also because it's not nice.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Nope, because it's not my business. Ditto for people's PC's, phones etc. I really can't abide people who look through other people's private things.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Eever

I would, and I have done. I know it's awful and I'd never look through anyones phone or emails or anything like that but with a diary it really depends on the person. I have come across a friends diary before and I didn't touch it, probably cos I was younger at the time and may have been keeping a diary myself so I felt strongly about the privacy of it.

But I went on a family holiday when I was fourteen with my sixteen year old brother and our parents. My brother was so angry at being made come on holidays with us (he was so very full of angst) that he used to sit there glaring at us all day furiously scribbling away in his diary. How could I possibly resist reading it? It was literally the funniest thing I have ever read and if I'm going to hell, it was worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

I'd like to say I wouldn't, but I so would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Wouldnt go near it. Its like reading someones texts/emails. Its none of your business.

• Advertisement
Advertisement