Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pancakes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Looking forward to my usual feta, red pesto, rocket and peppers pancake. I plan to have two of this and finish off with one with maple syrup.
    Himself is a purist lemon, butter and sugar through and through.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Breakfast pancake. Sliced sausage, bacon, cheese, mushrooms, relish.

Crack an egg on top.

Oooooh yeah. I'm in flavour country.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Morag wrote: »

Anyone got any tips about stopping blueberry in pancakes from burning?
    Love blueberry pancakes but always end up scorching the damn berrys.

As Faith said, they work better with thick pancakes. I keep the blueberries separate to the mixture and drop them into the pancakes while the first side is cooking.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Breakfast pancake. Sliced sausage, bacon, cheese, mushrooms, relish.

Crack an egg on top.

Oooooh yeah. I'm in flavour country.

Oooooh, hell yeah. Mouth watering here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭kingtut

Is it weird that I hate pancakes ? :o

*awaits a beating*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

kingtut wrote: »

*awaits a beating*

It's OK. we dont feel anger, just pity.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭kingtut

huskerdu wrote: »
    It's OK. we dont feel anger, just pity.....

I'd be willing to taste test any pancakes made by boardsies, who knows it might get me into pancakes again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

*awaits a beating*
    I'm not a massive fan of American style pancakes. I'll eat them if they have chocolate chips in them but I don't like them with anything else.

Crepes are a different story altogether.

*awaits a beating*
    As a kid I wasn't keen on them – they made me feel a bit ill. Although actually now I think that was more the lemon–sugar combo than the pancake itself.

Now, on the other hand, I could eat them for breakfast, lunch and dinner, whatever the topping/filling, sweet or savoury.

Nyom nyom nyom.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I made a test batch for lunch today :D. Om nom nom.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Fruits like raspberries and in particular blueberries make the best "healthy" (that's what I tell myself anyway...) filling. Just yum.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭blueturnip

Think I will make my batter tonight. I presume it will be OK for tomorrow?

Also, I love the look of the spinach ones above, think I will be trying those also tomorrow! Nom Nom...

Then for afters, back to classic butter, lemon and sugar...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Last year we had a stuffed, baked crepe dish in a 3 cheese sauce. It was amazing and we got to scrap over the bits of burnt cheese in the baking dish but I feared for my heart afterwards. I'm a huge fan of pancakes filled with marshmallows and melted milk chocolate, not a bit traditional and proper sickly sweet but I love it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

blueturnip wrote: »
    Think I will make my batter tonight. I presume it will be OK for tomorrow?

It'll be fine once you keep it in the fridge.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

I totally forgot its pancake day today, so will be under severe pressure to produce pancakes when I get home tonight:o

A friend recommened that I try warming blueberries in maple syrup before adding to my pancakes, don't have them in the fridge at the minute but will deff try it another day. We have pancakes a lot:D very easy supper / tea / breakfast dish.

I like mine with lemon & sugar, but for a special occasion I love nutella, chopped nuts and vanilla icecream - yummy. For breakfast you can't beat american style ones with some fresh fruit and maple syrup.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Oooooooerrrr I couldn't wait so we had *some* last night...
    Will have more for lunch and dinner :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

We eat pancakes regularly, but there is still something special about Pancake tuesday - pancakes for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

I had 2 for breakfast, went for an 18k run, so had lots of room for more for lunch. Traditional lemon and sugar so far. The kids have gone mad with nutella, syrup, honey, marchmallows.

I still cant make them as nice as my mothers though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

Gonna have nutella with my pancakes for the 1st time, would like to use nuts too for a nice texture, can anyone recommend any?

Only ones l can think of are hazelnuts...

Gonna have nutella with my pancakes for the 1st time, would like to use nuts too for a nice texture, can anyone recommend any?

Only ones l can think of are hazelnuts...
    Toasted hazelnuts would be great and would complement the chocolate–hazelnut flavour of the Nutella nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

Just had my first one of the day, ham cheese and sundried tomatoes.

Have some mixed berry compote and chocolate sauce made for some later. Will probably go with some maple syrup/sugar and lemon/ice cream tonight. I have crepe style batter and american batter too. I love pancake tuesday!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

Had classic lemon + sugar last night. Going to go for savoury tonight. Pancakes with rashers. I'm going to put butter on them. What other condiments might go well? Brown sauce seems kinda wrong. :o

EDIT: actually, golden syrup would go well! So kinda sweet AND savoury.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

^Go for the classic maple syrup with bacon if you can :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    Looking forward to my usual feta, red pesto, rocket and peppers pancake. I plan to have two of this and finish off with one with maple syrup.
    Himself is a purist lemon, butter and sugar through and through.

Inspired by this (I normally go for creamy chicken/bacon/muchroom combo) I think I'll got for feta, piquillo peppers and avocado in my savoury one.

Raspberry jam on the sweety one. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

Im making the usual normal sugar and lemon pancakes, then blueberry pancakes and beer pancakes.

/fatty fatty :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

I had blueberry 'Merican style pancakes yesterday with maple syrup and bacon on it. IT WAS GLORIOUS.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

Cooking them now, but they're ending up like fajitas :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I'm not very good at making pancakes, and haven't made them in a few years, so decided to have a go again this year! But I think I've made a mess, again! They taste too floury, so I think I've used too much flour!
    I wanted to make a big batch, so put about 400g flour, 3 eggs and 500ml milk. Is that too much flour??
    how can I make them taste less floury? I have a lot of batter left over as I only made 4 so far and they aren't the best!
    hate cooking! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

WAY too much flour.

This is the best recipe I've come across.

125g plain flour
    Pinch of salt
    1 egg plus 1 egg yolk
    225ml whole or semi-skimmed milk
    Small knob of butter

from here: http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2011/mar/03/how-to-cook-perfect-pancakes

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

WAY too much flour.

This is the best recipe I've come across.

125g plain flour
    Pinch of salt
    1 egg plus 1 egg yolk
    225ml whole or semi-skimmed milk
    Small knob of butter

from here: http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2011/mar/03/how-to-cook-perfect-pancakes

ah dam*n!!
    seems like a waste to throw away what is made....plus I've only 2 eggs left....
    ok, going to have to go again!

• Advertisement

Faith, I hope you had candles in your pancakes.
    Happy birthday :)

Advertisement