Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

457 Visa - Sponsorship

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,336 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I was thinking she couldnt be right so my boss made a few calls and decided to fill out a form 1005 that could change the condtions of my bridging visa and allow me to work..

Anyways just befor I was set to post the form 1005 my agent calls my boss and says that my 457 has been approved!!

I never did a medical though, is this not a little strange?
    You didn't need form 1005. You were ona bridging visa A, which you are allowed to work on.
    Form 1005 is for the like of Bridginf C or other bridging visas. You have to have a really good reason to get it approved (form 1005)

Congratz on 457 approval

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

457 granted and approved this morning, 6 months and 9 days from start to finish. :D

Just to confirm, I do not have health insurance and I did not submit any documentation regarding health insurance to Immi, nor did they ask me for any details regarding health insurance.

The reciprocal health agreement with Ireland is 100% sufficient for the 457 visa.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭witzky

@ FeelGood

Congrats on the 457..!!

Just curious how it took 6 months? I started my application on the 22nd March, got approved on 13th April, I went through agency tho.

My mate is starting his soon and is curious on the time scale of the 457 application...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Congrats Feelgood, did your GF go defacto with you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

witzky wrote: »
    @ FeelGood
    Congrats on the 457..!!
    Just curious how it took 6 months? I started my application on the 22nd March, got approved on 13th April, I went through agency tho.

Thanks witzky, I really have no idea. It took about 4 months for the business nomination to get approved. (Maybe a lazy sponsor?) When the nomination came through it took about another 3-4 weeks after that to get an Immi agent onto my case and again I got all the documents together and everything was approved another 5-6 weeks?.
    mandrake04 wrote: »
    Congrats Feelgood, did your GF go defacto with you?

Thanks mate, celebratory beers are in order I reckon!. :D The missus is on my visa alright which is probably why it took so long. Saying that I was just given a list of things to supply, photos, travel tickets, joint account etc and
    everything came straight through after that. There wasn't any questions asked at all, so maybe I just got lucky and got a decent Immi agent?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 bored reader

hi guys and ladies,
    im new to boards (posting) but have been paying attention to some excellent advice on this thread. I have read all the links and understand them pretty good but my situation is different and im looking for some advice on getting sponsored.
    to make a long story short...
    myself and gf went to aus in 2002 on whv and got offered sponsorship towards the end of year and got bridging visa. migration agent was poor and filled us with hope when he clearly couldnt get it for us. when we ultimately gave up we became illegal and worked away till 2004. i had to do witness for the queensland police in a court case which they got a crinimal justice visa for. this kept us sweet in the country until we left aus. herself got a 3 yr ban and i escaped with a pat on the back!
    my question now is can we/I get back into the country on a 457 visa as now i have relevent work exp in the area (site foreman) and also have an aus company willing to sponsor me for the role. they have sponsored regularly in the past. I was talkin to an aent this morning who sounds hopeful (they all are) but i didnt tell him about our history in aus. also tax outstanding since 04. 7 years have passed and i see somewhere that they will forgive such sins if the case is strong enough. the qld police should turn this into a positive im hoping. looking forward to your responses, not the easiest to call i know but all imput will be appriciated. would i be better applying myself first to get the 'foot in the door'
    kind regards
    BR

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

Quick question: is it possible for government jobs? I.e. Would a government department sponsor somebody, or is it private companies only?

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭laoisforliam

I'm sponsored by a local authority so its possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 joe9joe9

Just to confirm regarding the six months issue on WHV (while waiting for application of 457 visa to be approved).

You do have to cease working after six months, and are not entitled to a bridging visa UNLESS:

It means you will have to leave the country if you are not put on a bridging visa (i.e. If your WHV is running up. If you still have, say, 6 months left on your WHV then they will not/cannot put you on a bridging visa).

The other alternative is for your employer to request an extension to your six month period due to work reasons (as someone in Immigration told me, an example may be a doctor carrying out surgery on a patient or a lawyer working on an ongoing case. They will not approve this unless it is absolutely necessary).

I have checked and double checked this with Immigration.
    See the two attachments.

Nobody said any different joejoe??????
    If you have applied for a visa, and your current visa runs out, you get a bridging visa, its the same if applying for a 2nd WHV.
    You don't have to apply separately for one as an application for a substantive visa is also regarded as an application for a BV.

Applying for an extension to the 6 month rule isn't as strict as they make out.

In reality, they don't seem to worry about people past the 6 months if they have applied for another visa, even if its not strictly the case under the terms of their current visa. If it was a lot of time and you had to apply for an extension, then currently having a 457 lodged is a pretty solid reason imo. They aren't as hard nosed as peopel make out,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 joe9joe9

hussey wrote: »
    If you apply before the 6 months are up you will automatically be put on a bridging visa, so you can continue.

I was correcting the above.

The question related to whether you have to cease working after 6 months with an employer (presumably while still on a current visa). It wasn't mentioned about a visa running up so I was explaining that they dont put you on a Bridging Visa if your (Working Holiday) Visa is still current.

Never tried to get the extension on the 6months (with one employer) on a WHV, but Immigration certainly tried to give me the impression that it was a long-shot.

I know somebody who got it, they certainly weren't a doctor prepared for surgery or a lawyer familar with a case. Rather easily replaced, but the employer wrote a letter describing how good an employee they were and they they were irreplacable (in a figurative sense)

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭s.c

joe9joe9 wrote: »
    Just to confirm regarding the six months issue on WHV (while waiting for application of 457 visa to be approved).

You do have to cease working after six months, and are not entitled to a bridging visa UNLESS:

It means you will have to leave the country if you are not put on a bridging visa (i.e. If your WHV is running up. If you still have, say, 6 months left on your WHV then they will not/cannot put you on a bridging visa).

The other alternative is for your employer to request an extension to your six month period due to work reasons (as someone in Immigration told me, an example may be a doctor carrying out surgery on a patient or a lawyer working on an ongoing case. They will not approve this unless it is absolutely necessary).

I have checked and double checked this with Immigration.
    See the two attachments.

This is correct. These has been some misleading information given in this thread and others before.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭gazmc18

HI guys

Another 457 question for you,
    I am after getting offered a job in oz (iam in Ireland at the moment). But i have to go out on a WHV to work for the company for 2 months before they will actually process the actual sponsorship. (basically a trial period)
    My partner is too old for a WHV and was hoping to travel on a tourist visa until my sponsorship goes through, but if i get sponsored can i transfer her from the tourist visa onto the 457 as de facto partner while in Oz?

Also what would happen if the tourist visa had one of the "no additional stay" clause's on it? WOuld this prevent me from putting her on my 457?

Hope this makes sense, cant seem to find what iam asking about online at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

And another one,

For people who were recruited from Ireland, what websites did you visit for jobs? Any recommendations for sites where there are opportunities for sponsorship?

gazmc18 wrote: »
    HI guys

Another 457 question for you,
    I am after getting offered a job in oz (iam in Ireland at the moment). But i have to go out on a WHV to work for the company for 2 months before they will actually process the actual sponsorship. (basically a trial period)
    My partner is too old for a WHV and was hoping to travel on a tourist visa until my sponsorship goes through, but if i get sponsored can i transfer her from the tourist visa onto the 457 as de facto partner while in Oz?

Also what would happen if the tourist visa had one of the "no additional stay" clause's on it? WOuld this prevent me from putting her on my 457?

Hope this makes sense, cant seem to find what iam asking about online at all.
    They couldn't be be transfered over to a 457, they'd have to be outside the country.

But tis not going to vome up wither, assuming they come over with you. You get set up, do your 2 months, put together sponsorship application. the tourist visa will run out before the 457 is approved. There's 6 mon options, but still wouldn't allow a transfer.

Best options are either wait for 3 months, or come out with you, go home and return when approved

They couldn't be be transfered over to a 457, they'd have to be outside the country.

But tis not going to vome up wither, assuming they come over with you. You get set up, do your 2 months, put together sponsorship application. the tourist visa will run out before the 457 is approved. There's 6 mon options, but still wouldn't allow a transfer.

Best options are either wait for 3 months, or come out with you, go home and return when approved

Thanks Mellor!
    Really the only options are she stays at home and comes out when sponsorship goes through or come out with me and goes home again, then comes back out?

Is this definintly the case for sure?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Brown Trout

I am wondering about whether the working holiday visa becomes obsolete once the 457 visa if granted. Reason for asking is that if I leave a job after a few months and don't get sponsored by another company, I think I will be illegal while travelling. Or does the remainder of the working holiday visa kick back in once the sponsorship is ended??

Thanks Mellor!
    Really the only options are she stays at home and comes out when sponsorship goes through or come out with me and goes home again, then comes back out?

Is this definintly the case for sure?

The rules are very clear on this
    An applicant seeking to overstay their visitor visa or to remain in Australia on a subsequent visa is not considered a genuine visitor.

http://www.immi.gov.au/gateways/agents/pdf/subclass-457-visitors.pdf

I am wondering about whether the working holiday visa becomes obsolete once the 457 visa if granted. Reason for asking is that if I leave a job after a few months and don't get sponsored by another company, I think I will be illegal while travelling. Or does the remainder of the working holiday visa kick back in once the sponsorship is ended??

your WHV would have been canceled* when your 457 visa was granted, if you leave your job you have 28 days to find a new sponsoring employer or leave the country.

*When a visa is cancelled it's gone

• Advertisement

If you are planning on leaving them after a few months then sponsorship isn't a great option

Thanks for the replys guys.

An applicant seeking to overstay their visitor visa or to remain in Australia on a subsequent visa is not considered a genuine visitor.

I dont think they are too clear on this in many ways tbh. It would be easier to say you cannot obtain any other visa while on a tourist visa, including a de-facto on a 457.

E.g you could take a 6 month holiday to Australia and fully expecting to return home at the end of your holiday. (this would mean you are a genuine visitor). In the meantime your partner got offered a job with sponsorship as he was working on a WHV to help fund the 6 month holiday. Surely this does not mean you are not a genuine visitor just because you got offered sponsorship?
    In this case would the person applying for de-facto still have to leave the country even if the sponsorship came back within the 6 month time frame of the original tourist visa?

Thanks again lads you have been very helpful

Thanks for the replys guys.

I dont think they are too clear on this in many ways tbh. It would be easier to say you cannot obtain any other visa while on a tourist visa, including a de-facto on a 457.

E.g you could take a 6 month holiday to Australia and fully expecting to return home at the end of your holiday. (this would mean you are a genuine visitor). In the meantime your partner got offered a job with sponsorship as he was working on a WHV to help fund the 6 month holiday. Surely this does not mean you are not a genuine visitor just because you got offered sponsorship?

Thanks again lads you have been very helpful

Well its pretty clear that when it comes to this stuff if you don't do the right thing the consequences is a 3 year ban.

Think about it..... immigration did not go to the bother of producing and posting that document for nothing.

In this case would the person applying for de-facto still have to leave the country even if the sponsorship came back within the 6 month time frame of the original tourist visa?

As Mellor says they might refuse to accept or just reject her (your) visa application if she she is still holding her visitor visa, her best bet is to leave Australia then you lodge the application and she waits for it to be processed and then she flies back out again.

Or she just stays put in Ireland until its all done and dusted.

Also I would not rely on the employer busting their ass to lodge the application exactly on the 60th day, that would be rather naive. When it comes to sponsorship, employers, agents and immigration the wheels turn very slowly.

Thanks Mandrake.

I heard that your immirgration case officer can actually tell you when they are about to process your application so you can leave the country in time (go to new zealand or something), only be out for a few days and then return?
    Anybody know if this is true?

They can do, but I that's when you are on a WHV or a 457 and are applying for an offshore residency visa. Not sure about a holiday visa. You could be lookign at problems the minute you apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 energyratinghom

sNarah wrote: »
    And another one,

For people who were recruited from Ireland, what websites did you visit for jobs? Any recommendations for sites where there are opportunities for sponsorship?

Looking for the answer to sNarah's question too......

Can any one point to the website where we can see the jobs that are sponsored?

There really isn't one. Companies rarely actively look to sponsor somebody. They advertise a job and you'd have to approach them. The majority of people get a job on a different visa, then come to a sponsorship arrangement. Being familiar with the company is what makes them more suitable than a local.

And before somebody posts about how their BF or cousin got sponsored from Ireland, i said rarely not never

There have been a few dubious websites knocking around offering to find sponsors for a monthly fee, and there are people stupid enough to pay it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 energyratinghom

Thanks for that - Yes that makes sence - why pay additional cost to secure the right person, when they may already be in the country.

I am starting to look for Visa Advisors at the moment (Family with 2 chislers) and also have started looking at recruitment posts in Oz, but keep getting the same requirement that only Visa holders apply.

I was thinking of sending CV any way, saying that I am applying for VISA and that to consider my CV for the position (but I dont know how long the VISA application process takes, so am I wasting my time (and the recruiters) ?

Advice appreciated - only at the beginning of our journey to securing work in OZ (Aiming at Feb 2012).

Cheers lads,

ERH

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭top madra

Old thread, but i just found it.....

How do I get work references certified, can I get them posted over here and then bring them to a Justice of the peace etc?

Advertisement