Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I cant get my ball to hook anymore!?

Options
  • 08-03-2011 12:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hey guys,

I currently play in a doubles league in ALSAA and at the end of last season I was bowling an average of about 190, but since the last week of last season and every week(3) of this season I don't seem to be able to get my ball to hook and get into the pocket? There is a trio league that is on before it. Any ideas as to why this might happen, would it be my ball has a low hook rate? The way I'm throwing it? The oil pattern? Its killing me cause im averaging about 150 at the moment!!

Cheers guys!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Are you still having this problem?

A couple of other questions:

What make and type of ball are you using?
    Is this a new ball?
    Is it a reactive urethane, polyester or regular urethane ball?

How long have you had the ball and when did you last clean/sand the ball?

Also, is it just you having this problem or are others having it too? If others are having the same issue it could be that the oil pattern on the lane has changed OR that the back end of the lane hasn't been stripped in a while (to remove the track of oil from the last 15 feet of the lane).

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭[DM]Frink

No its not new, I got it second hand from I guy in the league. So I have no idea what sort of ball it is. I have never cleaned or sanded it, wouldn't know what to use!? Its a Phenom bowling ball, thats about all I know about it.

But no one else in the league is having the problem, I have tried many different lines for the ball to travel and have had no success and I have tried different speeds and techinques to throwing it I just dont know whats going on.....

It sounds to be like a number of things could be wrong.

1) You haven't been practicing enough (not likely)
    2) The ball needs to be cleaned (reactive urethane) or sanded (regular urethane)
    3) The weight bock in the ball is damaged

Is this the same ball you've been using all along? If so then it's likely to be one of the above problems, probably cleansing or sanding needed. Ask the reception staff at your bowler about who can look at it for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

That ball should be doing the work for you. I've always advised people not to buy second hand especially at your level. Its best to buy new. There's no guarantee that a ball will react the same when plugged and re drilled for a new hand.

Maybe leave the ball in the bag and use your old one next week.

Who's top of the league by the way? Brendan and Barry or Del and Co?

Sounds to me like it's the ball to be honest. Reading the ball specs and reviews here I can see that this ball is basically a hook monster and that a dry lane will cause you havoc. Even if the lane is really slick with oil, so long as the back ends are relatively clean this ball should hook...

Are you stil hooking well with other balls?

• Advertisement
Advertisement