Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

IndyCar 2011

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

TheChrisD wrote: »
    Therein lies the problem. RP confirmed there was a penalty, Dixon in the media centre post-race also confirmed it.

You can't just keep a car out there and have your big mommy Chip go give out to IndyCar for trying to punish you. It's blatant favouritism. And the other comments that Dixon made post-race about Rahal being an idiot and "getting what he deserved"? Yea, TCGR are soooooo playing fair(!)

How about the driver behind see that the gap is closing and maybe, shock horror, roll out of the throttle a bit to avoid a collision? This isn't NASCAR, this isn't a contact sport, so why does no-one seem to give a crap when there's tons of contact made by impatient people?

Well in all fairness I dont think Chip Ganassi would lie on national tv that it was the first he'd heard. As i say, theyve gotta be consistent, if there was a penalty, rescinded or not, its gotta apply to everyone.

How about Power look in his mirrors and take the corner wide as gravity dictates, Dario was up against the wall and its a 40 mph corner he cant slow down much more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

How about Power look in his mirrors

Guess what? He did:

"power didnt give him room"

So with regards to pretty much every bit of contact this race had, there were absolutely NO penalties applied, which is disgraceful.

- Briscoe/Kanaan: Never saw it, can't comment.
    - Helio/Tagliani: Never saw it, can't comment.
    - Tracy/Meira: Meira's fault, he didn't leave the inside lane open, should have maybe been a blocking penalty.
    - Dario/Will: Dario's fault, should have backed out of the throttle, wasn't even at Power's right-rear by the time they got to the corner, should've been penalised.
    - Will/Tagliani: Tag's fault, replay shows he pretty much dive-bombed, should've been penalised.
    - Danica/Tagliani: Danica's fault, learn to brake better, should've been penalised.
    - Last Turn 1 incident: Marco's fault, learn to brake better, should've been penalised.
    - Rahal/RHR: RHR wasn't far enough alongside, should've been penalised, but I need to see another replay to make the call.

"power didnt give him room"

He gave plenty of room for the inside of the corner, yet Dario didn't take it. If Dario had been to at least his sidepod, then yes it would've been Will chopping down onto him - but he wasn't, so Dario's fault for not rolling out of the throttle.

From twitter

dariofranchitti Dario Franchitti

Hey @12WillPower check out the replay then give me a yell....

12WillPower

@dariofranchitti I did watch it and could not have raced you any cleaner----PISSED

lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭gs39t

Nice to see Power had decided he isnt above calling fans w*nkers on Twitter who dont agree with him. Classy.

Except Roger Penske said that it was mentioned over the race control channel that a penalty would be awarded, and Dixon pretty much confirmed it before the post-race conference (which was streamed on the IndyCar Livestream - footage subsequently pulled once they were called out on it).

There's a huge cover-up going on, and no-one likes it.

Just found this on Curt Cavin's blog:
    I was sitting next to an IndyCar official in the media center at the time of Franchitti’s contact with Power, and the official’s radio was monitoring everything transmitted from the chief steward, who says all sorts of things during the race from penalties to arranging the double-file restarts to getting cars in the right order. So when Dario hit Will there was an obvious expectation that there could be a penalty, so we were listening intently. Nothing was ever said. We kept listening, and nothing came. Then Bob Jenkins said on TV that a penalty had been called. We were shocked. “Where did that come from?” we said. We stayed glued to the radio, and nothing came. Then it began to play out. I have no idea where the information came from, but Chip Ganassi later said he wasn’t told anything from IndyCar and Scott Dixon said he heard it from his team, not IndyCar. Al Unser Jr., who is in race control and is part of the review team, said no penalty was issued, and that’s consistent with the fact Marco Andretti, Ryan Briscoe and Ryan Hunter-Reay weren’t penalized for similar situations.

http://blogs.indystar.com/racingexpert/2011/07/11/july-11-on-a-wild-weekend-in-toronto/

I tend to believe this

Barnfart strikes again.

I think Power summed it up quite nicely:
    p99asz.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Just home now to see the race. I'll read the previous posts "tomorrow" but Christ it's annoying to see the poor turnout for the Indycar races compared to NASCAR. By all logical, non-partisan, neutral measure Indycar racing on ovals is the best things ever :P

Thank you Taku! :P

Haven't finished the race yet but Dario kept picking the outside lane, his perogative. Seemed to decide on his last restart that he wanted the middle. On paper it's his bad. With a championship at stake it's very, very much his bad.

If Servia wins after me backing him in 3 of the last 4 races I'll be bloody annoyed :P

In the end Power can't complain too much, didn't cost him any points as it happened. Also surprised/disappointed at Taku blaming himself for the contact with him and Dario.

I'm just massively relieve that Servia didn't win. :pac:

Oh dear, he's turning into a meme now :D

MARCOS_medium.gif

292198_263100867036334_100000092691964_1098881_653967_n.jpg

power-ali-liston.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭smooch71

amacachi wrote: »
    Just home now to see the race. I'll read the previous posts "tomorrow" but Christ it's annoying to see the poor turnout for the Indycar races compared to NASCAR. By all logical, non-partisan, neutral measure Indycar racing on ovals is the best things ever :P

Agree fully. I hope the new car next year will draw more attention and crowds to the ovals. I had expressed my disgust when I'd heard Dallara got the contract but seeing the car I'm having second thoughts.

It's ironic that Indycar has no problem selling tickets for the road courses etc and the racing on them is tedious. Maybe they need DRS!

smooch71 wrote: »
    Agree fully. I hope the new car next year will draw more attention and crowds to the ovals. I had expressed my disgust when I'd heard Dallara got the contract but seeing the car I'm having second thoughts.

It's ironic that Indycar has no problem selling tickets for the road courses etc and the racing on them is tedious. Maybe they need DRS!

Sure they already have it too easy to overtake ffs. :pac:
    It's annoying as well when I get emails about the special offers on tickets and know what price they are, it's not like they're charging too much to get people in.

• Advertisement

Sure they already have it too easy to overtake ffs. :pac:
    It's annoying as well when I get emails about the special offers on tickets and know what price they are, it's not like they're charging too much to get people in.

Indycar are *throwing* tickets at people for the Las Vegas race, and i bet the crowd will still stink. The whole '5 non regulars for $5m' thing has all turned to naught anyway because they cant find 5 notable drivers anywhere who want to do it, so thats quite an embarrassment to the series. The only notable name with a half decent racing resume is Kasey Kahne, but the chance of him ending up in a car are very slim. The rest is guys who are pseudo-celebs like Ken Block, Travis Pastrana and such, basically guys without even circuit racing experience, who wouldnt even be allowed get in the cars...

They really should've chased Raikkonen for the Vegas race IMO. Obviously easier said than done but hoping for other current top-class drivers was doomed to failure from the start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

400 mile race at Fontana next year, sweet!

Lack of penalty for Franchitti today will surely further taint his inevitable championship win.

• Advertisement

If Francheaty wins the championship by less than 10 points, then it will all have been because of the lack of consistency by Race Control with penalties.

Had they done what they have done the past few weeks, which is to give them a drive-through after going green, Franchitti would have been stuck in last (24th after TK penalty) until the final yellow, after which he would've earned four positions by cars spinning off (Viso, RHR, Meira, Kimball) and probably gotten past about five others.

This would've put him in 15th rather than 9th, which only pays 15 points as opposed to the 22 he won.

I'd love to hear the discussion Race Control had before awarding the penalty, since apparently the Verizon IndyCar mobile app added a direct Race Control feed so people can listen in to stuff like this being called.

Seriously, though. Brian Barnhart HAS TO GO.

Have to agree with the lads on Sky too though, Penske cost Power a win and most-laps-lead points with their conservatism on the first stop. They'd made it to one-third distance with a yellow about to come out so they could've short-fueled and still made it on one more stop full-speed with just one more yellow.

Power on pole tonight. Very surprising and nice that it's not going to script. :)

The best result tonight would be Carpenter 1st, Power 2nd and Francheaty 29th :D

Race is on ABC so expect the drivers to make some ridiculous mistakes. :pac:

Looks like no damage to power, we shall see though!

Can't watch, having to rely on the radio broadcast on Timing and Scoring. Bloody hell, every single JTV streamer considers the Cup race to be more important.

That contact better not become another Iowa repeat.

How in the fcuk did Franchitti get to the lead!?

He's got the final pit stall because of his pole run at Loudon. Combine that with the normal speed of the TCGR pits... :mad:

Still can't believe he made up so many spots though!

Power just struggled to get a lap over 215, must be something messing with his aero. :(

• Advertisement

Pit and try and fix the problem or try to hang on? I think he should roll the dice and pit :pac:

Well, that was a nice time for a yellow, did Tim Cindric throw a water bottle onto the track? ;)

Well, that was a nice time for a yellow, did Tim Cindric throw a water bottle onto the track? ;)

Sharpest one I've ever seen. :P

Every fcuking bit of luck going and he fcuking gets it.

Jesus christ, these yellow-flag stops are becoming a complete travesty!

Seen any video? Have to wonder if the concrete in pitlane was specially polished before the race. :pac:

Dario needed plenty of yellow, surprise, surprise. :pac:

Nope, no video from some of the main motorsport highlighters yet. IndyCar better have a decent highlights video for this one :mad:

Piss off Dixie, leave it up to Ed to give Francheaty what for!

• Advertisement

CARPENTER, FCUK YEA!!!!!!!

Thought you had Sky? What an end, even my mam thought it was exciting. :pac:

Love that shot with Ed shaking his fist before he crossed the line. Cool as ya like. :pac:

Thought you had Sky?

Nope, Magnet. And even then, not spending god knows how much for Sky Sports.

Nope, Magnet. And even then, not spending god knows how much for Sky Sports.

Pfft, you obviously just don't love sports as much as I do. :pac:

This package costs nearly €90 a month for Internet, TV and phone as it is without another €30-€40 for Sky Sports :/

Anyway, damn this explains the fact only 6 cars finished in the Lights race!

• Advertisement

No UPC where you are either? :P

God no. To switch away from Magnet means all the ethernet ports in the walls would be useless :pac:

Anyway, hype for Vegas?

Looking forward to it. I'm hoping Power can carry his advantage from the last race. 1st with pole and most laps lead and Dario needs 2nd to take the title assuming the tie-break is most wins. Power really needs Castroneves or Briscoe to put in a decent performance for the first time in ages.

I think Power has better odds asking Helio to crash Dario out :pac:

Aye. Just don't get how Helio and Briscoe have regressed so much over the last while.

• Advertisement
Advertisement