Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Regret staying in education??

• 08-03-2011 2:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, alot of people I speak to regret leaving school early. I stayed in school although I didn't want to and I got a 2.1 Hons Degree. Since graduating in 2008 I have worked in my chosen career on and off including working for less than the legal minimum wage.

Now though, I regret staying in school. My education has got me nowhere nor has it got me a decent job. I see people who left school at 16 still working in Tesco's now - at least they have a job and 8 years wages behind them!

I always told myself I will get an education and then once I graduate, I can work in any job I wish even if its nothing to do with my qualification. Now though, I can't get any job.

Does anyone else out there regret staying in school??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 146 ✭✭VALIS

I don't regret staying in education by any means--especially secondary level education. Whilst going through college has not proven instantly lucrative or led me directly to a position in my field it has opened up opportunities to get involved in an area that I am passionate about which would have been otherwise unavailable without the qualification and experience I have accumulated. I intend to further my education in this area too to improve my employment prospects in that field.

If one has the opportunity to get education they should absolutely seize it, especially second level education.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Agree with above poster. It can be hard when you're looking around you and you see a lot of people doing well, but longer term you may have oppertunities which your peers now wont have.

College itself is also a worthwhile experience, I am sure your Tesco friends were jealous when you were getting up at 11am every morning, you know.

No one expected to graduate into a recession, I certainly didnt. But, our parents got through it in the 80s, which much less education, and I think we can too.

The best advice I've ever gotten was "Look up", as in to say, dont be looking at your feet, and your friend and being sad / begruding (not saying you are, but you know what i mean), instead, look up, look at the bigger picture, look to the future. Your own, not everyone elses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭yourpics

Great advice Suaimhneach! Cheers!

Although i used to be up alot earlier than 11am lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

Think of it in the long term scheme of things, alot people who regret not having degrees are much older, often they find themselves after hitting a ceiling because they just wont be considered without a degree. The recession isn't going to last forever either.

It also gives more opportunity for change, you can go back and do a one year masters afterwards if you want move into a loosely related field ( say like doing programming after getting a maths degree).

I definitely have no regrets, for the above reasons, but it was an enjoyable time too, life is not just about money after all. I wouldn't enjoy having to do night classes if I had a family and a full time job (Well at this stage in my life anyway).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭yourpics

I doubt i will be doing a masters, struggled to get the degree haha

yes your right money isnt everything but it is extremely important!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 peadar1987

I don't regret staying in education at all, and I especially don't regret going abroad for a Master's. My main regret is coming back to Ireland at the end of it, instead of trying to find a job in the UK straight away, even something that would just pay the rent. This country is such a depressing place to be at the moment. Maybe it's just projection, but even walking along the street, everybody has their heads down. Not a lot of hope out there at the moment.

Advertisement