Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

457 Visa - Sponsorship

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

top madra wrote: »
    Old thread, but i just found it.....

How do I get work references certified, can I get them posted over here and then bring them to a Justice of the peace etc?

I don't think you need work references certified for 457?!? PR yes but not sponsorship.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭top madra

I've no idea, it's on page one..

• Registered Users Posts: 39,336 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I've no idea, it's on page one..
    They aren't required for 457, or at elast were when I did it.
    That post was a copy from somebodys visa agent. In my exp, it's pretty common for agents to include unnecessary extras like that to pad out the work they appear to do. Similar to the way USIT pad out WHVs with "extras"

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭HHH

I received my 457 visa in December 2013. No work references needed.

Mellor wrote: »
    They aren't required for 457, or at elast were when I did it.
    That post was a copy from somebodys visa agent. In my exp, it's pretty common for agents to include unnecessary extras like that to pad out the work they appear to do. Similar to the way USIT pad out WHVs with "extras"

Oh ok cool..

Could you give me a rundown of some of the things I have to gather then if you don't mind..

My employer has applied to see if he's eligible to sponsor and if that's successful we are going ahead with it. He's doing all his part himself so it's kinda madness for me to pay a couple of grand just for my part of it so I want to do it myself too..

But tbf I'm a bit clueless about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

But tbf I'm a bit clueless about it.

And that's why it's usually a better plan to pay people to do it for you.

ArseBurger wrote: »
    And that's why it's usually a better plan to pay people to do it for you.

But it can hardly be rocket science.

Paying someone 2k+ to fill in the dots for me seems like a senseless waste of money.

If I can't do it I'll consider it then.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭vill@in

Hi guys,
    Was reading through the earlier posts in this thread and it seems from comments that the reciprocal agreement is sufficient that an Irish person doesn't need an additional health insurance policy when applying for a 457.

I am going through the sponsorship process atm and the lawyers advising my employers say I need health insurance. Is it because people from RoI don't get Medicare?

I don't want to contradict the "experts" - anyone want to confirm which is correct. Do I need health insurance or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭6ix

You don't need it. The reciprocal agreement between the ROI and Australia is definitely sufficient cover for purposes of a 457.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

Anyone here have any experience going from a 457 to de facto? I've emailed my agent who did my 457 application but I'd like to hear first hand from anyone who maybe has done it themselves? I'm guessing its a simpler process the applying for a 457. Proving we've been in a relationship for longer then a year would be easy enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,336 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

vill@in wrote: »
    I need health insurance. Is it because people from RoI don't get Medicare?
    Medicare doesn't come into it. If you have a reciprocal agreement (medicare or non-medicare) you don't need insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭vill@in

Thanks for the comments folks. I will raise this with my employers to check with the lawyers/advisors but can any one point in the direction of formal confirmation of this?

I've had a look at the immigration website, and have only found the following:
    http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/457-health-insurance-faq-visa-holder.htm

"Being enrolled with Medicare under reciprocal health care arrangements is sufficient to meet the health insurance requirement at visa grant and to comply with visa condition 8501". As far as I was aware, people from RoI are not entitled to a Medicare card, so how exactly do I prove it to my employers that I do not need a separate Policy. I'd hope to have a little more that "the kind people of Boards.ie told me" :D :P

Advertisement