Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best spot for a few ballads on Paddy's Day?

Options
  • 08-03-2011 2:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭

I love an oul ballad, but never really go to pubs where they'd be sung, so I'm not really up to date with the best places!

On Paddy's Day I'm at my patriotic/Brit-hating peak, so I figure I'll try catch some ballads while I'm in town!

Any spots that you'd recommend? Preferably somewhere with a bit of authenticity, not a diddley-aye thing for the tourists...

Also, unpatriotic as it may be to admit, I'm not into the trad. music of the jigs and reels variety!

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

Dave! wrote: »
    I love an oul ballad, but never really go to pubs where they'd be sung, so I'm not really up to date with the best places!

On Paddy's Day I'm at my patriotic/Brit-hating peak, so I figure I'll try catch some ballads while I'm in town!

Any spots that you'd recommend? Preferably somewhere with a bit of authenticity, not a diddley-aye thing for the tourists...

Also, unpatriotic as it may be to admit, I'm not into the trad. music of the jigs and reels variety!

Cheers

Damo Dempsey's playing in Ashbourne (Not Dublin City I know...) on Paddy's Day. His ballad renditions are incredible. I can't imagine you'd find anywhere in town that had ballads on Paddy's Day that wasn't touristy though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Gogarty's in Temple Bar is a great choice
    http://www.gogartys.ie/

It is a bit touristy most of the time but in fairness to them they have some wonderful performers upstairs most days/nights. I am not sure what they have lined up for Paddy's day though.

I imagine though, you probably won't be disappointed and will find at least one good group/singer performing there on the day.

Second Gogartys. Was there a few years ago and it was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Uriel. wrote: »
    Gogarty's in Temple Bar is a great choice
    http://www.gogartys.ie/
    Ouch! Temple Bar on Patrick's Day :eek:
    The Cobblesone in Smithfield, (no horse fair that day) the place is tiny so it will packed to suffocation, Hughes on Chancery St (I think) behind The Four Courts.

Advertisement