Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work experience as part of application to GEM in UK?

Options
  • 07-03-2011 11:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭

Hi there! How would I go about getting work experience in order to apply to UK universities for their GEM programs? Any boardsies here that were successful in applying to the UK universities?

Any and all advice appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭spagboll

My application profile from last year was

Swansea Rejected
    Keele Rejected
    Notts Interview Rejected
    SGU Wait List, I then rejected them, take that UK GEM

I had no work experience as part of application. It is extremely important!

I had some work experience after I submitted my application which was not considered.

The first thing to do is contact any docs, nurses, physios etc that you know and ask them.

Join the Red Cross, Knights of Malta or the Medics in the Army Reserve (i.e. the FCA)

Email some consultants and GPs directly and tell them your story, you can get email address on hospital or university websites, don't email some HR department in the HSE and sit an wait, people do that and it's a waste of time

Contact the Ambulance people or Dublin Fire brigade and do so some short shadowing, this isn't enough on it's own but could take up a valuable 1 minute of talking time in the interview.....and it'll be a great experience

Also hospices are always looking for volunteers

Some of the UK GEM programs are pants, some are the best in the world, do your research

and I think you'll have to pay fees now??

Best of Luck

Advertisement