Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accommodation options for Melbourne?

Options
  • 07-03-2011 11:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭

I'm landing there end of March and starting work a few days after I land, which makes things a bit tricky.

Hotels are pretty expense and Backpacker places don't really appear to me. Mid 30's now like my space :) I'm literally gone twisty eyed reading ads on gumtree for house/appartment shares.

I've two weeks to sort it out, what would people recommend?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

messymess wrote: »
    I'm landing there end of March and starting work a few days after I land, which makes things a bit tricky.

Hotels are pretty expense and Backpacker places don't really appear to me. Mid 30's now like my space :) I'm literally gone twisty eyed reading ads on gumtree for house/appartment shares.

Either get a private room in a hostel (not all are crazy backpacker party places) or suck it up and
    a) pay for a hotel
    b) dorm share in hostel till you find somewhere
    c) couch surf

I wouldn't rent a room (in a house) until you at least seen it and meet the housemates. (unless it is like a boarding house etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Try Claremont guest house in south yarra. Got a private room in there for two weeks the same price as dorms. Only downside is there is only microwave to cook with. Then arrange loads of inspections for one of the days before you start work

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

Slunk wrote: »
    Try Claremont guest house in south yarra. Got a private room in there for two weeks the same price as dorms. Only downside is there is only microwave to cook with. Then arrange loads of inspections for one of the days before you start work

+1. Good location too, a minutes walk from South Yarra station and tram stops.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭nellyshark

When I was looking for places to stay in Melbourne I placed a Wanted ad on gumtree and got quite a number of replies, varying from 115pw to 250pw while also checking out ads on gumtree.

Perhaps place a wanted ad outlining your criteria and hopefully you will get some replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

messymess wrote: »

If it was me I'd just book a hostel for a week or so and just then start scouting possible apartments to rent which are in close proximity to your job.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Plood

Hi, heading over myself in April. Is gumtree the main site for finding rental accommodation? any areas you'd recommend? the prices I'm seeing seem quite expensive..

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭messymess

Actually, on gumtree ... you need an ozzy mobile to sign-up, tried lastnight but won't let me.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Paige Turner

Would recommend claremount also. Stayed there for 10 days in Feb and it was really nice. $58 per night for a double private room, with breakfast included. They do a weekly rate also on www.not1night.com.au.
    It's a nice location and only about 15 min on tram to melbourne central.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Would recommend claremount also. Stayed there for 10 days in Feb and it was really nice. $58 per night for a double private room, with breakfast included. They do a weekly rate also on www.not1night.com.au.
    It's a nice location and only about 15 min on tram to melbourne central.

Probably seen you at breakfast if it was nearer the end of Feb :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Smithy11

If you are there for 12 months or longer you will find accomodation easier. Its alot harder finding short term leases. A lot of accomodation is through estate agents unless you are just renting a room. Try www.domain.com.au

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭TKline

Smithy11 wrote: »
    If you are there for 12 months or longer you will find accomodation easier. Its alot harder finding short term leases. A lot of accomodation is through estate agents unless you are just renting a room. Try www.domain.com.au

You'll also find heaps of housing & accommodation type links on the links page of AustralianPropertyForum.com.....

Australian Property Forum Links Page

All consolidated and in one place!

Tom.

Advertisement