Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

JUDO - Dan gradings update

• 07-03-2011 11:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭

Just a heads up for anyone aiming to fight for the blue, brown or black belts with the Irish Judo Association.

The March 26th date has been amended and pushed back to April 9th.

Same location - National Judo Training Center in Finglas.

Details are on the IJA website.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭Pingu

Saw that alright, they swapped dates with the Galway Open.

Bit of a joke changing the dates of the Galway Open less than 3 weeks out, makes a balls of planning for events.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Pingu wrote: »
    Saw that alright, they swapped dates with the Galway Open.

Bit of a joke changing the dates of the Galway Open less than 3 weeks out, makes a balls of planning for events.

I was delighted.

I'm nursing a wopper of a virus the last two weeks.

I'm weak as a puppy dog and hoping I might fit in two or three weeks training in prep for it.

I'll be eaten alive, but I might take a few points away with a little luck.

i'm ragin, was all geared up for coming back at the Galway Open in April, warm up for the NI Open the following week, but with the date move I cant make it due to prior commitments, so straight into the NI Open with no warm up tournament - wonderful!

Pingu wrote: »
    i'm ragin, was all geared up for coming back at the Galway Open in April, warm up for the NI Open the following week, but with the date move I cant make it due to prior commitments, so straight into the NI Open with no warm up tournament - wonderful!

Can I take points from the N.I. Open?.

I'm not sure, I know it counts for points for the national rankings but i'm not sure on gradings. Pissed off will be missing out on ranking points from the Galway Open now too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭just-joe

Good luck with all those moving towards dan grades!

I was wondering, what the standard/turn out has been like recently for the dan gradings? Are the fights divided by weights?

I have never been to a dan grading in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Kimura

Can I take points from the N.I. Open?.

Yes Jaliyah Vast Lacquer, You can get points from this comp. I got points from this years ago, to go towards my 2nd Dan.

Kimura wrote: »
    Yes Makikomi, You can get points from this comp. I got points from this years ago, to go towards my 2nd Dan.

Cheers.

At this point in time I'm not sure how much I'll be up to.

Came down with what I thought was a flu almost 3 weeks ago, and in that time I've barely been out of bed. My weight is dropping at an alarming rate.

I can barely stand without falling.

I have a hospital appointment tomorrow so hopefully the medics can get me on the road to recovery.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭KeithReilly

How are you graded in judo?
    Do you have to gain a certain amount of points from competitions and are you awarded these?
    Do you have to actually win or is it successful throws etc?

What has a beginner to learn and how hard is it to learn outside of scheduled classes without a partner to practice with?

How long between gradings and how is it decided your fit to go forward for gradings in first place?

How are you graded in judo?

Do you have to gain a certain amount of points from competitions and are you awarded these?

Do you have to actually win or is it successful throws etc?

I'll answer these three first..

Your graded from white to green belt in your club, at these grades your just tested on your knowledge of the syllabus and your not required to fight.

After green you fight for your blue, brown and black belts.. For blue and brown you have four fights of which you must win two.

For your blackbelt you must win 100 points through winning in competition, this doesn't have to be done on the one day.. ie you can carry points from competition to competition.. If your under 35 you can carry your points over into another year, under that age and you lose your points at the end of the year and must start your account again.
    Do you have to actually win

A short answer to all the above is, you have to win fights from blue to black.

What has a beginner to learn and how hard is it to learn outside of scheduled classes without a partner to practice with?

A Beginner should start by learning to break fall, and the fundamentals of Judo - ie breaking balance, more break falls (sorry I'm hanging after being out with the Wife and mother for mothers day yesterday - 7 weeks off the gargle gone!) etc.
    You can't learn Judo without a partner..
    How long between gradings and how is it decided your fit to go forward for gradings in first place?

That really depends on the club, and how fast you learn your Judo.

If your interested I'll up load a black belt fight from the weekend and a blue belt fight - both were gradings for the respective belts.

Here's a blue belt grading from this weekend..

I'll upload the black belt fight later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Gorey_R

For your blackbelt you must win 100 points through winning in competition, this doesn't have to be done on the one day.. ie you can carry points from competition to competition.. If your under 35 you can carry your points over into another year, under that age and you lose your points at the end of the year and must start your account again.

I'll upload the black belt fight later.

Is that Batsukan thing not in effect anymore. That was way handier!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

If your under 35 you can carry your points over into another year, under that age and you lose your points at the end of the year and must start your account again
    :confused: Do you mean over 35 can carry the points and under 35 can't?

Gorey_R wrote: »
    Is that Batsukan thing not in effect anymore. That was way handier!

Sorry, I mean't to cover that one.. for your black belt if you win five straight fights by ippon (full point) you don't need the remaining points - then you move onto the theory tests.
    Unpossible wrote: »
    :confused: Do you mean over 35 can carry the points and under 35 can't?

Yes, it takes into account that old farts like me have a life outside of Judo.. And tbh, its a tough sport and takes its toll the older you get so this goes some way to level the playing field I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Kimura

I'll answer these three first..

After green you fight for your blue, brown and black belts.. For blue and brown you have four fights of which you must win two.

Also You must win by Ippon or Wazari anything below this is a win, but will not count towards your grading.

I think now you get 6 fights on the day for a 1st Dan. Winning by Ippon is 10 points, Winning by Wazari is 7 points. Winning 5 in a row is batsugun.
    You are also tested on theory, Throws, holddowns, etc and Kata's

Thanks for all the replies.

Now I've a few more questions, I hope they don;t come across as childess. I'm very goal orintated and need short and long term goals to keep me motivated.

Are there many belts between beginner and black?

What is the time frame between them?

Does it get longer between gradings the higher you get?

Is there any sort of training that you can do that will improve you if you haven't got a training partner after you have learnt the basics that you mentoned and you have moved up the ranks?

I see there are two different organisations in Ireland, do the way people are graded differ or is there the same slyabus regardless?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

This is the official requirements for ranking in the IJA. Unfortunately it's all in judo-speak, so you'll have to do a bit of googeling to make sense. http://www.irishjudoassociation.ie/downloads/technical-documents/doc_download/136-kyu-grading-syllabus

As to the two different organisations, that's a bit of a touchy subject, but long story short the IJA is the main one.

Thanks for all the replies.

Now I've a few more questions, I hope they don;t come across as childess. I'm very goal orintated and need short and long term goals to keep me motivated.

All good, and don't worry about asking questions.
    Are there many belts between beginner and black?

White, Yellow, Orange, Green, Blue, Brown - Black.
    What is the time frame between them?

Depends on you and your club - you'd really have to get yourself into a club and find out.
    Does it get longer between gradings the higher you get?

I could split that into two answers - yes and no.. (again you should be in a club to better judge this one yourself). As with most styles the longer your in the more commitment it takes to progress.. At the start two nights a week will suffice (just) when you hit your blue you should really be considering stepping up your training in preparation for your brown belt.. You should be attending training a little more and broadening your knowledge of Judo.

When your on your brown your motivation should/will have to be really high and totally focused on learning Judo, improving your stamina/fitness and getting as much mat time in as you can..

A lot will give up before or at their blue belts, some will hang out in the brown belt grave yard for a long time - the more motivated will go steaming ahead.

So between blue and black the ball is really in your court as all your gradings will be out of the hands of your club.
    Is there any sort of training that you can do that will improve you if you haven't got a training partner after you have learnt the basics that you mentoned and you have moved up the ranks?

This sounds more like "is there a short cut to black".. Yes there is a lot of training you can, and should be doing outside of your club - but you can only do Judo on Judo mats (try get thrown onto a hardened surface), and against a partner.
    I see there are two different organisations in Ireland, do the way people are graded differ or is there the same slyabus regardless?

I know one lad who said he graded to brown with one organisation in a year - frankly I was embarrassed for Judo - it wasn't the IJA.

Thanks again for the replies.

No I wasn't wondering was there a short cut to black but rather how would you train to improve yourself at the sport if you had no training partner outset scheduled training.

I'm thinking of other martial arts where you could practice striking on a punch bag or pads.

Maybe weights to improve strenght? I believe its a technique based sport but I'm sure the stronger you are the better?

Maybe something to improve stamina? The sport looks very anareobic in nature so maybe short intense intervals rather than long stamina runs?

No I wasn't wondering was there a short cut to black but rather how would you train to improve yourself at the sport if you had no training partner outset scheduled training.

I'm thinking of other martial arts where you could practice striking on a punch bag or pads.

Maybe weights to improve strenght? I believe its a technique based sport but I'm sure the stronger you are the better?

Maybe something to improve stamina? The sport looks very anareobic in nature so maybe short intense intervals rather than long stamina runs?

There are lots of things to improve both your judo and yourself outside of the club.. Gym work, exercising in the fresh air - swimming is fantastic for Judo.

If your really dedicated, and a little mad (Judo will drive you a little mad) you can practice 'uchikomi' with elastic bands in your house, garden or park.

I do a lot of foot sweeps, and here's where Judo drives you mad - if you see someone sweeping at lamp posts, poles (as opposed to Poles :p ), car tyres etc - its probably me practicing my foot sweeps (Ashiwaza) :) .

Btw, if your in Dublin and able to make a northside club I'd be delighted to meet you and introduce you to Judo - any club will have us for a visit..

Here's another positive with training Judo - you can train in any club affiliated to the IJA, your not stuck with the one club.. In fact its encouraged so your getting as much mat time as you can.

I'd regularly train in Portmarnock, Daigokan (Donnycarney), and Coolmine.

I also train BJJ with the guys in Rush Fight Academy and with Andy Ryan out in the equally brilliant BJJ Revolution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

Weight training was a big help for me at least. When I first started out a combination low strength and no skill meant that not only was I not able to do anything, I was getting injured all the time trying to awkwardly throw guys who were much heavier than me. It wasn't until I started doing a bit of strength training that I made any progress.

As for stamina training, short interval stuff is definitely better. Also doing circuits with weights for time is good as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Hopefully I'll be back on the Mats for Sept.

Alot of beginners when they come in first concentrate alot on building up their strength. While this is benficial it can also be a hinderence in development as you attempt to compensate alot on strength as opposed to technique.

Don't get me wrong strength, and strength endurance work is very important. But other elements such as balance work, agility & mobility work should be included as early as possible. Albeit in conjunction with the strength work. Also on the strength work: grips, glutes and hamstrings are very important for judo and often over looked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

I know one lad who said he graded to brown with one organisation in a year - frankly I was embarrassed for Judo - it wasn't the IJA.

I'm not so sure thats impossible. My instructor went from beginner to first dan in a little over two years with the IJA, and I've been told of another judoka who managed to do it even quicker. I don't like putting names on a public forum.

I'm acquainted with a few Judo Ireland guys, and I've heard good things about their level of training.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭HammerHeadGym

...Here's a blue belt grading from this weekend...

Did he get it?

Did he get it?

Oh, sorry. Yes he got it.

Advertisement