Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How To Get To Crotty's Lake

• 08-03-2011 1:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭

For a place ive heard so much about, i have no idea where exactly it is!! All i know its up in the mountain somewhere, so where do i go to get there? Hopefully i get to do this and Coumshingaun again (was there in 1999, was bought up there from school for Junior Cert Geography) That was impressive from what i remember.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Its a bit north of Coumshingaun, but you'd be better off getting a map. I think the Discover Series 75 has it (or maybe its 76).

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Guramoogah

Crotty's Lake and Crotty's Cave are on private land and are not accessible to the public. The owner of the land, Bernard Cullinane, has sealed off his land and has promised to sue trespassers. There was an item in last Saturday's (5th March) Irish Times about walking around Coumshingaun and the views from Fauscoum and Crotty's Rock. They also printed a map showing the access route.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Guramoogah wrote: »
    Crotty's Lake and Crotty's Cave are on private land and are not accessible to the public. The owner of the land, Bernard Cullinane, has sealed off his land and has promised to sue trespassers. There was an item in last Saturday's (5th March) Irish Times about walking around Coumshingaun and the views from Fauscoum and Crotty's Rock. They also printed a map showing the access route.

That's disappointing to hear, is the landowner able to do that? Should it not be open for tourists?

Any link to the Irish Times?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Guramoogah

STIG83 wrote:
    Any link to the Irish Times?
    I can't find the article on the Irish Times website. Here's a scan of the route, though:

• Advertisement

Looks like Crotty's lake is a no go if that farmer has blocked people off entering his land from what i saw on that old thread

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 160 ✭✭crottys lake

To answer an earlier thread, the owner is perfectly entitled to close access to the lake and there is no hope of a change of heart until the impasse between him and the 2 local councils is resolved. As everyone knows Crottys Lake could be one of the drivers of the tourism revenue streams in Waterford and its typical of what happens in Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Jonybgud

Would you care to enlighten us as to what the problem actually is?

As you might have guessed I am actually the owner and a lot of nonsense has been spoken as to the reasons behind this. I will only revisit this subject when there is a public apology from Carrick on Suir Urban District Council to my family and when Waterford County Council actually show that they are serious in their pursuit of a proper tourism srategy led by other stakehoders and myself. In fairness to Dennis MaCarthy, who seems to be progressive in is thinking, there might be a chink of light but it will take a real and very serious gesture before any reopening of my lake and lands will take place. As in any conflict [none of my doing ] ,its the ordinary people that suffer and that disappoints me .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 353 ✭✭liogairmhordain

as an alternative to coumshingaun or crottys lake i would suggest "lough mohra" which is beautiful, accessible and fully waymarked:
    http://tcsinfoland.ireland.ie/content/Multimedia/Attachments/359_53bLOUGHMOHRA.pdf

or else "bay lough" in the knockmealdowns which is a nice easy stroll, also carrigavantry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

As you might have guessed I am actually the owner and a lot of nonsense has been spoken as to the reasons behind this. I will only revisit this subject when there is a public apology from Carrick on Suir Urban District Council to my family and when Waterford County Council actually show that they are serious in their pursuit of a proper tourism srategy led by other stakehoders and myself. In fairness to Dennis MaCarthy, who seems to be progressive in is thinking, there might be a chink of light but it will take a real and very serious gesture before any reopening of my lake and lands will take place. As in any conflict [none of my doing ] ,its the ordinary people that suffer and that disappoints me .
    What did the councils do to you? What does access to your lake and lands have anything to do with the councils anyway?

I've no way of knowing if that is Bernard Cullinane, the genuine owner, posting.

What happened was is that the landowner applied for planning permission for an overblown development that would have totally ruined the scenery.

When this was rejected he decided to ban anyone from having access to the lake.

I think this is very childish behaviour on the part of the landowner.

What sickens me is that through my taxes I'm paying the incomes of farmers in this country, and then they try stop me visiting a lake. I don't think people should be allowed walk through wheat fields, but I don't think farmers should prevent their paymasters from walking through rough ground.

Here is a link to the story.
    http://www.tipperarystar.ie/news/local/scenic_lake_closed_to_walkers_in_planning_row_1_2256529

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

Looks like he's throwing his toy's out of the pram, which is a pity as he should be trying to get people bihind him and not against him.crying1k.gif

Yeah it seems like that alright, "Let me build my (inappropriate) development or I won't allow access to land that I own". I'd say he thought by restricting access that the public would side with him against the Council.

I thought the land on a mountain or around it is common land, so if a group of people turn up to cross it to get to the lake, the landowner is gonna sue them and call the Guards to arrest them?
    I think the Guards have better things to be doing than worrying bout people trespassing to get to a well known Waterford landmark.

Crotty's Lake and my land around it is private, hence that's why I say trespassers will be sued. When a meaningful approach is made to me , then, and only then, will I contemplate any future access to my lands. So, in the meantime , get over it and point some of your anger at the power's that be. They have ruined it for you all.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭munster_mafia

Better be making sure you never leave a gate open or a hole in a ditch, cant stop them otherwise.

By the looks of this thread your doing yourself no favours, grow up and let people in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

Crotty's Lake and my land around it is private, hence that's why I say trespassers will be sued. When a meaningful approach is made to me , then, and only then, will I contemplate any future access to my lands. So, in the meantime , get over it and point some of your anger at the power's that be. They have ruined it for you all.

Did you ever hear the saying,"there is pleasure in sharing"and "good will to all men" come on let the people in,wouldn't it be nice to have people saying nice thing's about you when you'r gone.Have a happy Easter.

Just because you and the Council are at loggerheads why do other people have to suffer? I think you should let by gones be by gones and open up the access.

You have ruined it. You control access to the lake, not the council.

• Advertisement

The only reason I commented on this site is to inform all tourists of the situation. As I say I will consider new proposals when they are put to me. I would advise that anymore disparaging remarks like in some earlier posts will only exacerbate the situation.

And how much money are you getting in handouts from the government?

Why should we financially support scrounger farmers like this one who won't allow access to rough ground?

The majority of farmers are decent people who work hard, and I don't think people should be allowed walk around wheat fields and so on. But I've zero respect for someone who is perfectly willing to take hand-outs from the public, but wont allow the public access to rough ground.

It just goes to show the type of idiotic and moronic comments that appear on websites. Let me briefly enlighten the likes of that Stig83, Pshchedelic, Munster Mafia and the equally stupid Dayshah, I have never been awarded any hand outs from the Government nor are any of you idiots paying taxes for my benefit, in actual fact I employ people and our company have an established business providing public service for the local communities since 1964 and to further educate the aforementioned clowns its I who have given handouts to the likes of you and the Govt. in the shape of 280,000 gallons of water every day since 1962 to Carrick on Suir and its surrounds.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

It just goes to show the type of idiotic and moronic comments that appear on websites. Let me briefly enlighten the likes of that Stig83, Pshchedelic, Munster Mafia and the equally stupid Dayshah, I have never been awarded any hand outs from the Government nor are any of you idiots paying taxes for my benefit, in actual fact I employ people and our company have an established business providing public service for the local communities since 1964 and to further educate the aforementioned clowns its I who have given handouts to the likes of you and the Govt. in the shape of 280,000 gallons of water every day since 1962 to Carrick on Suir and its surrounds.

Mod Note

"Idiotic moronic comments" you accuse the posters, yet you come on here and start dishing out a bit of personal abuse in your post? :S

Banned - 7 days for personal abuse. This site has guidelines that apply sitewide and personal abuse happens to be one. You got an email on sign up about our Terms & Conditions, read them and the forum charter before posting on this site again please.

Thanks.

I went up to Coumshingaun Lake today, i noticed alot of people up there, even saw a German reg car parked near me.
    Im sure alot of people coming to visit Waterford go to these scenic places(Mahon Falls car park would be full up on a Sunday) or people going for a Sunday stroll but its not good for tourism if places like Crotty's Lake are blocked, anyone coming to Waterford and they get a booklet on attractions, AFAIK Crotty's Lake is still in some of the booklets but when anyone goes to Crotty's Lake they are in for a shock to see it blocked off with no trespassing signs.
    It sickens me that the landowner can do this, that lake was there well before him and will be there when he and anyone else is gone, just because he didnt get his way with the Council why should the public suffer?

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭munster_mafia

And I taught I was just offering some friendly advice!

Here is an up to date article from the Irish Times.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/archive/2011/0305/Pg058.html

I really think any payments to farmers should be contingent upon access to land.

Does anyone know if anyone tested the legality of the closure? I know in a recent case of Lissadell House the public had right of way due to long standing access. I think the Co Council should take a case, or at least investigate the issue.

dayshah wrote: »
    Here is an up to date article from the Irish Times.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/archive/2011/0305/Pg058.html

I really think any payments to farmers should be contingent upon access to land.

Does anyone know if anyone tested the legality of the closure? I know in a recent case of Lissadell House the public had right of way due to long standing access. I think the Co Council should take a case, or at least investigate the issue.
    I was wondering that myself, just because Cullinane put up a No Trespassing sign, that mightnt mean anything without getting legal advice

STIG83 wrote: »
    I was wondering that myself, just because Cullinane put up a No Trespassing sign, that mightnt mean anything without getting legal advice

I'm no lawyer. However he is threatening to sue people. But you can only sue people for damages. I can't see what damage is caused by people going for a walk on rough ground which is a long distance from a family home.

I'd understand if there was problems with littering, or some sort of liability issue, or if it was right beside someone's private residence. However it is 100% clear that Bernard Cullinane closed in retaliation for planning permission being denied.

He says he never received a handout. Doesn't he realise that the horse breeding industry (his job) is hugely dependent on subsidies from the taxpayer? He expects to receive handouts for his hobby, but denies people who's hobby is to see a part of Waterford's heritage.

• Advertisement

dayshah wrote: »
    I'm no lawyer. However he is threatening to sue people. But you can only sue people for damages. I can't see what damage is caused by people going for a walk on rough ground which is a long distance from a family home.

I'd understand if there was problems with littering, or some sort of liability issue, or if it was right beside someone's private residence. However it is 100% clear that Bernard Cullinane closed in retaliation for planning permission being denied.

He says he never received a handout. Doesn't he realise that the horse breeding industry (his job) is hugely dependent on subsidies from the taxpayer? He expects to receive handouts for his hobby, but denies people who's hobby is to see a part of Waterford's heritage.

That exactly it, taking his anger or bitterness(whatever you call it) out on the public, i was gonna PM you Dayshah but i seem to cannot

Advertisement