Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pancakes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭settings

I always use this recipe for crepes:
    http://www.famousfrenchdesserts.com/french-crepe-recipes.html

maple syrrup and ice cream or lemon and sugar for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

for sweet it has to be lemon and sugar. Although I would like to try crepe suzette(sp) but I always kinda think of pancakes as simple so can never be bothered to put the effort in for anything too extravagant.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Here's a recipe for people looking for something extra-dextra special!

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/pastry-cake/pancake-cake

Dunno about the 12 servings with lefotvers though :pac:

por_4212.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

12!! More like 2 :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

I always have salt and pepper on my pancakes, can't bear sweet pancake.

I remember when my boyfriend made me pancakes for the first time and realised I only put salt and pepper on mine, he couldn't believe it. I don't think I've ever seen anyone look as shocked. :D:o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Seomra Mushie

I'm a classic girl all the way - only fresh lemon juice and sugar will do! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

Im looking to make pancakes but have no idea how to make the batter or what ingredients I need.
    Anyone care to share some recipes with me please?

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭rich.d.berry

Im looking to make pancakes but have no idea how to make the batter or what ingredients I need.

Here is an easy, crepe style, pancake recipe.

250 gr plain flour sifted into a bowl with 1/2 teaspoon (2.5ml) of salt and 1 teaspoon (5 ml) of sodium bicarbonate (baking soda).

Make a well in the flour and crack in 2 medium eggs and pour in 200ml of milk. Whisk briskly until smooth then gradually add another 350 ml of milk while whisking.

Cover the bowl and leave to stand for at least 2 hours.

10 Minutes before cooking give the batter a brief whisk.

Makes 10-12.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

1 cup (approx 100g plain flour)
    1 egg
    Enough milk to get it to a thick cream consistency.

Mix everything together (ideally make a day in advance). Heat a pan to very hot, throw in a knob of butter, ladle in your batter, swirling pan to spread it out. When the bottom unsticks from the pan it can be flipped.

1) watch them, they burn easily
    2) the first one is always rubbish, it's just there for you to tweak batter/heat

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭amklo

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but noticed last years thread was merged with prior years. I'm getting a bit excited about pancake Tuesday! Pancakes made with proper homemade batter are one thing I can never seem to get right...suppose I should try more than once a year! Going to practice a few for breakfast tomorrow so I'm all prepared for Tuesday night. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

Oh i can't wait for tuesday! my favourite food day of the year. i'm skipping dinner and having pancakes instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

Is it Pancake Tuesday next week:O

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

GalwayGuy2 wrote: »
    Is it Pancake Tuesday next week:O
    Sho is.

Don't think I had any pancakes on the last two Shrove Tuesdays though. I really should make up for that this year! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

You lot do know you can have pancakes any damn day you want to?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Morag wrote: »
    You lot do know you can have pancakes any damn day you to?
    Yes, but I can only justify having pancakes for breakfast, lunch and dinner on Pancake Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

:eek:

Mind = blown.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

The point is that you're expected to eat pancakes on Pancake Tuesday. You can't let the world down by not eating them.

It's my birthday on Pancake Tuesday this year \o/. Feel free to send gifts, everyone ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

The point is that you're expected to eat pancakes on Pancake Tuesday. You can't let the world down by not eating them.

It's for a cause :D

I'm making my own this year:P

Faith wrote: »

Given it's christian tradition it's not one we keep in this house hold, so the christian world can feel let down all it wants :p

Every second Friday is pancake day in this house any day the kids can talk me into making them.

So crepes or american pancakes which is it ye prefer?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

We had pancakes on Thursday.

Got some spinach, boiled it down.
    Fried some onion and tipped some leftover sour cream into it after.
    Rolled up the spinach, onion and sour cream into the pancake.
    Smothered it with tomato sauce
    Pop 4/5 rolls into a lasagne tray, in the oven for about 5 mins to heat up the sauce nicely.

Delish.

Had caramel pancakes for dessert :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭Cerulean Chicken

We had pancakes on Thursday.

Got some spinach, boiled it down.
    Fried some onion and tipped some leftover sour cream into it after.
    Rolled up the spinach, onion and sour cream into the pancake.
    Smothered it with tomato sauce
    Pop 4/5 rolls into a lasagne tray, in the oven for about 5 mins to heat up the sauce nicely.

Delish.

Had caramel pancakes for dessert :pac:

...Might as well just have pasta?!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

What's wrong with pancakes instead? Besides, it gives off an entirely different taste and its something away from the norm of having pasta.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭Cerulean Chicken

It would just taste and seem like a pasta-y dish to me. I would consider it a waste of effort and pancakes but sure whatever floats your boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

And some people like to celebrate Shrove Tuesday. Big deal. Take your issues to Atheism & Agnosticism.
    Might as well not bother posting then, heh?

The pair of you take your negativity elsewhere please & let us get on with celebrating pancakes on a day of our choosing.

Thanks,

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Butter, lemon & a sprinkling of sugar for me. Old school! \m/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Butter, lemon and sugar for me too :)

I like pancakes and I think it's a shame most people think of them as being a thing only once a year.

also I am not an atheist or an agnostic :P

Anyone got any tips about stopping blueberry in pancakes from burning?
    Love blueberry pancakes but always end up scorching the damn berrys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Blueberry coulis and creme fraiche with a drizzle of maple syrup. OHHH YEEEAH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

It would just taste and seem like a pasta-y dish to me. I would consider it a waste of effort and pancakes but sure whatever floats your boat.

I hate pasta. I love pancakes. They are NOTHING alike, neither tastewise nor in texture.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Anyone got any tips about stopping blueberry in pancakes from burning?
    Love blueberry pancakes but always end up scorching the damn berrys.

If you're using a crepe batter, it will be too thin to hold fruit in it without them burning. If you're using an American pancake mix, try making your batter a little thicker - less water or more flour. I made American style blueberry pancakes on Saturday and the berries stayed firmly inside the batter and didn't burn.

I'm a lemon and sugar gal too. And Nutella. For American pancakes, it's maple syrup. I think I'll try making whipped butter this year too!

Advertisement