Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

IndyCar 2011

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Can't see the point in that.

No problem in running 33 cars on most ovals. Maybe makes sense on road courses where 26 is a good figure.

Will only put pressure on smaller outfits who will struggle with sponsorship if they are not qualifying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Well, I did a little bit of finding out last year's car totals, and who would have fallen foul by DNQ'ing.

Sao Paulo: 24
    St. Pete: 24
    Barber: 25
    Long Beach: 25
    Kansas: 27
    Not qualified on speed: Lloyd, Duno, Romancini
    Top driver points provisional: Romancini
    Best practice time: Lloyd
    DNQ: Duno
    Indy: 38
    Texas: 26
    Iowa: 25
    Watkins Glen: 25
    Toronto: 26
    Edmonton: 25
    Mid-Ohio: 27
    Not qualified on speed: Rahal, Howard, Duno
    Top driver points provisional: None (Duno top points, but not in the top 22)
    Best practice time: Rahal
    Next best qualifying time: Howard
    Sonoma: 25
    Chicagoland: 29
    Not qualified on speed: Fisher, Duno, Simona, Hamilton, Howard
    Top driver points proivisonal: Simona
    Best practice time: Fisher
    DNQ: Duno, Hamilton, Howard
    Kentucky: 27
    Not qualified on speed: Rahal, Kanaan, RHR
    Top driver points proivisonal: RHR
    Best practice time: Kanaan
    DNQ: Rahal :(
    Motegi: 25
    Homestead: 27
    Not qualified on speed: Simona, Mutoh, Duno
    Top driver points proivisonal: Mutoh
    Best practice time: Simona

EDIT @13:15: Also bear in mind at the moment, we're only at 19 confirmed full-time drivers this season, as well as Cunningham for 3 ovals, Carpenter for 9 races, and about 7 Indy only entries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

TheChrisD wrote: »
    EDIT @13:15: Also bear in mind at the moment, we're only at 19 confirmed full-time drivers this season, as well as Cunningham for 3 ovals, Carpenter for 9 races, and about 7 Indy only entries.

Around the same last year wasn't it? I'd say towards the end of the season availability of chassises (how to pluralise "chassis") will be a factor for one-off entrants. Not many are going to hire a car for the last year of the current spec.

amacachi wrote: »
    Around the same last year wasn't it?

Well, last year there were 24 full-time cars (including the 24 of Conway+relief drivers; and the 34+36 for Conquest), 9 part-time cars (27, 43, 02, 20, 15, 21, 23, 66, 67)), and 6 Indy-only cars (41, 25, 33, 99, 29, 30).

Also this year, there's yet to be any announcements with regards to Dale Coyne, Newman-Haas, or Conquest, so we could still see another 3-6 full-time cars. James Hinchcliffe and Oriol Servia tested with NH over the winter so may get rides, and there have been rumours of Bourdais coming back with Coyne. Tracy's trying to get in with Conquest, and there are still other drives without plans yet including Alex Lloyd, Baguette, Moraes, TK, Matos and of course Milka :/

Coverage of St. Pete starting in half an hour. :)

• Advertisement

Well, it's starting now that those rich men are finished hitting balls around a bit of countryside. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭gs39t

Bourdais crashed in warmup and the car burnt quite badly - they have no backup so he's not starting! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭smooch71

Well, it's starting now that those rich men are finished hitting balls around a bit of countryside. :pac:

Yeah was panicking there myself for a few minutes. I remember years ago when Eurosport showed the IndyCar World Series they would often miss the first half of a race due to Under 21s Spanish Soccer or some ****e goingo into extra time!

gs39t wrote: »
    Bourdais crashed in warmup and the car burnt quite badly - they have no backup so he's not starting! :(
    Ah ffs, was looking forward to seeing him back in US racing.
    smooch71 wrote: »
    Yeah was panicking there myself for a few minutes. I remember years ago when Eurosport showed the IndyCar World Series they would often miss the first half of a race due to Under 21s Spanish Soccer or some ****e goingo into extra time!
    I didn't used to watch it but I do remember Eurosport being hilarious for that kind of stuff. :P

Has to be said, there really are some great tracks in the US that aren't used enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭smooch71

Has to be said, there really are some great tracks in the US that aren't used enough.

Yep, would love to see Laguna Seca and Road America back. Classic tracks.

I'm looking forward to Baltimore but maybe thats just because of The Wire!

• Advertisement

smooch71 wrote: »
    Yep, would love to see Laguna Seca and Road America back. Classic tracks.

I'm looking forward to Baltimore but maybe thats just because of The Wire!

I actually meant the ones Indycar does use, Sonoma just looks awesome from above and the Glen is nice. I was more thinking how there's those awesome tracks that aren't used outside of Indycar. Well, by fast cars anyway. :P

Would love to see them hit Sebring, partly because I know the track unbelievably well from Forza :pac: but also because there's something about the track I really like, it's very raw or something.

Agreed on B'more, they've a long contract too. If there was a good oval race before or after it I'd do everything I could to get over there.

Watching about 5 minutes behind and wondering WTF this is, I watch motorsport to get away from women bitching! :pac:

picard-facepalm.jpg

Of all the times to race like this it's one of the few that's on network TV. Sigh.

Simona up to 2nd :eek:

At this rate, we'll have more cautions laps than green laps, and probably won't even make Lap 75 before the 2h time limit :rolleyes:

gs39t wrote: »
    Simona up to 2nd :eek:

Aye, fair play. Noticed a couple of restarts ago she was up around 9th.

Race control needs to get onto the drivers and get them 2-wide through the last bend.

Race control needs to get onto the drivers and get them 2-wide through the last bend.

Doubt that, remember they moved the restart zone on all tracks to pretty much straight under the flagstand!

Doubt that, remember they moved the restart zone on all tracks to pretty much straight under the flagstand!

Aye but they should be lined up properly going onto the straight. What seems to be happening is the front 10 or so are lined up then the others are speeding up to catch them then some have to slow down when they catch up and others don't, leaving it 4 or more wide into turn one.

1 lap earlier for that caution would've been some craic. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

danica lol

Come on Simona!

Dayum Simona that was close! Great run though :D

Dammit, I missed all the action during the middle segment at Barber because of dinner :(

Team owners really need to have a word with the drivers, it's been like amateur hour the last two races.

I wonder if Power has a room for all those novelty cheques. :pac:

Just watching the race now, if IndyCar can hold on to Kimball it'll help them a LOT.

Where the fcuk did Conway pull that out of!? Fair play!

Conway's been pretty damn quick all season long, and he managed to pull it off :)

Think Helio's getting a pay cut? :D

• Advertisement

On a different note the coverage seemed a fair bit better than usual yesterday which is much needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,397 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Wet in Brazil, race was stopped but looking like it might restart soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

what time does it go dark in sao paulo :rolleyes:

They're finally running again! Come on, let's get this thing over with!!!

Back to red :(

EDIT: Postponed until 1pm EDT tomorrow!

They're finally running again! Come on, let's get this thing over with!!!

if they do start, there should be plenty of action, still very wet, hope they at least give it a go, would be a pity not to get a race after waiting

Another red flag :(

• Advertisement

game over for today... 1pm eastern tomoro

Pity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Wet in Brazil, race was stopped but looking like it might restart soon

What channel is the Indycar shown on this year???

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

astrofluff wrote: »
    What channel is the Indycar shown on this year???

sky sports in this region. this race is gonna be on SS channel 4 on the red button, which i dont have :(

forecast isnt good apparently for today either

Well the weather sure played a funny. They all started on slicks, then it rained on the pace laps and they all had to pit just after the start for wets :D

Also, g'wan Sato! Just a pity the strategy didn't work out in the end.

• Advertisement

The fcuk!? Thought it was at 5 today!?

Don't give any more spoilers, I'll watch a replay.

The fcuk!? Thought it was at 5 today!?

While Versus originally announced 1pm ET, it was scheduled for 8am ET today.
    Versus aired it live, and will re-air at 5pm ET, hopefully someone will stream for you.

Ah fcuk it. Hopefully Sky will have a replay, don't think they did last time a race was put back.

Found a download, fun race I thought. Loved the comment about how they're not able to keep up production of the front wings. :pac:

Roll on Indy, few days after my exams end so hopefully I'll be out of hospital in time. :pac:

Indy in a week and a half. :D Main qualifying on Saturday in case anyone was wondering!

Was watching the practice live yesterday when Simona had that terrifying crash, trapped upside down and on fire, very scary and very lucky she only has light burns to her hands. She's running out of lives.

Bump day will be fantastic, 40 cars, 33 spots :D

Women drivers. :rolleyes:

Glad I wasn't watching that live, looks awful with the car upside down and on fire.

So, Pole Day's running strong, less than an hour to go before the 4pm gun to lock in the top 24 before the shootout :D

Current Top 9:
    1. Tagliani - 226.954
    2. Dixon - 226.701
    3. Franchitti - 226.379
    4. Wheldon - 226.300
    5. Bell - 226.227
    6. Carpenter - 226.171
    7. Power - 226.089
    8. Servia - 225.775
    9. Rice - 225.746

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

Tags on pole. What an achievement for Sam Schmidt considering they're not a full time team. Townsend Bell in 4th as well.

Absolutely delighted for Tags. I was really hoping the rain would hold and he wouldn't have had to go through another run, but he excelled and took a well-deserved pole :)

Tags for 500 spoiler maybe? :D

1 77 Alex Tagliani Sam Schmidt Motorsports 227.472 mph (366 km/h) 15
    2 9 Scott Dixon Chip Ganassi Racing 227.340 mph (366 km/h) 13
    3 2 Oriol Servià Newman/Haas Racing 227.168 mph (366 km/h) 12
    4 99 Townsend Bell Sam Schmidt Motorsports 226.887 mph (365 km/h) 11
    5 12 Will Power Team Penske 226.773 mph (365 km/h) 10
    6 98 Dan Wheldon Bryan Herta Autosport 226.490 mph (365 km/h) 9
    7 44 Buddy Rice Panther Racing 225.786 mph (363 km/h) 8
    8 67 Ed Carpenter Sarah Fisher Racing 225.121 mph (362 km/h) 7
    9 10 Dario Franchitti Chip Ganassi Racing No time 6
    andyman wrote: »
    What an achievement for Sam Schmidt considering they're not a full time team.
    Actually Tags' #77 is a full-time car this year. Although Schmidt did mention on the coverage that they are still looking for a sponsor to run 2012...

• Advertisement
Advertisement