Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Top 10 Best Ever List?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

also, just for the record, theres approximately 100 words to accomplany each game included in the list, justifying its presence

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The level design and mechanics of Bulletstorm or Half-Life 2 are most certainly better than Doom. Does that mean we should ignore Doom?

Have to disagree here. I think Doom is still very relavent. Have you played it lately on the PC because it's still an amazing game with amazing level design. There's also no other game out there like it so it has never been bettered. Except by Doom 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Hercule

mapdesign.jpg

case in point - still regularly fly through doom1 & doom2 to chill while not playing competitive games

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,478 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Have to disagree here. I think Doom is still very relavent. Have you played it lately on the PC because it's still an amazing game with amazing level design. There's also no other game out there like it so it has never been bettered. Except by Doom 2.

Sorry level design was unfair. A better example would be Wolfenstein actually - which I have played recently and despite the open level design is a bit of a confusing, basic mess on occasion. Goldeneye too. Later FPS games have much improved on the basic mechanics, but the initial impact of the older games is massively important.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

The topic of "Top 10 games ever" is a stupid one and the only messure you can really use is sales.. which most certainly means nothing.

I know what my top 10 are... im sure alot of people would disagree but to me they are my favorite games that i've played.

Games like WoW and HL (The combined experience with the mods included) are without a doubt in the top 5 for me, they are probably the 2 games that have sucked people in the most. Average play time per person on those games must be insane..

Outside those 2 you'd have to include Ocarina of Time and then the rest are very debateble.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Magill wrote: »
    Outside those 2 you'd have to include Ocarina of Time and then the rest are very debateble.

Give me Link to the Past over it any day!

Give me Link to the Past over it any day!

Well... opinions. I'd have both of them in my top 10, but i'd say its pretty obvious which most people would put first. Link to the past is great.. but in terms of pure enjoyment and hours spent... Ocarina of time is far ahead.

Well I thought it would be pretty obvious Link to the Past would be considered the more enjoyable game. :) Ocarina wouldn't even make my top ten as much as I love it. I'd take Majoras Mask over it as well.

Anyway anyone that doesn't have Super Metroid in their top ten has lost my respect :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Helix wrote: »
    because i picked doom 1

youre not getting this "personal preference" thing at all are you

i am, but i think you are going halvsies. some things seem to be on because of what they are and what they did for games, others out of preference. why f-zero and not gx? one is definately better then the other but the older one gets in.
    i find these lists pretty impossible to make though because you are constantly changing your mind and nothings definitive. top 5/10 lists are easier

• Registered Users Posts: 35,000 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Well... opinions. I'd have both of them in my top 10, but i'd say its pretty obvious which most people would put first. Link to the past is great.. but in terms of pure enjoyment and hours spent... Ocarina of time is far ahead.

I wouldn't say 'it's pretty obvious' at all.

Here's the thing about Ocarina of Time and A Link to the Past that I've picked up from talking to people about the two.

Many people who played A Link to the Past when it came out back in 92 absolutely treasure it as one of the best gaming experiences of their life. (I know I do)

People who were too young to have experienced that first hand but maybe got Ocarina of Time for christmas when they were 10, treasures THAT as one of the best gaming experiences of their life.

The thing about the people in the Ocarina camp is they grew up on 3D games, so more than likely can't appreciate ALTTP in the same way that people who were brought up with sprites can.

A Link to the Past would be in my top 5 games. Ocarina of Time wouldn't even be in my top 20.

• Advertisement

o1s1n wrote: »
    I wouldn't say 'it's pretty obvious' at all.

Here's the thing about Ocarina of Time and A Link to the Past that I've picked up from talking to people about the two.

Many people who played A Link to the Past when it came out back in 92 absolutely treasure it as one of the best gaming experiences of their life. (I know I do)

People who were too young to have experienced that first hand but maybe got Ocarina of Time for christmas when they were 10, treasures THAT as one of the best gaming experiences of their life.

The thing about the people in the Ocarina camp is they grew up on 3D games, so more than likely can't appreciate ALTTP in the same way that people who were brought up with sprites can.

A Link to the Past would be in my top 5 games. Ocarina of Time wouldn't even be in my top 20.

I guess its all just down to the person really, which is why these lists are stupid like i've said. Ocarina of time not being in your top 20 is silly tho and i dont believe you :)

I would have played a link to the past when i was 7 or 8 i guess... a couple of years after release (We weren't rich so new releases were christmas time only :D) and i loved it, would have completed it a few times right up until n64 was released.

Ocarina of time was something else tho(Would have been 11-12)... probably the game i remember playing the most as a child tbh. There was so much to do in the game, i spent a long time trying to catch a loach :D

I wouldnt say i dont appricate ALTTP tho, My first gaming memories would be the orginal mario bros for the nintendo and the legend of zelda... even tho they were released just before i was born.

What age were you when you played both ? Because like you said that is probably the biggest factor when it comes to these sort of things.. like with music and anything else... the games that we have the fondest memories of are those we played as a child.

I rate super mario world + mario 2 (Yeah yeah.. i loved it) over mario 64 (Which i absolutely loved aswel).

Played a small bit of link to the past when it came out however it wasn't until the GBA version that I owned it so could play it and beat it. I played Ocarina before it and beat it in my friends house when it came out. So I played LttP after Ocarina and much preferred it. Ocarina really is amazing but I've played better games including A link to the Past. Prehaps I've just played more games than you but there's plenty of games I'd put ahead of it despite thinking it is one of the best games ever made and a monumental success.

Played a small bit of link to the past when it came out however it wasn't until the GBA version that I owned it so could play it and beat it. I played Ocarina before it and beat it in my friends house when it came out. So I played LttP after Ocarina and much preferred it. Ocarina really is amazing but I've played better games including A link to the Past. Prehaps I've just played more games than you but there's plenty of games I'd put ahead of it despite thinking it is one of the best games ever made and a monumental success.

Again... they are better in your opinion.. i mean what makes them better ? Are they technically better ? Is the gameplay/graphics/story a notch above ? or did you just enjoy them more than the zelda games ?. I know you've got a wierd taste in games, you like all those Jrpg's... which i personally dont like and wouldn't rate very highly at all but i know alot of people do...

I doubt its because you've played more games than me. Give me a few games that you rate above Ocarina of time and i'll tell you what i thought of them.

Hmm better than Ocarina of Time would be Link to the Past, Super Metroid, F-Zero GX, Bubble Bobble, Puyo Puyo, Mother 3, Earthbound, Gunstar Heroes, Silent Hill 2, Shadow of the Colossus, Gradius V Radiant Silvergun, Street Fighter 3 3rd Strike, Half-Life 2, Panzer Dragoon Saga, Mario Bros 3, R-type, just off the top of my head.

Why I think Ocarina isn't as good as LttP is that Ocarina is a little rough in places. There some parts that don't really work that well although most of the time it works great. It's also a remake of LttP is 3D really. I think that LttP is perfectly designed and one of the few games along with Super Metroid that I can't find any fault in. It does everything Ocarina of time does and does it better in an amazing 2D engine rather than a kind of rough 3D engine. And when I say rough 3D engine I don't mean graphics and asthetics, I mean it's a bit primitive. If you do want to bring graphcis into it then LttP is going to win out there. It's one of the best looking 2D games ever and much better looking than the primitive 3D of Ocarina.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Jazzy wrote: »
    i am, but i think you are going halvsies. some things seem to be on because of what they are and what they did for games, others out of preference. why f-zero and not gx? one is definately better then the other but the older one gets in.

in the case of older ones being there instead of newer ones, its because i enjoyed the older ones more, essentially

Hmm better than Ocarina of Time would be Link to the Past, Super Metroid, F-Zero GX, Bubble Bobble, Puyo Puyo, Mother 3, Earthbound, Gunstar Heroes, Silent Hill 2, Shadow of the Colossus, Gradius V Radiant Silvergun, Street Fighter 3 3rd Strike, Half-Life 2, Panzer Dragoon Saga, Mario Bros 3, R-type, just off the top of my head.

Why I think Ocarina isn't as good as LttP is that Ocarina is a little rough in places. There some parts that don't really work that well although most of the time it works great. It's also a remake of LttP is 3D really. I think that LttP is perfectly designed and one of the few games along with Super Metroid that I can't find any fault in. It does everything Ocarina of time does and does it better in an amazing 2D engine rather than a kind of rough 3D engine. And when I say rough 3D engine I don't mean graphics and asthetics, I mean it's a bit primitive. If you do want to bring graphcis into it then LttP is going to win out there. It's one of the best looking 2D games ever and much better looking than the primitive 3D of Ocarina.

Out of all those games you've listed i would only have HL2 ahead of OOT, and not because of the actual game but because of the mods that came with it and for that reason HL1 would be ahead of HL2 aswel. For me OOT is in my top 5, LttP is probably in my top 10 or thereabouts. The rest of those games i wouldn't have in my top 20(Yes i've played most of them)... with the exception of SOTC.

Its an age thing imo :)

Master of the Universe

I guess its all just down to the person really, which is why these lists are stupid like i've said. Ocarina of time not being in your top 20 is silly tho and i dont believe you :)

It's not and I'll tell you why. When it comes to what people think are the best games ever, there are a lot of unfair factors. Things like media saturation. Obviously lots of people are going to go with big Nintendo titles for example, as Nintendo are a huge company, have huge media saturation and really push their IPs.

There are also things like what other games were out at the same time..maybe there was a lull in that period of gaming for that genre, one game came out and everyone thought it was great. But looking back it's only because it was the only title of that nature so people were somewhat starved.

Were people blinded by the new visuals? When OOT came out, visually it was stunning. And a lot of people saw that and thought, jesus christ! best game ever! purely based on visuals.

It's a great game, there's no denying it. But I think the rose tinted spectacles are coming out for a lot of people who think it's the best game ever made, as it's far from it. I'd agree with Retr0 that most of the games in that list he has mentioned blow it out of the water.
    I would have played a link to the past when i was 7 or 8 i guess... a couple of years after release (We weren't rich so new releases were christmas time only :D) and i loved it, would have completed it a few times right up until n64 was released.

I played it first when I was 8 in Christmas 92. I was never the same person again :D my life was soon to be totally overtaken by playing and collecting videogames.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

It's a pretty easy list to get right

3. N+ (XBLA)
    2. Super Meat Boy (PC)
    1. Super Meat Boy (XBLA)

It's not and I'll tell you why. When it comes to what people think are the best games ever, there are a lot of unfair factors. Things like media saturation. Obviously lots of people are going to go with big Nintendo titles for example, as Nintendo are a huge company, have huge media saturation and really push their IPs.

There are also things like what other games were out at the same time..maybe there was a lull in that period of gaming for that genre, one game came out and everyone thought it was great. But looking back it's only because it was the only title of that nature so people were somewhat starved.

Were people blinded by the new visuals? When OOT came out, visually it was stunning. And a lot of people saw that and thought, jesus christ! best game ever! purely based on visuals.

It's a great game, there's no denying it. But I think the rose tinted spectacles are coming out for a lot of people who think it's the best game ever made, as it's far from it. I'd agree with Retr0 that most of the games in that list he has mentioned blow it out of the water.

I played it first when I was 8 in Christmas 92. I was never the same person again :D my life was soon to be totally overtaken by playing and collecting videogames.

They hardly blow it out of the water lol..... Im not saying those games arent his/your favorite... im saying they're not mine. You're only a year older than me so i doubt you've played many games that i haven't. I KNOW how much i loved OOT, its the one console game that i've probably spent well over 100 hours playing and the one that i can remember almost every inch of the map. Rose tinted or not... it is my favorite and therefore IN MY OPINION (not yours) a top 5 game. Also a LttP is one of my favorites aswel.. im a huge zelda fan, i'd probably have 5 games in my top 20.

I'll have a go with MY top 10

1. HL(1+2 :D) - Although i loved the single player its the MP aspects that make this my #1
    2. WoW - I dont care what anyone says, its probably the best made game of all time.. graphics wise its still holding its own after 6 years.
    3. OOT - Childhood favorite
    4. Brokensword series
    5. Super Mario World
    6. Deus Ex
    7. Age of empires 2 - My introduction to online gaming
    8. Super Mario Kart
    9. Return to Castle Wolfenstien
    10. Diablo II

outside the top 5, theres probably 10-15 other games that could go in the next 5 spots tbh.

Master of the Universe

They hardly blow it out of the water lol.....

Well, if we're doing the whole 'In my opinion' thing, they do..as it's my opinion :p

Not saying it's not great, it is, but meh, personally, I'd rather something a bit more interesting. It just the same old Zelda formula, this time in 3D. It's already been done perfectly before in ALTTP.
    You're only a year older than me so i doubt you've played many games that i haven't.

I'm not doubting that you've played lots of games. I just know I've played lots in the last 20 years (I have somewhere between 600-1000 in my games room..I've lost count! :D) which puts me in a pretty good position to say 'hey, you're missing X game from your list' when I see these 'BEST GAME EVAR' things popping up.
    I KNOW how much i loved OOT, its the one console game that i've probably spent well over 100 hours playing and the one that i can remember almost every inch of the map. Rose tinted or not... it is my favorite and therefore IN MY OPINION (not yours) a top 5 game. Also a LttP is one of my favorites aswel.. im a huge zelda fan, i'd probably have 5 games in my top 20.

When it comes to 'in my opinion' lists, you can have anything you want. I'm not disputing that. Hell, someone could have Tomb Raider in the number 1 spot because of all the good fappage memories from when they were 16. Whatever floats their boat...it is their opinion and taste afterall.

I was coming at OOT from a 'BEST GAME EVAR, IN THE WORLD, NOT PERSONAL OPINION, BUT FACT!' view which you see on a lot of gaming sites. It's topped a lot of lists. Which I think is just extremely misguided.

I'll have a go with MY top 10

1. HL(1+2 :D) - Although i loved the single player its the MP aspects that make this my #1
    2. WoW - I dont care what anyone says, its probably the best made game of all time.. graphics wise its still holding its own after 6 years.
    3. OOT - Childhood favorite
    4. Brokensword series
    5. Super Mario World
    6. Deus Ex
    7. Age of empires 2 - My introduction to online gaming
    8. Super Mario Kart
    9. Return to Castle Wolfenstien
    10. Diablo II

outside the top 5, theres probably 10-15 other games that could go in the next 5 spots tbh.

You do have some great games in there. The original HL would be my favourite FPS of all time. As far as platformers go, I'd be stuck between Super Mario World and Super Mario 3.

• Advertisement

Well, if we're doing the whole 'In my opinion' thing, they do..as it's my opinion :p

Not saying it's not great, it is, but meh, personally, I'd rather something a bit more interesting. It just the same old Zelda formula, this time in 3D. It's already been done perfectly before in ALTTP.

In fairness... it was still a newish formula when OOT was released :D

I'm not doubting that you've played lots of games. I just know I've played lots in the last 20 years (I have somewhere between 600-1000 in my games room..I've lost count! :D) which puts me in a pretty good position to say 'hey, you're missing X game from your list' when I see these 'BEST GAME EVAR' things popping up.

I am very much the same mate, although i've had to sell/throw out alot of my PS1/2 games because of the space they take up !!

When it comes to 'in my opinion' lists, you can have anything you want. I'm not disputing that. Hell, someone could have Tomb Raider in the number 1 spot because of all the good fappage memories from when they were 16. Whatever floats their boat...it is their opinion and taste afterall.

I was coming at OOT from a 'BEST GAME EVAR, IN THE WORLD, NOT PERSONAL OPINION, BUT FACT!' view which you see on a lot of gaming sites. It's topped a lot of lists. Which I think is just extremely misguided.

I never take those lists any more than one persons opinion, its good to see what have as they're favorite games but theres never really a "Greatest game ever".

You do have some great games in there. The original HL would be my favourite FPS of all time. As far as platformers go, I'd be stuck between Super Mario World and Super Mario 3.

Im actually a bit wierd in that i prefered Super Mario 2 over 3 :D Although i'd agree that the 3rd is a better game in general.

Well I wasn't taking it from a personal opinion perspective, I was trying to be a bit more subjective. It's like how for me Super Metroid is what I would consider the greatest game ever made. Everything just came together with it to make something as close to perfect as gaming will ever get. However in my own personal list I'd have Mother 3 or panzer dragoon saga ahead of it. Those games aren't the gaming perfection of Super Metroid but as a big JRPG fan and while playing them they had a huge emotional effect on me.

I think LttP does everything OoT does better but it's fair for you to say that you got a whole lot more out of OoT. There's really not much difference between how great those two games are. There's those that would argue that Twilight Princess is better since it's OoT but better looking.

Well I wasn't taking it from a personal opinion perspective, I was trying to be a bit more subjective. It's like how for me Super Metroid is what I would consider the greatest game ever made. Everything just came together with it to make something as close to perfect as gaming will ever get. However in my own personal list I'd have Mother 3 or panzer dragoon saga ahead of it. Those games aren't the gaming perfection of Super Metroid but as a big JRPG fan and while playing them they had a huge emotional effect on me.

I think LttP does everything OoT does better but it's fair for you to say that you got a whole lot more out of OoT. There's really not much difference between how great those two games are. There's those that would argue that Twilight Princess is better since it's OoT but better looking.

There are people that would agrue back and forth about alot of things, i could agrue that world of warcraft is a superior game to any other using facts and figures to back it up... You could argue that counterstrike the best game ever made because of how balanced and long lasting the game has been... Im sure some people would even argue that CoD4 is the best game ever made.

Really.. its like music.. there are far too many genres and personal tastes for one game to be crowned king.

There are quite a few things that LttP doesnt do at all which really added to the OOT experience tho, so no... LttP doesnt do everything that OOT does better.

Well you could say that the 3rd dimension brought a few new things to OoT but I'd argue that the game wasn't entirely successful. I felt LttP controlled better and as a result played better. Dungeon design was better and consistently brilliant while OoT stumbled at times with the water temple and Lens of Truth temples being a bit duff. The stealth section in the desert was also a slog. LttP for me is consistently amazing and well paced while OoT for how amazing it is has a few points in the game where the action slows down, the controls let it down a little or some sections that aren't as well designed as the rest of the game. That's why when I say LttP does everything OoT does but better I mean it's the same formula as OoT but done better and why I think it's the better game.

I'd probably take Majora's Mask over OoT as well just for how good the story was and how wildly ambtious it is, there's nothing else like it. I'd have to think about that one though.

Master of the Universe

Do you really think Mother 3 is better than Super Metroid?

Maybe you're still basking in the 'post fantastic game glow' which makes whatever you were playing better than anything in the universe :D

It's a tough one. I think Mother 3 is the best RPG I've ever played and has one of the best stories of any game. I haven't been as emotionally invested in a game ever. The damn thing nearly brought me to tears. The writing in that game is just genius, there's a interview with the writer of it that I was reading where the interviewer teared up when he remembered the ending, it will do that to you :) It's also backed up with amazng 2D visuals, music and some of the best RPG battle mechanics since Persona 3 and 4. It's also a hugely satidfying conclusion to the series. I haven't enjoyed a game more than I enjoyed Mother 3. So on a personal level Mother 3 is my favourite game ever.

On the other hand I still think Super Metroid is the better designed game. It's a perfectly made 8-12 hour game that I can't find any fault in but is so perfectly designed that you can go back to it and speed run and sequence break it. Personally though, it didn't have the emotional effect on me that Mother 3 had and that means more to my own personal list.

If I was to do a list of the best games ever made though that wasn't subjective then Super Metroid would be topping that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

:eek:

I leave this for a few days and look what happens! Aw.

After skimming through the previous posts (therefore having full grasp of what's going on), I'm wondering why Super Meat Boy is being mentioned? I tried a demo of it a while ago and didn't think it stood up or was comparable to any 'next-gen' games. Unless it's moving backwards to go forwards...........or something. But then again it's all objective (as previously mentioned too).

My only worry is lumping games from different genres in to one list. You just can't do that!

I'm going to have to put my vote in for Portal to make it though. It's a breath of fresh air for both puzzling and FPS's's..........'s.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

As far a zelda games go, I've only ever really loved 3 of them - ALttP, Link's Awakening and OoT (that's the order I played them in, all at or close to their release).

In my opinion (and I hasten to emphasise that), OoT is not only the best Zelda game, but the best game ever made. You can argue with me all day that I'm misguided, unoriginal, or that Super Metroid, Chrono Trigger, any of the Marios or your chosen game is better (and you'd certainly have ground to stand on in those particular cases), but no discussion will change my opinion. And who am I to tell you your opinion was wrong either.

As far as ALttP vs OoT is concerned, if we're comparing the mechanics of the 2 games I'd say that where OoT really improved things was in the battle system. The lock-on was genius, and made it feel like actual swordplay at times, rather than just 'get within range, strike, rinse, repeat'. Also the dungeons, while not perfect, actually felt different from each other, whereas in ALttP I thought they were relatively indistinguishable from each other - show me a random picture from one of the later ones and I'd struggle to tell you which one it was.

So yeah, top-ten lists are pretty useless.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

It's a perfectly made 8-12 hour game

noob

i preferred wind waker to OoT :s dunno, I just loved the feel of the game and the boat and such

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

How about those fantastic CDi games, eh?

Advertisement