Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Top 10 Best Ever List?

Options
  • 08-03-2011 10:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭

http://kotaku.com/#!5778982/the-10-best-video-games-of-all-time-to-be-decided-again-at-pax-east-2011
    PAX EAST

The 10 Best Video Games Of All Time To Be Decided Again At PAX East 2011
    Michael McWhertor — Going to PAX East? So is Kotaku's own Stephen Totilo, where he will join Newsweek alum N'Gai Croal in sorting out which video games deserve to be included in the ten best of all time.

"Canon Fodder Season 3" will continue the list-sorting drama that ended last year with Doom ranked in the #1 spot after displacing The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. To catch up on the ranking, as decided by gaming's finest creators (with bonus suggestions from PAX attendees), don't miss the wrap ups of Canon Fodder seasons one and two.

Games are added, deleted or re-ranked one move at a time by gaming luminaries like Peter Molynuex, Patric Desilets, Todd Howard, Ian Bogost and many more.

The panel where gaming's greatest are decided by gaming's greatest happens at the Manticore Theatre
    Friday, 11:00am - 12:00pm at PAX East 2011. Join Kotaku's Stephen Totilo and Hit Detection's N'Gai Croal for all the top ten turmoil!

What games would you think they could remove from the list? And what could be number 1?

I think there has to be a mario (or more) game in there though.

Maybe Zelda................WoW (I don't play it just wondering would they base it on sales or just trend-setters?).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

Not a great list really but one that stands out to be removed is WoW definitely.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

A list that ISN'T voted on by GameFAQs cretins?

JOY!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's an interesting way to do it but I'd still rather a list by a group of experts which means the only top games of all time list I actually somewhat agree with is gamespites.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,000 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

A top 10 games list is impossible. Anyone who thinks it's possible should automatically be disqualified from making one as the knowledge you would need to do so would lead to you to realize that such a list is in fact impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

RockPaperShotgun did an interesting list recently

Though it's PC specific there are a few multiplatform games in there but obvioulsy console exclusives will not show up.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Though it's PC specific there are a few multiplatform games in there but obvioulsy console exclusives will not show up.

Great list there. Also like how it's a list of important games, not necessarily the best.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,478 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Great list there. Also like how it's a list of important games, not necessarily the best.

Thing is if you're making a list of 'the best' anything, it's indeed important to focus on what's actually been important in advancing the medium.

When it comes to film, people voting the Shawshank Redemption number one is a bit misguided IMO, because while it might be their favourite, it wasn't all that important in the overall scheme of things. Having Citizen Kane as number one - pretentious and predictable as that choice is - technically it was far more important to the advancement of cinema.

Of course, there are some games that are overall so fantastic that they deserve to be included in debates. But Doom or Wolfenstein had more of a significant effect on games in general than Half-Life, for example, so they deserve their credit too. They may have aged badly in many respects, but you can't forget their influence either.

Like this 'make a list by panel discussion' idea, it's a nice change from the norm of some random blogger putting up their ever predictable top ten!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Good list, Operation Flashpoint deserves a mention too I think.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

"Move 24 by Jaime Griesemer
    Game Designer At Bungie Studios

8. Removed StarCraft / Added: Mega Man 2"

ahhhh bungie.

some of the guys they have making the list are guys who's opinions I really couldnt give a sh1t about. the guys behind the modern warfare games? ooohhhhhh......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Funky wrote: »
    Not a great list really but one that stands out to be removed is WoW definitely.

Why?

It's the most popular mmo ever made. Six years running with millions of subscribers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

we're in the process of a top 100 at the moment, so far we've published 100-26. it was bloody tough, and im sure nobody will agree with it, but im still right

100: Pilotwings (SNES, 1992)
    99: Sega Rally Championship (Arcade, 1995)
    98: Batty (Commodore 64, 1987)
    97: X-Men Origins: Wolverine (Various, 2009)
    96: Flashback (Various, 1992)
    95: Kenny Dalglish Soccer Manager (Commodore 64, 1990)
    94: Lemmings (Various, 1991)
    93: Gauntlet (Various, 1985)
    92: StarWing (SNES, 1993)
    91: Earthworm Jim (Various, 1994)
    90: The Great Giana Sisters (Various, 1987)
    89: Mutant League Football (Mega Drive, 1993)
    88: Gears of War (Xbox 360, 2006)
    87: Virtua Cop (Arcade, 1994)
    86: Snake (Mobile, 1998)
    85: Super International Cricket (SNES, 1994)
    84: Luigi’s Mansion (Game Cube, 2002)
    83: Ecco the Dolphin (Mega Drive, 1994)
    82: Creatures II: Torture Trouble (Commodore 64, 1992)
    81: Championship Manager 01/02 (PC, 2001)
    80: Perfect Dark (N64, 2000)
    79: Puzzle Bobble (Arcade, 1994)
    78: UniRally (SNES, 1995)
    77: Microprose Soccer (C64, 1989)
    76: Earth Defense Force 2017 (Xbox, 2007)
    75: The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion (Xbox & PC, 2006)
    74: Body Harvest (N64, 1998)
    73: Crazy Taxi (Dreamcast, 2000)
    72: Wipeout 2097 (PlayStation, 1996)
    71: Rainbow Islands (Amiga, 1987)
    70: Star Wars Dark Forces (PC, 1995)
    69: Road Rash II (Mega Drive, 1993)
    68: Rock n’ Roll Racing (SNES, 1993)
    67: Outcast (PC, 1999)
    66: Cannon Fodder (Amiga, 1993)
    65: Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction (PS3, 2007)
    64: Age of Empires (PC, 1997)
    63: FIFA International Soccer (Mega Drive, 1993)
    62: Soul Calibur (Dreamcast, 1999)
    61: Tetris (Game Boy, 1989)
    60: Mayhem in Monsterland (C64, 1993)
    59: Shadow Complex (XBLA, 2009)
    58: Mafia (PC, 2002)
    57: Twisted Metal Black (PS2, 2001)
    56: Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune (PS3, 2007)
    55: Mortal Kombat II (SNES, 1994)
    54: Need for Speed Most Wanted (Xbox 360, 2005)
    53: Braid (XBLA, 2008)
    52: Worms 2 (PC, 1998)
    51: Streets of Rage 2 (Mega Drive, 1993)
    50: Doom (PC, 1993)
    49: Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (Various, 2007)
    48: Virtua Fighter 2 (Arcade, 1994)
    47: Donkey Kong Country (SNES, 1994)
    46: Fallout 3(Various, 2008)
    45: International Superstar Soccer Deluxe (SNES, 1996)
    44: Burnout Revenge (Xbox, 2003)
    43: Micro Machines 2: Turbo Tournament (Mega Drive, 1994)
    42: Demon’s Souls (PS3, 2010)
    41: Tomb Raider (Various, 1996)
    40: System Shock 2 (PC, 1999)
    39: F-Zero (SNES, 1992)
    38: Rock Band 3 (Various, 2010)
    37: God of War (PS2, 2005)
    36: Peggle (PC, 2007)
    35: Super Meat Boy
    34: Tekken 2 (PlayStation, 1996)
    33: Sensible World of Soccer (PC, 1994)
    32: ICO (PS2, 2002)
    31: World of Warcraft (PC, 2005)
    30: Assassin’s Creed 2 (Various, 2009)
    29: Deus Ex (PC, 2000)
    28: Elite (Various, 1984)
    27: Metroid Prime (GameCube, 2003)
    26: Half Life (PC, 1998)

Super Meat Boy is not better then Doom

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

Why?

It's the most popular mmo ever made. Six years running with millions of subscribers

Because I don't think it's anywhere near being in the top 10 games ever made. Don't get me wrong, it's good, I played it for years. But a financial success doesn't make it a groundbreaking game really. It's mostly built on ideas from other games and they did a good job at hooking a wide variety of gamers from super casual to super hardcore. But even as far as MMOs go, UO or DAoC should place higher than WoW on a list like this, in my opinion.

Master of the Universe

Helix wrote: »
    im sure nobody will agree with it, but im still right

Fair play to you for trying to come up with a list..even if people don't agree, it takes a load of effort.

However, whoever put Rock n' Roll Racing in that list should be shot :p Awful racing game where they just decided last minute to tack on a gimmicky soundtrack when they realized how boring the game was.

Also, you've got Puzzle Bobble down as 'arcade' But then you have Mortal Kombat 2 down as 'snes'.

If you're including arcade hardware, then Mortal Kombat 2 should be arcade and not Snes as obviously the arcade version is far better than any home ports.

Actually you could also say the same about some of your Dreamcast games too like Crazy Taxi.

Thing is if you're making a list of 'the best' anything, it's indeed important to focus on what's actually been important in advancing the medium.

Not in my opinion. Something like goldeneye might have been very important to the medium but it's a bit of a dog to play now. It deserve to be written about in how important it was but celebrated as one of the best ever, in my opinion it needs to be a good game to get that accolade.

The dreamcast actually improved on most of it's arcade ports so it's fair to include it but definitely MK2 arcade is better than the SNES port. In my opinion MK2 should be nowhere near that list considering far far better beat'em ups like Garou Mark of the Wolves, MvsC 2, SF3 Third Strike, Samurai Showdown 2 etc. are left off it.

I see Daniels influence in that list Helix with Outcast making it :)

EDF 2017 is a great game as well but the second in the series Global Defence Force on the PS2 is much better. It is the same type of game with 4 times the weapons, twice the amount of levels, 3 times the amount of different enemies and more bosses and a second playable character with a jetpack and her own weapons that changes how the game is played and makes it even more fun.

Any way I'm nit picking, not a bad list.

o1s1n wrote: »
    Fair play to you for trying to come up with a list..even if people don't agree, it takes a load of effort.

However, whoever put Rock n' Roll Racing in that list should be shot :p Awful racing game where they just decided last minute to tack on a gimmicky soundtrack when they realized how boring the game was.

Also, you've got Puzzle Bobble down as 'arcade' But then you have Mortal Kombat 2 down as 'snes'.

If you're including arcade hardware, then Mortal Kombat 2 should be arcade and not Snes as obviously the arcade version is far better than any home ports.

Actually you could also say the same about some of your Dreamcast games too like Crazy Taxi.

format is based on personal experience for format most played. im not gonna put crazy taxi down for arcade when ive never played it in the arcade, for example.

like any list, its personal preference, so rnrr goes in there

Jazzy wrote: »
    Super Meat Boy is not better then Doom

super meat boy is most certainly better than doom

doom was more influential, and at the time was groundbreaking and absolutely brilliant, but its not a most influential games that at the time were groundbreaking and absolutely brilliant list

super meat boy is most certainly better than doom

doom was more influential, and at the time was groundbreaking and absolutely brilliant, but its not a most influential games that at the time were groundbreaking and absolutely brilliant list

then why not have Doom 2 which was 'better' then Doom 1?

Jazzy wrote: »
    then why not have Doom 2 which was 'better' then Doom 1?

because i picked doom 1

youre not getting this "personal preference" thing at all are you

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Hercule

I am a bit confused about these kind lists, As Jazzy pointed out in almost every relevant criteria I can think of Doom > Super Meat Boy - heck even the graphics are kinda "better" - should'nt be saying that about a game that is this old.

You then choose games like Wipeout 2097 and Tekken 2 - what made these games place higher then their superior sequels Wip3out or Tekken 3?

^ my old post which you kinda answered while I typed it

It leaves me a bit bewildered as to what the criteria was not saying its "wrong" just confused as to how it was judged

Is it:

"top 100 games of all time (ranked in order of how good a game is if all of them were released on the same day regardless of original release date)"

or

"top 100 games of all time (ranked in order of the influence they have over my gaming experience or gaming as a medium)

or

"top 100 games of all time (ranked in order of critical acclaim/public opinion at the time they were launched)

or a quasi-chart of all 3 mixed together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Half Life at number 26! :eek: Looking forward to seeing the remaining games now :)

Hercule wrote: »
    It leaves me a bit bewildered as to what the criteria was

criterie is quite easy: the games i consider to be the top 100 of all time in descending numberical from 100 to 1, with 1 being the game i consider the best

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Not in my opinion. Something like goldeneye might have been very important to the medium but it's a bit of a dog to play now. It deserve to be written about in how important it was but celebrated as one of the best ever, in my opinion it needs to be a good game to get that accolade.

I'd tend to agree. Important and good games both deserve to be recognised but the aim of any given list or accolade has to be made clear, something that rarely happens. Best is far too vague a term on it's own to suffice as a description of what a list is aiming to collate.

Take a hypothetical list of the 'best' consoles of all time - it'd be hard to say the Atari 2600 and NES weren't the two most essential consoles ever made but that's hardly an indication that either is better than the SNES or Xbox 360. The same applies to games.

Master of the Universe

format is based on personal experience for format most played. im not gonna put crazy taxi down for arcade when ive never played it in the arcade, for example.

like any list, its personal preference, so rnrr goes in there

In my defense, you did say 'we're in the process of a top 100 at the moment'.

I thought that 'we're' meant a group of people (ruling out personal preference and being more objective) and not in fact the Queen's 'we' :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

I thought that 'we're' meant a group of people (ruling out personal preference and being more objective) and not in fact the Queen's 'we' :p

More people rarely means more objectivity, just that the more radical choices get pushed downwards by popular consensus.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Hercule

criterie is quite easy: the games i consider to be the top 100 of all time in descending numberical from 100 to 1, with 1 being the game i consider the best

:rolleyes: smartass, you know that doesnt really answer the question - you coulda just said ""top 100 games of all time (ranked in order of the influence they have over my gaming experience) cus thats what that is + Since its a list personal to you, its not something anyone else usually cares about. When magazines/sites try to make em then this is a different kettle of fish

The double "we're" is what set me on that confused track anyway.

Tends to be the problem with these lists. It's impossible to have people that have played every game imagineable. There's a few games I have played that I would consider some of the greatest of all time but so few people have played them that you never see them on these types of lists. You'll get obscure games totally left out for less deserving popular titles. It's why I prefer lists from single individuals who I respect the opinion of and explain their reasoning or a groupof people that would know a lot about games. It's still not perfect. You'll get american lists with home micro's completely ignored and most lists never give the PC it's due.

Hercule wrote: »
    :rolleyes: smartass, you know that doesnt really answer the question - you coulda just said ""top 100 games of all time (ranked in order of the influence they have over my gaming experience) cus thats what that is + Since its a list personal to you, its not something anyone else usually cares about. When magazines/sites try to make em then this is a different kettle of fish

The double "we're" is what set me on that confused track anyway.

is now the appropriate time to point out i write for a magazine and this is an ongoing feature?

it wasnt solely my own list, just predominantly

i got a bit of help

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,478 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Syferus wrote: »
    I'd tend to agree. Important and good games both deserve to be recognised but the aim of any given list or accolade has to be made clear, something that rarely happens.

Take a hypothetical list of the 'top' consoles of all time - it'd be hard to say the Atari 2600 and NES weren't the two most essential consoles ever made but that's hardly an indication that either is better than the SNES or Xbox 360. The same applies to games.

Problem with games is that - at a basic mechanical level - they're always getting better. There are plenty of persuasive arguments that plenty of older games don't have matches these days - 2D games particularly have fallen out of fashion and hence the best examples remain the best examples - the Metroids, Mega Mans, Marios, whatevers. But at the same time, basic FPS mechanics are always improving. The level design and mechanics of Bulletstorm or Half-Life 2 are most certainly better than Doom. Does that mean we should ignore Doom? Similarly, there are a tonne of console FPS games better than Goldeneye, but can we ignore the influence?

It's a tricky argument, and one which really boils down to the simple fact that people making these lists should emphasize what exactly the list is looking at, as pointed out above. Most influential? Overall best now in 2011? Best at the time? Because unlike books, film or art (more correctly: the best of them) games can age rather quickly, what was cutting edge in 2001 now quaint and occasionally unplayable. Particularly in 3D games, pioneers like Tomb Raider original games have aged badly - but there's no denying the early hardware and software paved the way, and hence probably deserve recognition when looking back at gaming's short history.

Advertisement