Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows Vista Reinstall - C Drive not reformatted?

• 08-03-2011 2:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

Hi all,

My laptop has a 250GB hard drive and over the past few weeks I've noticed that 240GB are filled - with what I don't know.

I decided to save all my photos, music etc.. onto an external HD (which only took up about 15gigs) so I could do a reinstall of windows vista and wipe my C drive to get back all my hard disk space.

In doing a factory reinstall I was told that it would wipe all files etc.. from the C drive which is what I wanted, however once the reinstall was completed, I note that the C drive is still using 240 gigs - I cannot account for this, and have no idea whats taking up all this space as I don't download movies or anything like that, I just use my laptop for e-mail, facebook etc...

I can't find any programs, files or folders which would be accounting for all this space being used.

How can I wipe all this data from the C drive? I thought that by using the factory reset installation CD which came with my laptop would do this but it hasn't.

Any ideas on how I can find out whats using this space, or how to format the C drive?

I'm a noob, so a "dummies how to guide" would be great!

Thanks in advance for any help, it's greatly appreciated! :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭practice

Try this as recommended by "JonathanAnon" in another post here.

"You can download free tools like TreeSize which will help you to identify where the big files are"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Seriously, dont reinstall Vista. Get yourself a copy of 7, format then install.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Did you run the repair or reinstall of vista?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,311 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Seriously, dont reinstall Vista. Get yourself a copy of 7, format then install.
    If we're talking about a laptop thats 2 or 3 years old it's not really worth the effort. Vista had issues but it doesn't justify the upgrade license, not really. Desktop maybe, but laptops grow obsolete fast. Especially not worth it just to facebook.

OP when you did the re-install did it delete any of your existing programs, desktop items, music or photos?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭BogManInc

Just a note to thank everyone for their enlightened suggestions. A good friend solved the problem and all is good.

• Advertisement
Advertisement