Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

457 Visa - Sponsorship

Options
  • 08-03-2011 6:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 39,336 ✭✭✭✭

First of all, I'm sure that this info is somewhere on the forum already.
    But sponsorship is mentioned so often that a search doesn't easily turn it up. A lot of the info I have already comes from friends and the immigration site. I was hoping you guys can fill in the blanks for me. And maybe the info here can help others in the future.

Ok, so I'm getting my sponsorship in place this week. As always I left it to the last minute. I'm not going through a visa agent, so i'll be trying to get everything ready myself.

Ok, from my own research, the sponsorship process is a 3 step one. Sponsor application, nomination application, and visa application.

Step 1: Sponsor application - Your company apply to sponsor workers. There are criteria they need to meet and its basically to see if they are eligible. It is valid for 3 years (2 years prior to 14/09/09). So they may be cover from an existing application.

Step 2: Nomination. Here the company let immigration know that they have a role to be fillled and who they wish to fill it with. This is to see if the role and the salary is at the market standard. That the position is included on the list of eligble jobs (various over time so I won't link it here)

Step 3: Visa application. Here you apply to forfil the nominated application.

It is possible to apply for all they stage at the same time, or for nomination and visa at the same time. But you cannot apply for any step before a previous one. All the forms for paper applications are available on the immigration site. Online applications are also handled through there. (online also get priorty)

Documents
    What other documents do I need?
    This is where I get a bit lost and was hoping some blanks could be filled in. Is it simply a case of filling out the forms and sending them in. And if any additional documents are needed immigration will contact you.
    I'm pretty much hoping thats the case as then I can get it in asap and handly the rest while on a bridging visa (although I didn't think there is much for me, no defacto, no skills assessment)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

• Registered Users Posts: 39,336 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

yeah DL'd that already. I actually it printed off and in a folder with the forms. Must give it a read tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

I'm just running through the same thing at the minute mate, I don't think you can put your actual visa application through until the nomination gets approved though. When the nomination gets approved you get a TRN number (Approval number) that you use to complete the actual visa application. Note my nomination phase took 14 weeks in total. Whether or not thats down to a lazy sponsor I don't know. :)

You don't really need a whole pile just for yourself, I spent two hours at the weekend researching whether or not we need separate health insurance and came to the conclusion that we don't. We are covered by the reciprocal agreement with Ireland, though as Mandrake pointed out to me before its a good idea to get separate health insurance anyway.

The visa application itself says to attach anything you see fit that goes for CV, employment references for last 3 years at least,
    educational details, certificates etc. Anything that will help the cause basically.

You also shouldn't have to worry about the sponsor application?. If they
    have sponsored workers before then this process has already been completed.

Feelgood wrote: »
    I'm just running through the same thing at the minute mate, I don't think you can put your actual visa application through until the nomination gets approved though.
    Certain you can. Read it on the website. i'll get the link

From the immi website;
    Step 3 - Employee Applies for a Visa
    The employee must apply for a visa to work in Australia on a temporary basis.

To lodge a visa application the sponsorship and nomination must have been lodged with or prior to the visa application.
    They won't process it until nomination is approved but you can lodge it and therefore get a bridging visa. lucky this is possible as I don't have 14 weeks
    You don't really need a whole pile just for yourself, I spent two hours at the weekend researching whether or not we need separate health insurance and came to the conclusion that we don't. We are covered by the reciprocal agreement with Ireland, though as Mandrake pointed out to me before its a good idea to get separate health insurance anyway.
    Do you need health insurance when applying, or is it just once approved.
    I can't remember exactly what I read, but it was something like you are oblidged to maintain health insurance.
    The visa application itself says to attach anything you see fit that goes for CV, employment references for last 3 years at least,
    educational details, certificates etc. Anything that will help the cause basically.
    I was think mroe a long the line of x-rays etc
    That's something they request, rather than something you have to arrange before lodging.
    You also shouldn't have to worry about the sponsor application?. If they
    have sponsored workers before then this process has already been completed
    They have before, it it was in 2007. AFAIK there was no non-conformance issues so it should be a formality.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭uglyjohn

i've tried to format this for boards,but its trickey and its late at night.
    its from an email sent to me by my migration agent listing what i had to do
    hope it helps

We have been appointed by xxxxxx to assist in the preparation of your Subclass 457 Visa Application for lodgement with the Australian Immigration authorities, subject to your signed acceptance of their offer of employment.

To enable us to expedite your case, we would appreciate if you could complete and sign the attached Form 1066 (Payment details not required) and Form 956 and return together with the following personal documents as required for your application.

You can scan and email the forms and documents to visas@cciwa.com (if it is convenient for you to do so). However, all requested certified documents MUST be mailed to CCI Migration Services, 180 Hay Street, East Perth, Western Australia 6004.

DOCUMENTARY EVIDENCE

Updated Curriculum Vitae / Resume :REQUIRED

Certified Copies of Qualifications (Detailed certificates, transcripts, etc) :REQUIRED

Certified Copies of Written Letters of Employment References :REQUIRED

Certified copy of bio-page of passport :REQUIRED

1 Recent passport photograph for Form 1066 (print name, DOB and sign on back of each photograph) :REQUIRED

Colour passport-sized photograph - less than 6 months old (please refer to the attached for more information) :REQUIRED

Certified documents that prove your dependent children’s identity - preferably a certified copy of birth registration showing both parents’ names : If applicable

Certified copy of all marriage certificates or evidence of de-facto relationship : If applicable

Certified copy of divorce decree or death certificate of deceased spouse : If applicable

Certified copy of name change, for example by marriage or deed poll : If applicable

Certified copy of documents that verify custody and access arrangements and/or adoption papers / Evidence of dependency for children over 18 years : If applicable

Certified copy of military record or discharge papers if served in armed forces : If applicable

: If applicable

Signed and completed Form 1066 :REQUIRED

Signed and completed Form 956 :REQUIRED

Evidence of Private Health Insurance

Note: Residents of the following countries have access to Medicare under reciprocal arrangements hence only travel insurance covering initial stay in Australia is required with subsequent enrolment with Medicare after arrival in Australia.

§ United Kingdom
    § Sweden
    § Finland
    § Norway
    § The Netherlands
    § Belgium
    § Malta
    § Italy
    § Ireland (travel insurance is not required)

Note: Certified copies are photocopies that have been certified as true copies of the original document by an authorised person (e.g. solicitor, notary public, commissioner for declarations or other authorised person before whom a Statutory Declaration can be made).

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    From the immi website;
    They won't process it until nomination is approved but you can lodge it and therefore get a bridging visa. lucky this is possible as I don't have 14 weeks

Basically I got dropped a mail from Immi - 'Notification of approval of a business nomination' which instructed me to apply for my visa. When I put the actual visa application through I had to supply the Nomination Transaction Reference Number (TRN), I only got this number on the approval mail above?. Saying that I didn't put the initial nomination application through, so it might be supplied when you do that either?.

Though yes when I put through the visa application, I immediately moved to a bridging visa. :)

Do you need health insurance when applying, or is it just once approved.
    I can't remember exactly what I read, but it was something like you are oblidged to maintain health insurance.

I don't think so mate, we are covered by the reciprocal agreement with Ireland. My missus broke her thumb last year while here, she got surgery, k-wires put in, a semi private hospital room, k-wires removed and physio over 8 weeks all for just showing her passport. So there is obviously a lot covered by the reciprocal.

The part that caused me confusion was that we may be asked to provide a medicare approval cert or card as part of the application, but Ireland and NZ are the only countries that don't have to apply for medicare on arrival. (We just have to show our passports at hospital). I think Immi know this - I will let them make that call. If they come back to me looking for it, I will let you know.

I was think mroe a long the line of x-rays etc
    That's something they request, rather than something you have to arrange before lodging.

If you think about it, you are getting sponsored because your sponsor is saying they can't find a local Australian to do the work you can do. So basically you have to prove that. You have to prove that you are both educated and fit to do the job you are being sponsored to do. Educational certs, work references, work history. Probably depending on the occupation you are in you will be required to supply a medical aswell, though yes they will request that. I read that in there somewhere aswell.
    They have before, it it was in 2007. AFAIK there was no non-conformance issues so it should be a formality.

Yeah once you get approved as a business sponsor you can sponsor as many
    workers as you like after that apparently...

Feelgood wrote: »
    Basically I got dropped a mail from Immi - 'Notification of approval of a business nomination' which instructed me to apply for my visa.

yeah but you didn't have to wait for this.
    It its approved you put down the approval number, if lodged you put down the request identifer. This is from the visa form.

If you think about it, you are getting sponsored because your sponsor is saying they can't find a local Australian to do the work you can do.
    That shouldn't be a problem really.
    i interview for the job along with others. Assuming at least some were australians. The fact that I got the job means that I was the best candidate for the position, and that was totall unrelated to sponsorship.
    Yeah once you get approved as a business sponsor you can sponsor as many
    workers as you like after that apparently...
    As many as you like valid for 3 years, but you can extend this 3 years by applying for a variation.
    My companies has ran out, so need to re-apply. Should be no biggie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 newtorunning

Just reading this thread and wondering how you guys got the actual nomination from the employer. Did you go to Oz job hunting or what was your procedure.
    any advice/help would be great.
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Just reading this thread and wondering how you guys got the actual nomination from the employer. Did you go to Oz job hunting or what was your procedure.
    any advice/help would be great.
    thanks

Usually they get sponsorship then nomination.
    Very unlikely to get nomination with out working there

ie. working there legally on a working holiday visa

• Advertisement

I am here 6 months, boss agreed to sponsor after a few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭laoisforliam

Hi,

I am getting sponsored by my company, hopefully soon as I have been working since early December.

Will I have to cease working once six months are up or can I get a bridging visa?

My boss is doing my performance review this week and once that is done the WA local gov association (WALGA) will be taking care of lodging my application.(I work for a small shire and they have never sponsored anyone before)

Also my g/f and I have been living together in Aus since october, we have two seperated leases with both our names on them and a joint bank account since we arrived here. will that be enough to prove defacto status?

Has anyone any reccomendations for Health Care, I have Global VHI health care would this satisfy the visa requirements?

Thank You

Hi,

I am getting sponsored by my company, hopefully soon as I have been working since early December.

Will I have to cease working once six months are up or can I get a bridging visa?
    If you apply before the 6 months are up you will automatically be put on a bridging visa, so you can continue.
    My boss is doing my performance review this week and once that is done the WA local gov association (WALGA) will be taking care of lodging my application.(I work for a small shire and they have never sponsored anyone before)

Also my g/f and I have been living together in Aus since october, we have two seperated leases with both our names on them and a joint bank account since we arrived here. will that be enough to prove defacto status?
    How long have you been going out? Usually stuff like this, photos etc are suffice
    Has anyone any reccomendations for Health Care, I have Global VHI health care would this satisfy the visa requirements?
    You don't actually need it, Ireland's reciprocal agreement is enough to cover the visa requirements (if you do a forum search you'll find loads of info)

Oh thats good, I was worried that I would have to cease work..

We are together about four years but only living together officially since we have moved to Aus so hopefully shoould have no problem there.

I was confused about the health insurance, I know about the reciprocial agreement but I have seen people in this thread talk about health insurace so I thought maybe the agreement wouldnt suffice and that you needed supplementary private health insurance..

Thanks for the info Hussey

Hey lads,

Apologies have been off the radar for a while, ended up having to fly back to the emerald isle unexpected.

Mellor, I have finally got an immigration rep on my 457 application. She has been very good. The story is that the reciprocal health agreement between Ireland and Oz is sufficient health cover for the 457 visa.

She asked that I contact medicare to confirm that there is an agreement in place with Ireland and to get back to her. I did this and she was happy enough with that.

I am however getting nailed big time on my work and my defacto relationship (Girlfriend is going under my visa).

On the work side of things:
    Detailed CV - explaining my previous roles in great detail.
    Written references from 3 previous employers with contact numbers.
    College results with a contact number of someone who can confirm my attendance and my results.
    Certificates of anything related to my occupation or any training undertaken.

On the defacto side of things.
    Joint bank account details.
    Rental or bond agreements to prove we are living together.
    Utility Bills or individual bills to the same address.
    Cards, Invitations, photographs, proof of travel, holiday tickets.
    Details of witnesses that confirm our exclusive relationship.

On top of this I was asked to supply, copies of both passports and drivers licenses if applicable.

and lastly

You need to get a public servant to confirm the information you are supplying is correct and accurate and you can't know the person. There is some name on this - I can't remember what she called it exactly. Though it can be a teacher, fireman etc.

Hope this helps and I hope my bloody visa goes through!

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭ellaq

Justice of the Peace is maybe what she meant. They are everywhere. Check online to find one in your area. They should certify everything for free.

When it comes to the defacto give them as much as you can, even things you think are not important. I also got asked for more stuff, and I gave them a large bag full of christmas cards, tickets, photos, etc. They give everything back when you are approved.

ellaq wrote: »
    Justice of the Peace is maybe what she meant.

Thats the one mate!. Couldn't think of what she called it...:)

Thanks for the info, hopefully it will get passed without any hiccups

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Jacster

hussey wrote: »
    If you apply before the 6 months are up you will automatically be put on a bridging visa, so you can continue.

Is this also true if your working with a WHV but are also applying for a PR. Can you get a bridging visa to allow you to continue working with the same employer after the six months and until the PR is granted. If so is it difficult to apply for (cant be as hard as the PR anyway).

Jacster wrote: »

Is this also true if your working with a WHV but are also applying for a PR. Can you get a bridging visa to allow you to continue working with the same employer after the six months and until the PR is granted. If so is it difficult to apply for (cant be as hard as the PR anyway).

Yes you can get a bridging visa for (PR) but only if it is ENS subclass 856 (or 857)

If you are talking about GSM 175 or 176 those are offshore, you wont get a bridging visa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 TheDudez

Hi guys,

My nimination has been approved since the 20th of March and Im still waiting on my approval for the role!

Has anyone got any idea how long more it will take before my visa is fully approved!!:)

• Advertisement

TheDudez wrote: »
    Hi guys,

My nimination has been approved since the 20th of March and Im still waiting on my approval for the role!

Has anyone got any idea how long more it will take before my visa is fully approved!!:)

details might help, job title, salary range etc, years experience
    all these have factors, as they have to look into whether Australians can do your job etc

so no time frame really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 TheDudez

hussey wrote: »
    details might help, job title, salary range etc, years experience
    all these have factors, as they have to look into whether Australians can do your job etc

so no time frame really

Ah yes but the role has already been appoved by the government for an overseas person just waiting for me to be approved !
    I also have my health insurance!

Ny nomination has been approved, (case worker mailed to say so, have to wait for SBS to official to ay so) but still waiting on the companies application to be a sponsor to be approved so they can get on to me

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭s.c

TheDudez wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I dont know how what the break down is time wise but I do know mine was approved 4 and a half weeks after lodging the application.

If your company was approved as a sponsor already (ie have they sponsored in the last 3 years) then step one is already complete. So it'll be much quicker than if it is the first time.
    I'm waiting 6 weeks for my company to get approved.

Mellor wrote: »
    If your company was approved as a sponsor already (ie have they sponsored in the last 3 years) then step one is already complete. So it'll be much quicker than if it is the first time.
    I'm waiting 6 weeks for my company to get approved.
    Mellor if you dont mind me asking, how long are you with the company? Are you on a WHV at the moment?

Im with my company 2 weeks shy of 6 months and waiting for 457 to be approved..
    The agent dealing with my application has informed me that my employer will have to terminate my employment once the 6 months is up..

Is this the way it works?
    Everyone says work with someone for 6 months it it goes well for both partiesif then they might offer sponsorship..does everyone then have to stop working at 6 months and wait for the visa to come through?

I've been with them 8 months and I'm currently on a bridging visa C (as my WHV)
    Your agent is wrong (which is a little worring). I've never heard of anyone having to quit while a visa was processing. One poster even contacted immigration and got permission to stay there after the 6 months. You could do that

Im with my company 2 weeks shy of 6 months and waiting for 457 to be approved..
    The agent dealing with my application has informed me that my employer will have to terminate my employment once the 6 months is up..

That is not true, is your agent a migration agent or work agent/recruiter
    You should be able to go onto a bridging visa and continue to work for your employer as before while the decision is pending.

I was thinking she couldnt be right so my boss made a few calls and decided to fill out a form 1005 that could change the condtions of my bridging visa and allow me to work..

Anyways just befor I was set to post the form 1005 my agent calls my boss and says that my 457 has been approved!!

I never did a medical though, is this not a little strange?

• Advertisement

I was thinking she couldnt be right so my boss made a few calls and decided to fill out a form 1005 that could change the condtions of my bridging visa and allow me to work..

Anyways just befor I was set to post the form 1005 my agent calls my boss and says that my 457 has been approved!!

I never did a medical though, is this not a little strange?

Congrats - and no medical is usually only in cases of children etc, though I did need a chest xray for my first 457 but not my 2nd

Advertisement